Favorite Cookie Icing

Baking By absijails Updated 9 Oct 2007 , 12:42pm by absijails

absijails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absijails Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 19

I'm baking and decorating 200 cookies for a bake sale on Friday. The royal icing recipe I've got is okay...What's everyone's favorite recipe for icing cookies? (The cookies are leaves and acorns.)

18 replies
cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 19

Antonia's is my favorite. I use almond extract as part of the water to thin for flooding.

It works like a charm for me.

I do want to try Toba's, however, I'm just a little chicken. I guess if it's not broke why fix it?

Photomommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Photomommie Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 19

I love Antonia's! I some times add lemon flavor to her icing, yummy!!!

I've used Toba's and not happy with it, I hade alot of messy, runny, things on my cookies, it will be awhile before I try Tobas again.

nikki1201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1201 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 19

all i ever used to use was Tobas, but since i tried antonias RI, i haven't used anything else since. however, i prefer the taste of tobas... mmmm.

if you enjoy working with the recipe you already have, why not try adding some different flavors to 'spruce it up' for fall. i saw some beautiful cookies in the gallery that were made with RI, but replaced some of the water in the recipe with maple syrup.... MMMM!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1101863

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 19

I'm not sure where I got my RI...

4 cups PS
3 Tbsp meringue powder
5-6 Tbsp water
1/2 Tsp vanilla
1/2 Tsp Almond

Mix all together for 10 min on lowest speed until stiff peaks form. Add water to thin, add powdered sugar to thicken. Color as needed.

But, its been my favorite recipe for some time now.

I have tried Alices cookie icing, but it "leaked' all over my cookies...thats the only way to describe it, and Toba's never gets quite hard enough.

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 2:24pm
post #6 of 19

My favorite is rolled buttercream with Antonias Royal Icing for trim work and design.

max529 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
max529 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 19

Would anyone be willing to share the recipe for Antonia's cookie icing? I can't seem to find it. Thanks.

Max529

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absijails Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 3:57pm
post #9 of 19

Thank you, Everyone!!!

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 4:12pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzycakes

My favorite is rolled buttercream with Antonias Royal Icing for trim work and design.

This is my favorite combo as well!!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 5:29pm
post #11 of 19

I only use Toba's. If it's running all over the place, you've added too much liquid! I start with 3 tsp. of milk for each cup of powdered sugar I'm using. You want to have a heavy dough consistency. Then add an equal amount of corn syrup. Mix in some brite white food color (seems to help prevent splotchy, cloudy icing when it gets cold). Good luck!

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 5:37pm
post #12 of 19

I use Toba's as well. I add a tablespoon of butter to mine. Seems to keep it a little bit shinier.

I never outline the cookie, either. Just make sure that the icing is thick enough that it doesn't flow over the sides.

cariage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cariage Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 5:38pm
post #13 of 19

what is rolled buttercream?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 5:41pm
post #14 of 19

I heard a lot of people raving about the mmf!..what do you guys think about it on cookies!

zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 5:47pm
post #15 of 19

I've been looking into trying rolled buttercream, but I'm not too sure how it would work on cookies?

Would you make it runnier to flood with? Or do you press it onto the cookie?

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

teasom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teasom Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 8:23pm
post #16 of 19

I love the recipes on karen's cookies.
http://www.karenscookies.net/shop/recipes/info_11.html
I've used the Meringue Powder Buttercream and the glaze. Both are delicious and dry hard enough so that the cookies can be packaged and stacked, but still taste good.

absijails Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 9:29pm
post #17 of 19

Thanks, Everyone!!

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 11:33pm
post #18 of 19

RI and the pourable icing (10x & corn syrup) everyone likes these. icon_smile.gif

absijails Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 12:42pm
post #19 of 19

What about freezing? Can iced cookies be frozen? I've got a big order and would like to get a head start.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%