Mmf On Cookies Rocks!

Baking By JillK Updated 11 Oct 2007 , 2:03pm by JillK

JillK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillK Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 28

Finally, I've managed to post some photos to CC! icon_biggrin.gif

A few weeks ago, I decided on a whim to try out some decorated cookies -- the Allrecipes thick sugar cookie recipe someone on here posted a link to -- with MMF. I rolled and cut out the fondant pre-baking and put it on the cookies while they were warm .... so I was able to draw lines in the fondant while it was still soft. These are the flower cookies in my pics. icon_razz.gif

Encouraged by feedback, I made a few batches of fall-themed cookies: Pumpkins, footballs, sunflowers, autumn leaves. With the leaves, I marbled together red, orange, yellow and brown fondant and rolled it out. This photo is also in my pics ... sorry, I don't have the photo on this computer so I can't post it directly here. icon_redface.gif

The director at my son's preschool called and left a message asking where I bought the cookies because she wanted to buy more. icon_biggrin.gif I'm just a hobbyist, but for the preschool ...

27 replies
Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 28

They look absolutely perfect! Like something you would get at a high end bakery. Great work!

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 28

those are just lovely, will have to give this a try thanks for the idea.

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 28

They look great! I'm just been dabbling in cookies and still looking for my fav recipe. I will def. try this combo. Thanks for sharing icon_smile.gif

holliewest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliewest Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 28

Can you give me the link or the recipe and instruction to how you did these?

They are AWESOME!

saj_stuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saj_stuff Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 28

Super job! I think they look great. You have given me the inspiration to do cookies again...I've been a bit overwhelmed with cakes and I really miss cookies. YOU GO! Thanks for sharing!

nikki1201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1201 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 2:01pm
post #7 of 28

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Thick-Cut-Outs/Detail.aspx

Don't you love those cookies!? i always add a little extra flavoring (T. almond extract or vanilla, or any emulsions or concentrated flavorings.. i just used the Buttery Sweet Dough bakery emulsion and they were PERFECT! i roll them very thick, and people call my cookies "cake" cookies.... I hope you enjoyed the recipe!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 2:45pm
post #8 of 28

Those cookies look devine, I see the recipe is for 6 whole eggs plus 4 egg yolks? Is that right? Also , do you just use the regular homemade MMF? Thanks and keep those cookies coming.

nikki1201 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 2:54pm
post #9 of 28

The number of eggs is correct! (I wondered the same thing the first time i made them!) icon_eek.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 3:13pm
post #10 of 28

Thanks!!!!!!

gakali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gakali Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 3:27pm
post #11 of 28

Wow! They look amazing! thumbs_up.gif I've never given cookies a try, but yours have inspired me....! icon_biggrin.gif

JillK Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 3:30pm
post #12 of 28

Thank SO much everyone for your kind words!!! icon_razz.gif I can't wait to try things for Halloween and Christmas .... icon_biggrin.gif

nikki1201, thanks so much for that recipe! (Sorry, I couldn't remember who posted it the first time.) I've been looking for a sugar cookie recipe like that for years, and people are raving about them! I'll have to try that flavoring ... yay, another reason to justify a baking-goodies order .... icon_rolleyes.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 3:47pm
post #13 of 28

How does the MMF taste on the cookies? I've always wanted to try this, but knowing how most people peel fondant off of cake has me hesitant.

Does it have a weird texture compared to regular cookie icing?

nikki1201 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 3:56pm
post #14 of 28

debster... sorry! the recipe calls for 6 egg yolks and 4 whole eggs! sorry to confuse everyone! it IS printed correctly in the link!

JillK Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 5:30pm
post #15 of 28

MacsMom: I wasn't sure about the fondant either, but I used MMF rolled relatively thin and it was great! These cookies are nice and solid and the sweetness doesn't overwhelm them. The texture stayed nicely soft even after the cookies cooled, but I did kept them in a tightly sealed container to make sure it stayed that way.

I can't wait to try other flavorings in it. Peppermint extract MMF on chocolate cookies, maybe? Mmmm. Wonder if I can convert that cookie recipe to chocolate .... icon_biggrin.gif

I wouldn't use Wilton, which doesn't taste good at all and is the only ready-made fondant I've ever gotten my hands on. I'm finally going to order some Satin Ice and give that a shot, but I think I'll ultimately stick with the nice, cheap MMF. thumbs_up.gif The cookies were certainly eaten quickly enough, so I think everyone liked it.

wolfsonmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfsonmom Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 5:56pm
post #16 of 28

The cookies look great! Thanks for sharing - this thread is very informative.

loriann40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriann40 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:16pm
post #17 of 28

do you just put the mmf on warm cookies, or do you have to use buttercream to make it stick?

