Cake Business Vs Cakes On The Side

Business By MomoRox Updated 13 Aug 2005 , 8:46pm by ljberry

MomoRox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomoRox Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 3

It seems that most of you do your cakes from home? Do you just claim your income and pay full price for your supplies and don't expense them? I am trying to figure out how I am supposed to be doing this since I am now realizing that to officially have a business you can't do it from your home unless you have permits and such.

2 replies
merry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merry Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 3

It varies from state to state, but you need to get information from your town or county where you live to open a legal kitchen/store for baking. Sometimes you need a separate kitchen in your home, pass a sanitation course, get tax ID number and the list goes on. Once you get your tax id# you can purchase products at wholesale price and bulk..........and be prepared to work 24/7. icon_eek.gif

merry

ljberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljberry Posted 13 Aug 2005 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 3

Hi! It depends on where you're from. It differs from state to state. I'm from Louisiana and you cannot sell food products from your home kitchen. You have to have a seperate building which must meet certain requirements. You can have a cake business from your home here but it must be completely seperate from your house and meet the same requirements as a commercial building. My friend and I opened a bakery here and learned as we went. It is a lot of work and very time consuming. We also worked full time jobs elsewhere. This was much too taxing on us and our families so we sold the business and went back to doing it from our home. thumbs_up.gif Check with your state's health dept for the requirements in your state for starting a cake business if thats what your looking to do. Good luck!!! Leah

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%