Can I Use This For A Cake Pan

Decorating By Granpam Updated 6 Oct 2007 , 9:20pm by Granpam

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 10

I need to make a cave cake for a housewarming party.. I picked up this bowl at Wally World but I'm not sure I can use it for a cake pan. I will set it on top of an 11x15. It is stainless steel and holds 20 cups of water so I figured half full would be about right. Do you think a large flower nail would suffice as a heating core or would I need something longer? If so what would you suggest. Thanks.
LL
LL

9 replies
CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 10

My only question would be is it oven safe?

I used a stanless bowl once and it worked just fine. on that i wouldn't use a nail. I'd just let it bake up and trim. I'd think it'd be hard to get the nail out of that shape.

Good luck.

cCc

ppm713 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ppm713 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 10

I have used a glass bowl to make a cake before, so I am sure you can use this bowl. There is a pan used to make a doll cake that is the same shape. I don't know how many cups it holds, but you can probably look on the wilton sight to find out. Hope this helps.

Shaynamills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shaynamills Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 10

I have this exact bowl and have used it with the flower nail and it did wonderfully. I used it on my doll cake in my pics. It takes a bit longer to bake so bake at 325 but it will work for you. HTH
Shayna

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 10:30pm
post #5 of 10

Yes on the bowl; yes on the flower nail.

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 10

Yep, I have one like it and use it all the time. Bake a little on the lower end of the thermo though...

icon_smile.gif

Granpam Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 1:02am
post #7 of 10

Thanks everyone. Glad I can use it because it is so much bigger than the doll pan.

mracker27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mracker27 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 10

How in the world would you use a flower nail in a bowl like this? I guess I don't understand. I use them as heating cores with flat 2" round/square cakes, but I don't know how I'd use one in a bowl.

Shaynamills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shaynamills Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 10

Well the dome shape has a small flat bottom so you put the nail at the bottom, pour your batter and then bake. When you flip your cake over just pull the nail out. HTH

Granpam Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 9:20pm
post #10 of 10

Well it took two tries but it worked. I think I had a bad mix as it was runnier than normal and after 1 1/2 hour in the oven it still was soup in the middle. My second attempt worked fine but I went to my daughters and got the heating tube from her doll pan and slipped it over the nail. I didn't have time or want the waste of another cake. It wasn't even salvageable for cake balls. Here is the finished cake.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1117793&done=1

edited by me for typos

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%