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:54pm
post #18 of 28

wow those look great!!! congratulations on a job well done!!!!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 8:13pm
post #19 of 28

Thanks JillK!

I tried Satin Ice and, while it is decent fondant, I still prefer MMF to work with and for flavor. I have heard several members say they like FondX better than Satin Ice, so I may try that for the heck of it. (It would be nice to find a fondant I like in darker colors icon_cool.gif )

Looks like my family gets another experiment with Christmas cookies!
We have a tried and true family recipe for sugar cookies and they yell at me everytime I try something different, but heck, one day I just might find a better one!

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 8:21pm
post #20 of 28

yes, this is better than piping designs on! I use mmf on my cookies. the look is fab and the cookies takes great. bty your cookies look awesome!!! thumbs_up.gif

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 8:28pm
post #21 of 28

I really prefer fondant covered cookies to royal icing. I also flavor the fondant to match the cookies, to really punch up the overall flavor.

I tried NFSC and Pennys and didn't like either one. They didn't seem to have any flavor. I tried some recipes of Colette's cookies for white chocolate and mocha flavored, almond paste, and a cream cheese flavored cookie and they were much better. I made white chocolate fondant for the white chocolate cookies, almond fondant for the almond paste cookies, etc.

Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 11:22pm
post #22 of 28

jillk...just wondering how you added the "lines" into your soft fondant? Did you press a knife into them? Just trying to figure out what you did, so I can
copy it! icon_smile.gif Your cookies look fabulous!

JillK Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 3:19pm
post #23 of 28

Thanks again!!!

I have one of those little Wilton rolling tools (forget what it's called) and scored it to score lines in the cookies about 5 minutes after I put the fondant on them, after it had time to soften. (loriann40: I do put the fondant on the cookies right after they come out of the oven.) Give it another 10 minutes or so and it sets quite well.

I have an almost-3-year-old and a DH who works nights, so I roll and cut out the fondant shapes earlier in the evening when the little guy is playing and keep them on waxed paper under plastic wrap until I bake, after he goes to bed. icon_razz.gif

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 6:54pm
post #24 of 28

I keep wanting to try fondant, and this would be a great way. Do you think plain MMF would taste good on ginger snaps? I love ginger snaps (molasses cookies).

ckdcr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckdcr8r Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 8:45am
post #25 of 28

I just made a batch of sugar cookies with MMF to take to my mom's group meeting last Friday and they were a hit! I read on CC about puting the MMF on warm cookies and had to try it. It adhered well and I liked the taste. I am not a fan of the chewyness of any fondant, so I rolled it to 1/8 inch thick just enough to taste. Some cookies just have too much icing and are a belly ache waiting to happen. I have been decorating cakes for the last 10 years in retail and have just recently decided to stop doing them on the side since having 2 kids makes it difficult. I am getting into cookies because they are easier and less stressful. Another thing I like about the MMF is no piping involved. My cake decorating wrist has had enough and piped cookies kill my back. I like the cut-and-paste method much better!

ckdcr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckdcr8r Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 8:51am
post #26 of 28

JillK,
I just looked at your cookies. Love the fall ones! Just wanted to add one other thing I like about the MMF, it is so much cleaner looking and no chance of run off from glaze that was too thin. I love how you can just use the same cutter. EASY! icon_biggrin.gif

Roberta1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roberta1 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 11:31pm
post #27 of 28

Sorry about this question....but after my Wilton Fondant disaster, I so want a good fondant recipe. I LOVE cutting out fondant. It's really fun and I want to do something special for my husbands Christmas party.

So what is MMF???? Is it homemade fondant or what icon_smile.gif

Thanks,
Roberta

JillK Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 2:03pm
post #28 of 28

MMF stands for marshmallow fondant. Nice and cheap, and tastes much better than Wilton! (Although I do believe that's what they call damning with faint praise ... icon_rolleyes.gif )

I just use the bare bones recipe found here: http://www.cakecentral.com/article47-How-to-Make-and-Decorate-with-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html. There are other recipes you can find on this site and elsewhere, but I've had good luck with this one. I'm enjoying trying different flavorings in it.

It's completely changed my attitude toward fondant. icon_biggrin.gif From "I won't put that cr%p on my cakes" to "Hmmm .... what can I try now?"

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%