Older Pillars, Wedding Fountains,plates Etc.

Decorating By cjd Updated 2 Oct 2007 , 6:19am by BCJean

cjd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjd Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 1:00am
post #1 of 7

Hello,

I ran into a 70 year old lady that is moving out of the area. She is selling a boat load of cake decorating stuff. Much from over 15 years old.

My first question is: are people still requesting the plastic Angels, plastic lace pieces, plastic stairs and water fountains for their weddings? I do not have these things because it is not my thing and a frankly do not get any requests for them.

Second question is does any one know how to make the plastic stuff, plates and pillars etc white again. Much of her things have turned yellow. Has any one tired bleaching, or have used the new paints that are for plastics or any other method?

She is asking top dollar for these things and I wanted to help her out. I don't think they are worth much and if I could give her a more realistic view it might help her out. So I am asking for your thoughts. Thanks ahead of time.

6 replies
Baileygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baileygirl Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 1:11am
post #2 of 7

I work in a store that sells wedding cake supplies and most of these items are never requested. We occasionally get an older decorator who is looking for some of this stuff but they usually are only making one cake for a family member and don't do cakes on a regular basis. As for the stuff that has turned yellow, I would stay away from it. I've tried bleach, dishwasher detergent and everything I've ever heard of that would clean them and so far I haven't found anything that really works. I haven't tried painting them.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 2:31am
post #3 of 7

I use the fountains once in awhile but anything that is yellowed isnt' worth "top dollar" .... garage sale value MAYBE.

I cleaned out a lot of my old stuff a couple of years ago, and sold a big box load of stuff for only $10 to a little girl (12 years old) who was getting into cake decorating for 4-H. It was worth absolutely NOTHING to anyone who did cakes for a business. I even told her mom that these were only good for her to practice on .... if she was going to do a cake for a family event, she would want to buy new ones that looked nice.

mccorda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccorda Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 2:54am
post #4 of 7

I think some of the yellowed items, pillers and plates, could be painted with the Krylon for plastic. Not a lot of call for angels and lace pieces.
I'd get the fountain if it is priced right. I've used mine twice in the last year and a half.

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 3:36am
post #5 of 7

As far as the yellowed stuff goes, the plastic yellows from the inside, if you cut it open, the middle would be yellowed too. You could paint the pillars, but only if they will not touch food and then your whites will never match. (Can you tell I've tried!?) They are worth very little if anything. If the fountain works, go for it, I have several and use them a lot. The older ones were actually made better than the new ones are! I have one I call "Old Reliable" that is at least 25 years old that has never failed. I have a couple of brand new ones that are iffy! Be nice, explain to her that the stuff can't be cleaned and if she still wants top dollar for it, let her try to peddle it to someone else! Good luck -Lori

cjd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjd Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 5:42am
post #6 of 7

Thank you all for some great information.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 6:19am
post #7 of 7

I am old, and I like the old style of decorating. I would not buy the items you are describing. I thought it looked tacky in its hey day...now, sure hasn't gotten better. The yellow is there to stay. The pillars, you could cover with something...rhinestones, pebbles, fondant. If the price was right it might be fun to get to experiment with different coverings. I have one of the fountains but never use it. I wouldn't pay top dollar for any of it though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%