Help!!!!! Ice Cream Cone Cupcake Volcanoes!!!! Why????!!!!

Decorating By balijazz Updated 6 Oct 2007 , 1:15am by Marysmom

balijazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
balijazz Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 1:38am
post #1 of 4

HISTORY: Three years ago my daughter princess.gif asked for the cupcakes baked in an ice cream cone for her birthday. Easy request, right? thumbs_up.gif I had made them several times in the past with no problems. However... on this occasion when I put the cupcakes into the oven to bake they look perfect, nicely mounded starting to brown, for about the first 14 minutes of bake time. Then, like lava flowing from a volcano, raw batter pours out the top and over the side of the cone! icon_mad.gif That year I gave up after the third cake mix!!! icon_evil.gif I decided it had to be the ovens (I have two) since we had recently moved into a different home. Since then I have used an oven test thermometer and determined my ovens were indeed about 25' off and have had no problems since I began adjusting the tempeture to account for the difference. thumbs_up.gif
THE PROBLEM: This week my daughter princess.gif announced that she once again wanted these cupcakes for her school birthday treat... I went to the oven feeling confident and happy that I was going to make her little wish come true, icon_biggrin.gif especially since this will be her last year to take birthday treats to school icon_cry.gif 15 minutes pass... I look through the oven window at perfectly mounded little cakes thumbs_up.gif ... At 18 minutes the timer sounds and I open the oven door to cupcake VOLCANOES!!!!! icon_evil.gif
What is going on here????!!!!!!!!!! I called my mommy on the verge of tears, but she wasn't any help at all icon_confused.gif I am pleading with all of you with your infinite knowledge... PLEASE... tell me what could be happening!!!!
I don't really have time to try again ouch.gif Her birthday is tomorrow, the store is closed, and I'm out of ice cream cones, but there will surely be a next time... I hope my husband can stop at Krispie Kreme on his way home!!! birthday.gif

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 6:14am
post #2 of 4

Welcome to Cake Central. The only guess I have is that there is too much batter in the cones. It doesn't take very much.

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 6:48am
post #3 of 4

Here's a quick recipe
Follow directions on cake mix. Fill cones two thirds full, put cupcake papers in tins place filled cone in tin. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. Cool frost and decorate.

Or Maybe try this Betty Crocker recipe - It's and upside down version

1. Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
2. Make cake batter as directed on box. Fill each cup 3/4 full of batter . Place ice cream cone upside down on batter in each cup (push it way in)
3. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean (cones may tilt on batter). Cool completely, about 30 minutes. Remove paper baking cups. Generously frost cake with frosting, and decorate as desired. Store loosely covered.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Follow High Altitude directions on cake mix box. Fill cones about 1/2 full to make 36 to 40 cones. Bake 20 to 25 minutes.

I've made these before without overflow. Not sure if I filled them 2/3rds.

Good Luck next try.

Dee in AZ

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 1:15am
post #4 of 4

Here's another idea. I saw this in a Betty Crocker magazine.

Start by baking equal amounts of regular sized cupcakes and mini cupcakes. You can use cupcake liners if you want, but you'll have to remove them later.

Next, fill flat bottomed cones with small candies like M&Ms or gummy bears. Then take a regular sized cupcake (removing liner - if used) and lightly frost only the top. Set it upside down on the cone. Then frost the sides. You then top that with one mini cupcake and frost that. The recipe said you should add some extra frosting to make it look like nice swirly cone. Then you can decorate with sprinkles if you want.

Does that make any sense at all? I'm not sure if I'm explaining very well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%