Cake Sticks To Cooling Rack

Decorating By 2muchsugar Updated 3 Oct 2007 , 11:35pm by ValMommytoDanny

2muchsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2muchsugar Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 12:36am
post #1 of 13

Can someone give this newbie some advice? My cakes are turning out great until I go to take them off of the cooling rack and half of the top sticks to my cooling rack. It just happens once in awhile, but I can't figure it out. What am I doing wrong? So frustrating...

12 replies
Baileygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baileygirl Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 1:03am
post #2 of 13

Place a paper towel between your cake and cooling rack. The paper towel will absorb the moisture from the cooling cake and help keep it moist and will keep the cake from sticking to the rack. I let my cakes rest on the cooling rack for at least 12 hours before icing. I work with box cakes so this might not work with scratch cakes since they tend to dry out rather quickly.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 1:38am
post #3 of 13

I just use parchment.

2muchsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2muchsugar Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 2:04am
post #4 of 13

Thanks so much. Common Sense! I'll try your suggestions.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 2:14am
post #5 of 13

what kind of cooling racks do you have? Are they structured with the wiring creating those 1/4" squares or are they structured so they are just wired running one direction, with one crosswire holding them in place?

I find I had a bigger problem with the one-way wiring racks because the cake would slightly 'fall thru' the gaps in the wires, causing some cracking, breakage, and the cake sticking to the racks.

Also how far above the counter are your racks? I have the Pampered Chef stackable cooling racks. I use these, and for my larger cakes, I set the large cooling racks on top of the Pampered Chef racks.

Having the racks at least 4" off of the counter gives the steam a place to escape. If you just place the cooling rack on the counter, with only about 1/4" space between the cake and the counter, then the steam from the warm cake has no place to go but up into the cake, making it too moist and causing it to stick to the rack.

If you dont' have the pampered chef stackables, then place a small glass or coffee cup upside down under each corner of the cooling rack to elevate it.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 2:18am
post #6 of 13

Thanks for this post...I have had the same problem too.

Baileygirl, jmt1714, indydeb..great suggestions. Thanks!

rhesp1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhesp1212 Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 2:25am
post #7 of 13

It also helps to make sure that the bottom of your cake is on the cooling rack instead of the top. Meaning, flip your cake onto a cooling rack as usual, then place another cooling rack on top and flip again. You know how sometimes the tops of cakes get sort of sticky to begin with. If you're putting the top part down onto the rack it will almost always stick!! icon_sad.gif Big bummer! i haven't had any problem doing it this way (I also use the ones with the 1/4" grid on them)

Valerie

MAGGISMITH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAGGISMITH Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 2:30am
post #8 of 13

Try spraying your cooling rack with non-stick cooking spray. Works like a charm.
Maggi

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 11:00am
post #9 of 13

I also spray Pam or non-stick spray as well.

boyoboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boyoboy Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 12:52pm
post #10 of 13

I place plastic wrap on my cooling rack then turn the cake onto it. then when the cake has cooled i just wrap it up .

pastrygirl33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirl33 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 3:49am
post #11 of 13

I always cut the tops off anyways, so you always have a straight level cake.

Rooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rooh Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 9:06pm
post #12 of 13

I spray mine with Pam. Never had a problem since using that method either.

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 11:35pm
post #13 of 13

I use those pre-cut deli wrap papers (waxed a little) before I flip them I put one of these on there and weigh it down - then give it a flip and it doesn't stick - I also use this stuff when stacking them in the fridge. works great and I love that you just pull them out. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%