Is $70 Too Much For My Farm?

Decorating By reesesob Updated 4 Oct 2007 , 4:19am by superstar

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 1:09am
post #1 of 14

I have been asked to do my farm cake for someone and I said I could deffinatly do it, but that it would be between $70-$80.

When I did it for my son, it took about 8 hours and I am sure that since I have done it before I could do it a little faster this time. But that would still only be about $10 an hour. Do you think I'm crazying quoting this?

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=929763

13 replies
revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 1:14am
post #2 of 14

I think it's a fair price! Your cake is cute!

kcat3740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcat3740 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 1:21am
post #3 of 14

No $70 is not to much! That is a fair price considering all the work you put into it thumbs_up.gif However, I understand how you feel since I too have a hard time charging what I really should icon_redface.gif We know our time is valuable and that it is a lot of work, but still it just sounds like so much for a cake! icon_lol.gif But rest assured, that is a fair price and there are definately people who would pay you that much. If someone doesn't want to pay that much then why waste your time? You don't want to end up resenting having to do a cake!

And, your cake is adorable!! thumbs_up.gif

amodeoandrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amodeoandrea Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 1:24am
post #4 of 14

I think that is more than fare. I need to learn to charge more. My sister makes and sells clay animals and people. She charges $10-$20 a piece. She yells at me for not doing the same. Your farm is a a piece of art. You should be paid for your time and creativity!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 1:35am
post #5 of 14

No way is that too much, it's not enough. That farm is so cute, and the animals look great.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 1:36am
post #6 of 14

Actually, I am thinking more like $120! You have so many farm animals and then you even have the barn standing up! That is some talent and also a very cute cake! I would go higher but, that would be depending on your area.

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 1:41am
post #7 of 14

I thinkh it's too fair! I made a farm not too long ago for a friend and am making one this week for my best girlfriend's daughter. The amount of time spent in making all that is worth far more than $70.00!

Elle

CheriN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CheriN Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 1:49am
post #8 of 14

That's an awesome cake! I too think that you are definetly NOT charging too much! Great work comes at a price. icon_biggrin.gif

ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 2:40am
post #9 of 14

With time and materials, I would think $70 is the lowest you should go. It took time to do all the small pieces and various colors. Don't be afraid to charge more than that. Good job!

sisita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisita Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 2:49am
post #10 of 14

I think is soo cute, great idea..

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 2:57am
post #11 of 14

Thank you all so much. I always feel like when tell someone I price I am crazy!!! But then when I see other people asking about thier cakes, I think they are nuts for under pricing.

I was going to say 90-100 but my freind thought I was out of my mind, and since I've only done a handful of cakes, I went with 70-80. Again, if it takes me 8 hours that only 10 an hour not including supplies.

Well,I guess if she wants it bad enough, I'll hear from her tomorrow.

Oh yeah, and did I mention that she called today for this SAT?!?

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 2:59am
post #12 of 14

Since you told her it would be 70 to 80 you need to stick with the higher price of 80.00 IMO. Your cake is worth more than that but once we say a price it locks us in and that bites! Never under quote your work by doubting yourself! thumbs_up.gif

babybundt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybundt Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 3:07am
post #13 of 14

you should be charging more. you will be getting $10 per hour but what about the cost for the materials? if you add up the cost for all your ingredients and supplies i am going to bet you will be working for way less than $10 hour. general rule of thumb is cost of all ingridients and materials times 3. your work is beautiful..... icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 4:19am
post #14 of 14

I think you could have charged more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%