Candy Molds - How Do I Use It? Stupid Question, I Know

Decorating By Momofjakeandjosh Updated 3 Oct 2007 , 4:10pm by pottedmeatchunks

Momofjakeandjosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjakeandjosh Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 5

I ordered the candy molds of tools to use on my son's cake. He wants a tool cake and I love the peg board ones on here. I tried making tools of fondant without success. My sons could make better ones out of playdough, I'm no artist. So, I got the candy molds. I was hoping it came with instructions, but no such luck. So, bare with my stupidity here and help me! I've never used these before. Here are my questions:

1. What kind of candy do you melt to pour in there? Do you use those disk looking ones at Michaels or do you get something else?

2. When you pour it in, I'm assuming you refrigerate it to harden right? How do you make it smooth in the back or does that do it automatically?

3. How do you get the candy out in one piece? Does it just fall out or do you peel the mold off? Do I spray cooking spray on the mold before pouring the candy in?

4. How do you get the two tone color? Like the screwdriver one color and the gray tip part the other color? Won't the first color run all over the bottom of the mold when I pour it in?

I'm sure I have more questions, but I can't think of any right now, so any other helpful hints you've found with candy molds would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

4 replies
ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 5

Candy molds are REALLY easy, I promise!

Yes, buy the candy melts at Michael's or A C Moore, or wherever you can buy that product. There are other ways to make the candy, but let's just go the easiest route here, right? EDIT: Some people melt them in the microwave. I go the old-fashioned route, melting them somewhat slowly in a double-boiler. You just have to be careful not to get it too hot or to get any steam/water in the candy.

You do not need to refrigerate it so it hardens, if you use candy melts. Just give it enough time and it becomes nice and hard just like they were when they were little disks. Now, I have put mine in the freezer for just a short while, but some may tell you that may change the finish on your candy. I never had a problem.

It should just pop right out of the mold, if you have let it completely harden. Every once in a while, I ran into a mold that was a little more difficult, but almost all the time, they pop right out. When you use candy melts, you do nothing to prepare the mold!

Two toned colors are achieved by carefully adding the first color (sometimes with a paint brush), letting that completely harden, and then applying the next color, with a paint brush, if necessary. Just remember to completely paint the area that you need to be that color.

Years ago, I would make candy before I left for school in the mornings (I was a teacher). I promise, this is one of the easiest things you can do!

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 5

1. What kind of candy do you melt to pour in there? Do you use those disk looking ones at Michaels or do you get something else?

I get the candy melts from Michaels. They work fine.

2. When you pour it in, I'm assuming you refrigerate it to harden right? How do you make it smooth in the back or does that do it automatically?

After I pour in the candy melts I tap the mold on the counter a few times to get out the air bubbles and it smoothes the back. I then stick them in the fridge to harden.

3. How do you get the candy out in one piece? Does it just fall out or do you peel the mold off? Do I spray cooking spray on the mold before pouring the candy in?

Just turn them upside down once they are hard and tap on the counter. They should fall out. You do not need cooking spray. They chould be clean and dry.

4. How do you get the two tone color? Like the screwdriver one color and the gray tip part the other color? Won't the first color run all over the bottom of the mold when I pour it in?

I just use the first color, let it set up a little and then use the second color.

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 5

my hint is to get more colors out of the wilton candy melts you can mix white with a color to get a pastel or lighter color. i make light green froggies this way icon_biggrin.gif

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 5

wait i have another hint!!! if you have a kroger near you LUCKY YOU!!! they sell store brand "chocolate bark" SUPER CHEAP! you have to melt a pretty big chunk at a time (they come in large bricks as opposed to discs) but it works awesome and is soooo much cheaper than wilton. we don't have kroger in maryland so last time i visited home I literally stuffed my suitcase full of chocolate bark icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%