Questions About Sugarveil Icing

Decorating By Danielle111 Updated 17 Sep 2013 , 7:15pm by Shasha2727

Danielle111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle111 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 2:48am
post #1 of 53

I have just recently found out about SugarVeil Icing, and am so excited at the possibilities that I practically peed my pants. icon_lol.gif
I know that a lot of you out there have used it before, and I was wondering, do you have to order the delivery system, and are there any tips from experience dealing with consistency problems, flexibility issues, melting (seemed to be a big one), etc.? Thank you guys for all of your help!

52 replies
pamsdolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamsdolls Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 2:57am
post #2 of 53

What is SugarVeil Icing?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 11:10am
post #3 of 53

I bought the whole system, and frankly am not very impressed.

Yes you can just buy the icing and use it with a piping bag. Seriously, it has the consistency of plastic, although it tastes good. I can't think it would melt. Was the melting problem because it got really hot?

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 11:26am
post #4 of 53

I have one. I have used it a couple of times (but not the icing, just the dispenser) . I made up the icing once, but I don't think I got that quite right, i need to practice some more. I used it to do some piping on the wedding cake I did. It was nice because I am a very messy person and it kept my RI from dripping everywhere. I do like it, but really i need lots more practice. I believe a member named Karensue? uses hers quite a bit. YOu might want to try and contact her about it.

Danielle111 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 11:28am
post #5 of 53

Sugarveil is a flexible, plastic-like icing which apparently holds up really well in heat (avante-garde artists used it to make a woman's wedding dress - just piped it right onto her!) From their website, they mentioned that exactly the opposite happened - it melts when it gets too cold. (?) Why were you not impressed? Is it not worth buying and playing around with? (I haven't used it yet)

Danielle111 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 11:30am
post #6 of 53

merissa - Thanks! I posted my previous response without seeing yours - thanks for the name - I'll PM her today.

Thanks guys!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 11:49am
post #7 of 53

I got this from another site quite some time ago, and just saved it....Hope it helps.....

SUGARVEIL
Someone posted recently about problems they were having with Sugarveil, I pulled out notes from a demo I attended, the directions are to add one third cup boiling water to 1 cup mix, and to mix for 30 seconds with a fork. This is different than what is listed on the package. I also had a note that it will dry quicker if you mix it one day and use it the next. I hope this info helps - for anyone else that is reading this, it's 30 seconds with a fork, then 2-4 minutes on high speed with an electric mixer to a firm consistency. sorry about that!
There was a handout that we received, I'd be happy to e-mail it to you. My notes from the demo say to mix for 30 seconds with a fork, to store it in a ziploc bag or tupperware. Another note I wrote was to use powder color and mix it with the sugarveil before you add water.
Also, it will keep 3 weeks in the fridge, but you'll have to add a few drops of water and use a hand mixer to bring it back to life. Too much water will create air bubbles.

Danielle111 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 12:28pm
post #8 of 53

GramaJ - Thank you so much! I'll go ahead and order it (just the icing at first, not the dispenser...) and play around with it. I'll post any issues/successes I have with it. Thanks again to everyone - I think I'm brave enough now to try it... icon_smile.gif

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 12:48pm
post #9 of 53

I have the SugarVeil system and love it. I use it for most of the lettering on my cakes and also for all the swiss dots, etc. The dots on the last cake in my gallery were done with the SugarVeil dispenser and icing. If you look, you'll notice that there are no points. The icing melds into itself which is really nice for a nice round dot.

You definitely have to whip it for 2 minutes after you stir it with a fork for 30 seconds. I have also decreased the recipe, so that I don't waste that much if I just need to do a "Happy Birthday" or something like that. A little goes a long ways.

I've never had any problem with deterioration of the icing. Only once, did I let some letters get too dry and had them break when I was placing them on the cake.

Would I buy it again? I would, even if I only ever use it for lettering and dots. It's been worth it to me. The pen makes it so much easier on my hands--no pressure.

Danielle111 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 1:46pm
post #10 of 53

Karensue - I was just going to PM you when I noticed that you had added to this thread - thank you! Your cakes are absolutely gorgeous, and I was wondering how you got such nice, neat, rounded dots! I'm definitely going to order it now!!! Have you ever done anything like they have on their website? (elevated, intertwined scrolls, cobwebs, etc.)?

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 2:33pm
post #11 of 53

They were demo'ing it at the ICES convention I think last year, in Dallas (maybe longer?!)... and was SO impressed! The lettering system, was great. I also liked the way you could stencil with it. Once it's dry you can move it an manipulate it. I did buy a bag, and never used it though, till last week... I tried messing with it. Did the mixing thing, and beat it for 2 minutes, and thought it was the right consistancy, but when I piped it, it was too loose, and lost it's shape. I beat it some more, and just didn't get it right... I'm thinking though my product may have been too old. I would like to check it out again though! They have some helpful info on their website!

