Wheat Field Cake??? Simple Ideas Needed.

Decorating By Rambo Updated 9 Oct 2007 , 11:12pm by Rambo

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 7

So I'm doing my first ever wedding cake this week, six tiers all covered in mmf. Lots of work to do on top of my normal day to day. Aside from this monster I also need to make a groomscake. The bride gave me a John Deere tractor toy to go on top and wants it to look like a wheat field. It's going to be a 10" square, carrot cake and I plan on using cream cheese decorators icing, but I need ideas for the field. The simpler the better as I'm already feeling a bit overwhelmed.

TIA icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 7

Ooh, wheat field! Ok, use a brown (I use wilton because that's what I've got) get a nice golden brown, then pipe it in thin "stalks" up the sides... use a smaller tip (maybe a leaf tip?) or grass tip to make the tops fluffy... use the grass tip on top to make it look field-ish, then use a basketweave tip going behind the tractor to make it look like he's already harvested that part of the field? How's that?!!? Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

That cream cheese frosting sounds SO yummy right now!

krazykat_14 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 7

So how did the wheat field go?

Rambo Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 7

Sorry I never got back to thank you for your reply. I still haven't quiete recovered from all that cake consuming my house. It went pretty good. I used the grass tip and drug my comb across the top where the tractor "had plowed". I thought it looked pretty good and so did the others who saw it. The bride was a bit catatonic (as most seem to be) so it was hard to read her

Any way I don't think I'll be doing many Weddings....too much stress. Thanks again

krazykat_14 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 7

Well, don't write them off yet. While in the middle of doing my first wedding cake, I swore I would never do it again, I started wondering if I even liked cake decorating... then the delivery went bad... it was terrible. But once I got over the trauma of that whole thing, I still like doing cakes. I've got dummies coming to practice on so that when and if I get any more ambitious cakes, I'll be more prepared...

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 7

Pictures?

I had to laugh at your post, because I said the SAME EXACT THING after my first wedding cake and groom's cake, I did my 2nd ones this weekend. And I SAID IT AGAIN!! I'll do either or, but I will NOT do BOTH again! I HATE having my kitchen in such disarray! Cakes were EVERYWHERE!!!! I am doing a wedding cake for my SIL in November, but that is her wedding gift.

Rambo Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 7

I don't have any pictures at the moment. I was in such a fluster I forgot my camera. icon_sad.gif But my SIL promised she'd find one for me. I can honestly say I'm glad we're approaching Pie and Cookie season because I'm definately caked out for a bit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%