Autumn Fondant Leaves - How Do I Get The Color?

Decorating By djjarrett88 Updated 4 Oct 2007 , 5:53pm by Teekakes

djjarrett88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djjarrett88 Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 19

Hi All,
I am searching for ideas on how to color fondant leaves to get the multi-colored fall look. I have an airbrush, if that is the answer. Thanks for the help.
Steve

18 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 19

Well you can marble a dark yellow/green and orange and then go over it with a gel color that has been overly diluted with alcohol, which will just give you a wash of sorts over the leaves so they aren't as bright and look natural icon_biggrin.gif

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 19

Thanks to the OP, I also want to know... does anybody have a tutorial or can share how to make them?? I want to make them out of gumpaste, also I'm interested in knowing how to paint them with luster dusts?? Anybody? TIA

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 19

I use chalk pastels - I start with a yellow or a marbled yellow and light green leaf and then just randomly apply fall color dusts.

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 1:22am
post #5 of 19

Hi!
I asked this question just last week and recieved the best ideas I have to share what I was told... thanks everyone that helped.. I think they turned out great!
First color the fondant ( I just used mm fondant colored some yellow, brown, and red... kind of mixed small batches togeather and rolled out with my pasta machine to #4 setting.. a rolling pin works fine to.. I think the thinner the better... I used wilton fall leaf set got it at Walmart $4.95
and used maple and oak leaves all sizes this is the great part... after thinning the edges of the leaves and veining the leaves I used an Ivy leaf veiner I had.(you dont even have to do that part) also used a ball tool to smooth out the edges... glue a marble on a dowel works great! oh back to the great part.... sorry... lay the leaves on crumpled foil to dry! When dry brush with luster dust mixed with lemon extract.. and highlight with gold and yellow petal dusts or chalks (non toxic) how about that! they take 1-2 days to dry..

nefgaby Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 1:44am
post #6 of 19

Thanks bcake for all that great info... would you happen to have pics?? Thanks again!

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 3:29am
post #7 of 19

Yes nafgaby, in my photos.. I tried to attach a file but I cant figure out how to get them to show when I post a message.. sorry.. it took so long to answer.. went out to dinner.... icon_smile.gif

nefgaby Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 3:37am
post #8 of 19

Thanks!!!!! They are beautiful, Thanks for sharing!

wgoat5 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 7:16am
post #9 of 19

I even have some cheapy cookie cutters that have the veining in them icon_biggrin.gif, makes it easy to cut them out AND give them a realistic looks (they are plastic)

nefgaby Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 8:56pm
post #10 of 19

Wgoat5, where did you get those?? Sound cool!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 9:23pm
post #11 of 19

BCake1960, thanks for the info on how you made yours! WGoat.......thanks for the great idea on using the cutters with veins....I have some of those and have wanted to learn how to make fondant leaves for the fall cakes I am working on.

I wanted soooo badly to attend Nicholas Lodge's class he held here in the Houston area last weekend but I was not able to make it. It was on making Fall flowers and leaves. icon_cry.gif

wgoat5 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 10:10pm
post #12 of 19

Gabby remember those plastic cookie cutters you could get in bulk...the ones where the back is enclosed and they made it hard to get cookies out of? Well that's the kind lol. Finally found a use for mine icon_smile.gif....just look at Wal-Mart...right about now I would guess. I got mine a few years ago and never could use them..Now I can icon_smile.gif

And you are welcome Lea icon_biggrin.gif

nefgaby Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 10:31pm
post #13 of 19

Thanks!!! Will go to Walmart tomorrow!!! icon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 10:42pm
post #14 of 19

You are welcome Gaby icon_smile.gif

amodeoandrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amodeoandrea Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 10:59pm
post #15 of 19

I just made some for cup cakes. I used 1/2 fondant 1/2 gumpaste. Tinted it tan, used the wilton cutters. I dried them on paper towel rolls that were cut in half. I airbrushed red yellow and green randomly on the leaves, let them dry and then did the other side. Next time I will do the veining. Check out my pictures. They were a big hit.

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 12:21am
post #16 of 19

Another way to color them is to color the fondant one color and then brush on petal dust in the same or a different color. I particularly liked the way maple leaves came out when I used yellow fondant and red or flame colored dust.
Here's how they came out:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=982073

If I were doing them again, I'd probably try also brushing on green in places.

-Magda-

Teekakes Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 2:26am
post #17 of 19

Magda, your leaves are gorgeous! I will try your method tomorrow as I am working on three Fall cakes all due on friday. I am so glad this thread came along when it did! Perfect timing for me!! icon_biggrin.gif

singsing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
singsing Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 4:26pm
post #18 of 19

Mine may not be the best, but I just painted them with a brush and water-thinned paste/gel food coloring. (mine are marzipan) over lapping colors etc. sorry I don't have a close picture.

Teekakes Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 5:53pm
post #19 of 19

Singsing, your leaves are very nice too and the colors you did them in are pretty!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%