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 2:58pm
post #12 of 53

It should definitely hold soft peaks when done mixing. You might try adding less water if it's too loose -- you can always add more. Sometimes I have to play around with it if I haven't used it for awhile and lost the feel for exactly how much water.

leah_s Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 5:09pm
post #13 of 53

I thought the system was just sort of cheap and cheesy. It looks like an aquarium pump and cobbled together parts. The syringes are straight out of a box from the drugstore. I'm not saying it doesn't work--it does. it's just for $200+ I expected something a little more professional appearing. So far it just has not been worth the effort to get it out and mix up the icing for a letter or dots.

Would I buy it again? Definitely not.

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 4:24pm
post #14 of 53

I saw the sugarveil flyer at OSSAS this weekend and thought about getting it I'm glad I found this thread. is this system anything like the photo below? I saw this a few weeks ago in the craft store and thought it might work for decorating and it seems to be what leahs is describing.
LL

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 4:57pm
post #15 of 53

cocorum...that looks interesting. I wonder if it would work! Do you know how much the caft store version costs?

cocorum21 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 5:14pm
post #16 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

cocorum...that looks interesting. I wonder if it would work! Do you know how much the caft store version costs?

$20 I 'm gonna try this first before I drop $200+ on the other....plus you can use your michael's coupons

leah_s Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 5:21pm
post #17 of 53

Yes, that looks VERY similar. In fact the Sugarveil company sells a similar product for silk fabric painting. $20????????????????!!!!!!!!! tapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.gif

MandyBs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyBs Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 5:23pm
post #18 of 53

Here is a link I just found that shows someone actually using this for icing. http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/fabricpainter Noticed at the bottom of the page, they say they replaced the cheap air pump with an aquarium pump and got quite an increase in airflow. I think Leahs may have it right - the Sugarveil icing is a bunch of readily available parts combined with a hefty price tag. I'm going to look at Michaels for this, with a coupon it couldn't be too expensive.

Cassie2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie2500 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 6:59pm
post #19 of 53

What would you use for "ink" since this is a product for fabric painting?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 7:19pm
post #20 of 53

Corcorum -

I saw that kit in a thread on a forum a few months ago (maybe this one? - I do not remember which), but could never find it at my local Michaels. I will have to check around to other locations.

Karensue -

Do you ever incur any breakage problems with SugarVeil? I bought one about 2 years ago, and never used it. The person I bought it from told me she hates it because the products she makes break all the time. I asked around to some other master decorators, and they all gave me the same opinion as the first.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cocorum21 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 9:03pm
post #21 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie2500

What would you use for "ink" since this is a product for fabric painting?

the sugarveil icing.....i was just going to use some royal icing

playingwithsugar - I found this one in the isle with the t-shirts and fabric paints, if that helps.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 4:13am
post #22 of 53

One of our CCers posted a recipe for Sugar Veil Icing in a forum some time ago. I did copy it, I have never tried it but if anyone would like a copy, please PM me with you Email address. I have it as a word doc. I wish I could remember who the poster was.

wolfley29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfley29 Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 7:47am
post #23 of 53

I was looking online trying to find the Fabric Painter, but all I found was $69.95 on one website. I am wondering what Michaels others were able to find it at.

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:50pm
post #24 of 53

I went to Michael's and purchaed the Fabric painter it was $19.99 plus I had a 50% off coupon, so it was only about $11.00.

I am going to test it out with royal icing.

To "wolfley29", I got the name, phone, and website, you can call them to find out who in your area sells this.

NSI international, Inc. 888-425-913
www.nsiinnovations.com

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 9:02pm
post #25 of 53

I bought the fabric painter 6 mo ago haven't had a chance to try it

edit: recipe is posted by Simplydelicious on July 26/06 if that helps I don't know how to link it to this thread.
under
I think I cracked the sugarveil recipe

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 12:06am
post #26 of 53

I bought the fabric painter today also. With the 50% is was $10. at Michaels.

I guess I am waiting for someone to try it so that if it doesn't work I can take it back.

Is anyone going to be brave?

If someone finds the recipe, please let me know.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 12:24pm
post #27 of 53

OMG! that fabric painter does look very familiar! If I didnt already have the sugarveil system I would definitely give it a whirl!

Alligande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alligande Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 12:54pm
post #28 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar

One of our CCers posted a recipe for Sugar Veil Icing in a forum some time ago. I did copy it, I have never tried it but if anyone would like a copy, please PM me with you Email address. I have it as a word doc. I wish I could remember who the poster was.

I tried that recipe last week and it piped really nicely, made me think it might be a royal replacement although it is more of a pain to make...but it is not flexiable when dry, it dried fast I think faster than royal and handled in a similar manner. On my experimental letters it did not have the shine of royal.
I did play with pieces at different stages of it drying and at no point did it handle like the promos I have seen about sugarviel.

I think I am going to get a michaels coupon this weekend and experiement with that fabric painter

cocorum21 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 1:14pm
post #29 of 53
Manna4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manna4 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 1:49pm
post #30 of 53

What an interesting thread you have going...Do you mind if I join in with a question? How about the "perfect placing of dragees and pearls" that the S/V system has, would you be able to do the samething with the fabric painting system?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%