How To Make Flowers Dvd

Decorating By OhMyGoodies Updated 2 Dec 2013 , 8:34pm by Roseyrod

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 9

I don't know where to put this thread so it's going in general. icon_redface.gif I just purchased the Wilton DVD on how to make flowers... I bought it from here, and am wondering has anyone else used this DVD and if so is it good? Am I going to be able to learn how to make roses? and other flowers? I've tried many times at making roses even bought the ready to use tubs that says perfect for making flowers right out of the jar written right on them and still can't get my roses right. I tried my hand at making drop flowers the other night with left over RI and it didn't work either. So I'm trying to find an easy way to learn how to do this so I don't go into the Wilton courses blindly not knowing how to do anything. I have the tips needed, I have the practice board set and I basically have everything else needed I just need to learn how to do them...

So I guess my questions are....

With this DVD will I:

Learn to make roses?
Drop flowers?
other flowers?
Is it easy to follow?
Is it easy to do????????

Thanks in advance everyone! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
sandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandie Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 9

I have order the dvd. If there is not any answers from any of the cc members, I will let you know when I get it.

tracy702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracy702 Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 9

I haven't seen the DVD yet, but I do know you learn all of that in Wilton course 1. Which is what I think the DVD is based off. The key to Wilton Roses is stiff icing. The Wilton Can Frosting is not stiff enough.

Good Luck

Divyne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Divyne Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 9

I have thought about purchasing this DVD myself as a refresher after taking the course. In the course I didn't quite get it mastered and wanted to practice at home. So please let me know what you think of the DVD.
Also I took all three of the Wilton Courses and you are not expected to come in there prepared. I didn't know how to do anything. I had just always had an interest.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 9

When my husband makes the BC icing (it's his job as co-owner of the business lmao he wanted his part in the company and to help at the same time gave him that job icon_wink.gif) it's pretty stiff, sometimes so stiff I can't pipe it without getting a cramp in my hand. He makes the 1/2 butter 1/2 crisco recipe and follows it to a T adding just what is called for no more no less and it's pretty stiff sometimes too stiff to spread, but I let it sit for a bit and it gets easier to spread. I think that's the whole probably though is my hands are hot lol. The very first rose I made with that Wilton canned icing came out GREAT!!!!! was small but great! didn't fall into itself or anything stayed perfect but by the time I got the second one done the icing was a different consistency icon_sad.gif Someone did tell me the trick they use is bowls of ice so I'll try that next time.

I plan on taking all of the Wilton Courses after the 1st of the year but just wanted to get that down incase I can't take them for some reason (health, money, etc anything lol)

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 9

I took course 1 and 2 and have the wilton "how to make flowers" and the "how to do wedding cakes" and I really found them helpful. I learned more about the rose in class and just practising though. It's easier when you can see someone actually doing it. It helps to demonstrate proper bag positioning and icing pressure control. I deff think stiff icing is the key, though I haven't bought the wilton ready to use stuff before. I thought making my own and learning to make the different consistancies myself would be more helpful later on when I am on my own and can't ask my instructor"is this right?" icon_wink.gif

Erinlorna2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erinlorna2 Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 11:10pm
post #7 of 9

AHi, I am trying to buy this Dvd. Wiltons how to make flowers,but Wilton say it isn't available anymore . I tried Amazon but its only available in Canada and they won't ship to the UK...can anyone help????? Andrea

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 8:04pm
post #8 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erinlorna2 

Hi, I am trying to buy this Dvd. Wiltons how to make flowers,but Wilton say it isn't available anymore . I tried Amazon but its only available in Canada and they won't ship to the UK...can anyone help?????
Andrea

This might help you http://www.craftsy.com/class/the-wilton-method-piped-flowers/422?_ct=sbqii-sqjuweho-qbb&_ctp=422,9 all the Craftsy classes are on sale today.

Roseyrod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roseyrod Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 9

Why don't you try to learn how to make gumpaste roses.  Edna DeLaCruz from Designmeacake.com has excellent DVD's on all sorts of Flowers including the roses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%