Pricing For Cake Balls...how Much?

Decorating By WarEagle Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 11:53am by sinfullysweettreat

WarEagle Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 15

I've searched the internet and found several prices for cake balls, but have no idea how much to price mine. I've seen them from $.80 each to $4.69 (the latter are Nieman Marcus - 18 cake balls plus shipping are $84.50!)
No one around here makes them, and I've put samples out several places, and have had questions about making a pricing chart...but I don't know what to price!

Also...how large do you make your Cake Balls? I've been making them either in balls about 3/4" large, or either in candy molds, a little smaller.
What is a good size?

Thanks in advance for any help / advice you can give me!!!

14 replies
wolfley29 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 15

I make 2 different sizes of cake balls, large are 1 tablespoon and mini are 1 teaspoon. I charge $12 for one dozen large or 2 dozen minis. HTH

BTW, where in Alabama are ya?

WarEagle Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 15

Thanks for the information...that helps!

I'm in southwest Alabama...close to Monroeville...our claim to fame is that Harper Lee (who wrote "To Kill a Mockingbird") is from here!

Kate714 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 15

Mine are fairly large, but vary. Probably more than an inch. I charge $8 a dozen, $15 for two dozen. More than that, $6 per dozen. Nobody flinches at the price.

good luck!

WarEagle Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 12:38am
post #5 of 15

Thanks, Kate714 and wolfley29...I know so many people here make cake balls, but didn't know their prices...I appreciate your input to help me...

msthang1224 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 15

Yeah, thanks because I was wondering the same thing. i meanbeing that they are small, i wasn't sure how much to charge either.

lu9129 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 7:03pm
post #7 of 15

I get 10 dollars a dozen.

Lu

WarEagle Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 11:56am
post #8 of 15

Thanks, Lu...that's what I ended up pricing mine at! icon_biggrin.gif

sinfullysweettreat Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 15

Ok, I know you guys are gonna think I am crazy. But I live in a hole in the wall in West Virginia and I made cake balls for my work and now I am getting requests for them. I know you guys are charging anywhere from $6-12 per dozen, but I said $5 a dozen and I thought ppl was gonna fall over. They are wanting $3 per dozen. Is this way too cheap? Is it worth just not selling them at all? Please help, I'm really in a bind here. Thanks guys so much!!

Tina

sportsmom005 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:56pm
post #10 of 15

Tell those people who are falling over to try making them...there is alot of work involved! These are homemade and hand-dipped in chocolate, that takes awhile. Plus, I doll mine up-for my pumpkin spice ones, I sprinkled them with cinnamon and chopped pecans and package them in candy cups. At $3.00 per dozen, would you even be making a profit? Not to mention, would it cover the time you spent making them?

CountryCakes2007 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:33pm
post #11 of 15

Hi everyone! I'd like to ask a stupid question, how do you make them? I've never even heard of them!LOL They are really cute! I'm always the last to know anything!

Kate714 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:34pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfullysweettreat

Ok, I know you guys are gonna think I am crazy. But I live in a hole in the wall in West Virginia and I made cake balls for my work and now I am getting requests for them. I know you guys are charging anywhere from $6-12 per dozen, but I said $5 a dozen and I thought ppl was gonna fall over. They are wanting $3 per dozen. Is this way too cheap? Is it worth just not selling them at all? Please help, I'm really in a bind here. Thanks guys so much!!

Tina

$3 a dozen is crazy! even if you live in a hole in the wall! it is not worth your time...and yes, you would spend more just to make them!

agagnier Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 6:02pm
post #13 of 15

I get $6.00 for 10 or $20 for 40

KimAZ Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:03am
post #14 of 15

I wanted to share that I purposely stopped into Sees Candy store at the mall the other day just to see what they charge for something they call truffles. Granted, they may not be actually made the way we make cake balls but probably similar. Anyway, they are $1.25 each and are bite size.
So that kind of gives me an idea what they go for at retail stores.

KimAZ

sinfullysweettreat Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:53am
post #15 of 15

Hey guys, thanks so much for your input. I have decided to sell them for $8.00 a dozen or not to sell them at all. Simple as that. I am wanting to move to Carolina Coast in a year or so, so hopefully the experience I get here will help me open my store there. As my mom always said "Practice Makes Perfect" Don't you hate when your momma is right? ha ha. I will keep everyone updated on how well the $8 goes. I figured I can always go down on my pricing, but its so hard to go back up. Thanks again guys!! I so needed to vent this morning...

Ti

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%