Mmf Disaster!!

Decorating By Lybby2000 Updated 8 Oct 2007 , 5:06am by kayscake

Lybby2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lybby2000 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 1:43am
post #1 of 18

OK ladies, I'm not sure where to post this (decorating or Disasters) but I thought I might get a few more responses here...

I made some MMF for my daughters birthday cake (not my first time making it) and it turned out horrible!! I used Jet puff (sp) marshmallows (which was a first) and the new 0 Trans fat Crisco to roll it out (which was also a first) and it was like mush! I've never seen it do that before... I added more PS and it would be fine and then I would go to roll it out and it would just start to mush on me! Not just sticky/gooey, but something differentI cant really explain it
Has anyone ever had this problem?!? I was so bummed--I had big plans for that cake! icon_sad.gif

17 replies
ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 3:27am
post #2 of 18

Hmmm.. not sure what happened. I know I use the store brand marshmellows and do not usually have consistency problems. There is a post somewhere recently where they discussed the off brand ones were better as the branded ones tended to go too soft.

Sorry I couldn't be more help icon_smile.gif I hope all works out well for you.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 11:38am
post #3 of 18

Actually Val LOL, I have more problems with off store brands then Kraft marshmallows icon_rolleyes.gif So we are complete opposites (sp)

Sounds almost like you had added too much liquid in the beginning....then once you started to add your ps back into it..you added to much. What I would do is warm it just a tad in the microwave (not to long) knead it for a little while...if it is still mushy, breaking when you fold it over add just a tad bit of crisco. knead it some more...keep kneading it because it will all of a sudden just come together. I know someone accidentally added 3 tablespoons of water and had the same exact problem.

HTH's

Have a great day!!

Christi

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 11:48am
post #4 of 18

Did you let it rest overnight before trying to roll it out? Whe nI used to use mmf, I would have the same problem if I didn't let it rest. Now I use Michelle Foster's fondant recipe, and have no problems at all. I started having tons of problems with mmf so I stopped using it. Michelle's tastes much better and is easier t omake and work with anyway.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 12:05pm
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

Did you let it rest overnight before trying to roll it out? Whe nI used to use mmf, I would have the same problem if I didn't let it rest. Now I use Michelle Foster's fondant recipe, and have no problems at all. I started having tons of problems with mmf so I stopped using it. Michelle's tastes much better and is easier t omake and work with anyway.

I have to say i starting to not like mmf, it tears and its sticky no matter what i do to it. the only thing i like about it is that it taste ok and its inexpensive. other wise wouldn't use it at all. I have people that wouldn't pay for the satin ice, so i was forced to use the mmf. icon_mad.gif

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 12:19pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by momvarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

I have to say i starting to not like mmf, it tears and its sticky no matter what i do to it. the only thing i like about it is that it taste ok and its inexpensive. other wise wouldn't use it at all. I have people that wouldn't pay for the satin ice, so i was forced to use the mmf. icon_mad.gif

You don't buy Michele's, you make it at home. Here's the recipe...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

It is inexpensive to make, and I find it much less messy and easier to make and use.

momvarden Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 18

thanks for the link will have to try it, before my next cake.

anku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anku Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 9:34pm
post #8 of 18

How much does this recipe makes? And where can I find Glycerine from?

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 10:14pm
post #9 of 18

you know i made mmf for the first time myself and even though the taste was great...it was weird and very sticky...like once on the cake i couldn't smooth it....i added more ps but for some reason just wouldn't get dry....and then it would tear and stick to the surface i managed to work with it but i don't know....i know i did something wrong.....i am going to try that receipe too!!!! thanks!!!!!

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 10:27pm
post #10 of 18

you can buy glycerine at cake deco stores and maybe even hobby lobby-- I swear I have seen it there.

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 10:36pm
post #11 of 18

Well I've read all your coments and I see one thing missing from all your MMF you've made. Corn Syrup. I have had only good results from my recipe, here it is for you to try:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3113-1-Lisas-Best-MMF-Ever.html

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask! thumbs_up.gif

Good luck to you!

onegr8girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onegr8girl Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 10:49pm
post #13 of 18

Okay first of all, I made my first batch of Toba Garrett's fondant yesterday and it was awesome! Recipe is on this site. Super easy, mixed right up in my KA and I let it rest overnight and it was perfect today.

Glycerine with a cake decorating label (ie Wilton) is generally sold in small bottles for more money. I went to the pharmacy at Target and bought a bottle more than twice the size for less money and it's the same thing.

jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 11:03pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by anku

I stopped in at the local pharmacy and got a good sized bottle of glycerine for about $4--cheaper that at the specialty cake shop!!

jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 11:04pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by anku

I stopped in at the local pharmacy and got a good sized bottle of glycerine for about $4--cheaper that at the specialty cake shop!!

momvarden Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 2:35pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegr8girl

Okay first of all, I made my first batch of Toba Garrett's fondant yesterday and it was awesome! Recipe is on this site. Super easy, mixed right up in my KA and I let it rest overnight and it was perfect today.

Glycerine with a cake decorating label (ie Wilton) is generally sold in small bottles for more money. I went to the pharmacy at Target and bought a bottle more than twice the size for less money and it's the same thing.

I am glad you said this because years ago when i took the wilton class i made my own fondant and used the pharmacy glycerine to do it and it work but always felt guilty.....because i thought it was not the food grade one. Thank you. thumbs_up.gif

weddingsbymindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weddingsbymindy Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 2:00pm
post #17 of 18

OK this is interesting I never use any liquid in my mmf!!!!!!! I melt mm to just melted don't over melt to runny consistency it ruins the stretchiness, by accident a helper added water & what a mess. I have always used only mm& sugar. Water makes the mixture sticky & it likes to tear also.

1 package 10-12 oz mm
Melt to just melted, stir with greased silicone spatula
Sift sugar into large 16 cake pan, I rarely use this size for baking anyway
Coat hands with Crisco
Mix 2-cups sugar into melted mm bowl
Drop into pan of sugar need until is feeling stiff
Have clear vinyl ready, greased with Crisco
Move ball to vinyl & kneed some Crisco 1/4 cup into fresh mmf
Use greased vinyl to roll out
Store by wrapping in press & seal, keeps very fresh

I Never refrigerate
I Never add water
Do reheat in microwave to use
Happy to use any brand, some are different color
Look for non sticking mm in package fresh ones will not stick to package. My recipe never rips, ever!

Yes 100% of all cakes we make are mmf just check my web site!

kayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayscake Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 5:06am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momkiksbutt

Well I've read all your coments and I see one thing missing from all your MMF you've made. Corn Syrup. I have had only good results from my recipe, here it is for you to try:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3113-1-Lisas-Best-MMF-Ever.html

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask! thumbs_up.gif

Good luck to you!

I just looked at your recipe from the link, where is the corn syrup?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%