Purse Cake - How Do You Do The Zipper

Decorating By moralna Updated 27 Dec 2008 , 8:47pm by skeet1zp

moralna Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 9

I am planning on doing a purse cake for my SIL's b-day and am pretty set on how to do it, except i would love some advise on how to do the zipper. I have seen so many amazing purse cakes in the gallery and I am hoping that one of you very talented folks can help me in learning how to do the zipper (teeth). Thanks so much!

8 replies
tiptop57 Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 9

The very best way is to press your fondant up against a unused zipper like a mold..........

LisaMS Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 9

I have racked my brain trying to figure out how to do a zipper. Why didn't I think of using one as a mold. Duh! THANK YOU.

JanH Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 2:46am
post #4 of 9
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 9

Has anyone used the zipper mold from Petalcrafts?

sweetcakes Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 9

i haven't used that mold, but i did make my own, using plastique. it was really easy to do and even though the mold stuff cost me $29 i have plenty left to mold other things when i get round to it!!

Beckalita Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 9

Try pressing a cake decorating comb flat into either side of a strip of fondant; this worked great for me.....

Rosie2 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 8:36pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

i haven't used that mold, but i did make my own, using plastique. it was really easy to do and even though the mold stuff cost me $29 i have plenty left to mold other things when i get round to it!!

Hi Sweetcakes, can you please tell me where you bought plastique? I looked everywhere and can't find it...so, I ended up buying something called 'amazing mold putty' which I found at Michaels. I have not use it yet, because I was still looking for plastique.
Also, how did you do the zipper mold? did you include the fabric part or just the metal?
Ok, thank you!

skeet1zp Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 8:47pm
post #9 of 9

You can also use a pizza cutter, or the cutter/embosser that Wilton sells. It has three detachable attachments. I use either of those when I make my zippers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%