Red Velvet Cake

Baking By Crakerz01 Updated 11 Dec 2006 , 7:10pm by newlywedws

Crakerz01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crakerz01 Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 6

I have never had a red velvet cake before so I was wondering if you could help me... what would be a good filling for the cake? I want to use cream cheese icing but I was wondering if a chocolate ganache would be good as a filling. Your experience with this and ideas are appreciated!

5 replies
jacqrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jacqrose Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 6

for red velvet i have always used a cream cheese or buttercream filling.

SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 6

I use either a cream cheese or cream frosting...
for the cream you take 2T cornstarch and 1 cup of milk and heat stirring constantly until thick. Let cook completely. Cream 2 sticks butter with 1 cup of sugar and 1tsp vanilla, add cooled mixture and beat until light and fluffy. This is the icing my grandmother always used!

Titansgold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Titansgold Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 6

You really just cant go wrong with all cream cheese frosting on a red velvet cake.

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 6

I agree with the cream cheese filling and frosting, that's what RV cake is all about.

P.S. I have also heard that you need to make sure that your RV recipe has vinager in it. That really makes a difference.

http://food.southernliving.com/southern/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=521678

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 6

I have a scrumptious red velvet cake that I posted on the recipe area (Sarah's red velvet cake) ironically it uses no vinegar, and you can't tell a difference. I have never used cream cheese frosting on my RVC though, G-g-g Grandma would roll over in her grave!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%