Cake Board And Baking Strips

Decorating By Brandonsmommy Updated 3 Oct 2007 , 9:28pm by jenlg

Brandonsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandonsmommy Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 9

I am going to attempt the Onsie cake for a Baby Shower a friend is putting on. I don't have any idea what to put the cake on. I can get the board back but don't want to invest tons of $$ if I don't have to just in case.

So, What should I get to put it on that will be safe for tansport. Do I need to cover it?? Usually I don't b/c it's either walked from my door to my neighbors (they are my testers, haha) or DH just brings it into work and no one see him w/o it covered *they just look for the note that says "EAT ME" haha

I am going to get the BAking Strips and see if that works good for me to get a level cake. So, I'll be asking about those later!

I am going to use Cambo's idea of the cake onise, was going to do a fondant drape onsie but I think a carved cake will be cute too. I have free range w/ the cake for the most part icon_smile.gif

THanks!!

8 replies
Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 9

For a cake this large, I'd cut and glue together several or as many as three foam core boards and cover them with fondant and edge them with a ribbon of some sort. When I have a large cake to transport, I try to find a box the exact same size as the cake board. When it gets to the location, I tell them to cut the box away and slide the cake out and don't try to lift it to save the box for later, it won't work. Having a box the exact size of the cake board insures that the board won't slide around and damage the cake. Most of the time I can close the box or at least tape the flaps in the up position and cover the top with saran. If I don't have a box, I will buy one at the local shipping store.

Don't forget the flower nails to help the cake bake evenly.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 9

Baking strips were the best investment I've made yet for having a level cake! Just be sure to soak them really good in cold water.

Brandonsmommy Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 9

Do I need to cover in Fondant? Can I cover in something else. My neighbor isn't too thrilled w/ fondant and I am trying to stay away from it. Orginally I was going to do the drapped onsie but she wasn't too thrilled w/ it. I told her they could pull it off (doesn't like the taste of it and don't want to invest too much $$ into get Satin Ice just yet) So, I am going w/ the shaped cake.

With the strips, do I need to use a flower nail too along w/ the strips??

Thanks!!

jenlg Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 9

You don't have to use fondant, just stick with buttercream. Have you thought about trying the marshmallow fondant?

You don't have to use the nail with the strips.

Brandonsmommy Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 9

I got the strips, hope the are the right size icon_smile.gif

I have thought about mmf BUT on a different cake since this isn't just a practice cake but for a real party. I'll save that for a practice cake and send in to work w/ DH for the TESTERS to try. The have offered to be the testers. I did do a paid cake for them that they loved, it was chocolate w/ coconut frosting, and they said it tasted like the coconut/marshmellow snowballs you get from hostess (i think it's hostess). That's why I am doing coconut for this cake, my neighbor came over to eat the top off that one and LOVED the taste of it.

Off to bake..........wish me LUCK!!! VERY late in starting and HOPE to have time to carve it tonite and still be able to frost it tomorrow nite. I have to work tomorrow and friday, orgianally not friday but needed the extra day so now.......CRUNCH time!! I gooffed off too much this AM!!

THANKS!!

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 9

I go to Home Depot, they have sheet of board I dont know what it is called, it usually runs about 3.95 per board but my hubby usually about four 12 X 16 sheets out of it. So you pay about 98 cents per board and I cover them with freezer paper

Patzzz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Patzzz Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 8:18pm
post #8 of 9

How do you use a flower nail for baking cakes? I hate using the strips. It seems I can never get them tight enough.

jenlg Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 9:28pm
post #9 of 9

Some people put the flower nail upside down in the middle of the cake. It somehow acts as a heat core in the center. At least that's how I heard it described.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%