Wedding Cakes- Cake Mix Or Scratch?

Decorating By Rexy Updated 2 Aug 2005 , 7:38pm by momoftwogirls

Rexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 7

Okay, I've followed everyones ideas on scratch vs. cake mix. So what does everyone favor for wedding cakes? I can't imagine that a cake mix cake is dense enough for supporting layers etc.?

6 replies
cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 7

All of my cakes for wedding and bridal shower cakes are most definately scratch. All my cakes for that matter are as well but for my white cakes I uses the "Brides Cake" recipe in The Cake Mix Doctor!!!!! It's a really good one and it holds up just fine if stacked!!!!

Amy

sls0812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sls0812 Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 7

When I did my sister-in-laws wedding cake I used box cake and used the cake mix extender with it and added a tsp. almond extract along with a tsp. of vanilla. It held up fine and was deliciuos! I was worried that it might taste to much like birthday cake, but it tasted just like a wedding cake. That almond extract did the trick!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 7

I do either, it just depends on what I am making. Certain things I make from scratch and others I use a modified box mix. To firm up a box mix, you can add a box of instant pudding and an extra egg and it will be firm enough for just about anything.

momoftwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momoftwogirls Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 7

oh gosh, I never thought about the cake box not being able to hold layers up.

mrsmissey
I am using a cake mix box ( alot of them since the cake pans are 14, 10, and 6. )
you suggested to add a box of instant pudding or an extra egg. do I do that to every cake mix?
I am going to add the egg.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 7

..yep, for each boxed cake mix, add 1 additional egg and a 4 serving package of instant pudding (your choice of flavor to compliment the cake) and that's it! The result is a moist , firm cake! thumbs_up.gif

momoftwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momoftwogirls Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 7

and a box of pudding!

okay, great. thanks so much.
also thanks to rexy for starting this topic. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%