Taste Of Home Baking Cookbook..anyone Have It?

Decorating By baker4life Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 2:13am by baker4life

baker4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker4life Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 27

I just saw Taste of Home came out with a baking cookbook. I also have a 25% of coupon from Borders I can use.
Does anyone have it and would it be worth to get?
I do love all their magazines and they've got great recipes!

26 replies
kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 27

i have been seeing the book a lot more too...i was wondering if it was good too...if you buy it tell us...i hope you can get an answer though.

baker4life Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 1:06am
post #3 of 27

I want to get it, but I don't want to waste the money if all the recipes they've already published in their magazine will also be in there.
If I do get it, I'll let you know! I know the coupon makes it a little more appealing! icon_biggrin.gif

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 3:40am
post #4 of 27

I to have been wondering how it is. I ran out and purchased the other hardback book, and now it's available with a bonus cd with extra recipes! I think that stinks!!
I am thinking of waiting to see what kinds of things they include with this one later one! icon_redface.gif

kay52178 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kay52178 Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 12:28pm
post #5 of 27

I also subscribe to Quick Cooking and the Taste of Home magazine. Yesterday, I got a thing in the mail to buy the new cookbook. So, there was this advertisement in there for mocha pie. I went online and did a search for it and found the exact recipe. So, I'm thinking, the recipes are the same and are on the website, therefore why bother w/ the cookbook?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 12:45pm
post #6 of 27

All of the Taste of Home cookbooks are compilations of stuff that has been in their magazines at some point or other. It's good if you don't want to store all those magazines I guess. icon_rolleyes.gificon_smile.gif

baker4life Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 27

I think I may get it, as long as I have a coupon.
Anyone else have it? THink it was worth the money?

adawndria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adawndria Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 2:58am
post #8 of 27

I don't subscribe to the magazine, yet, but I did ask for both books for birthday/Christmas gifts. Since I don't have the magazines, these should be all new recipes to me!

bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 2:33pm
post #9 of 27

I was in a Barnes and Noble not long ago and the other cookbook they have out (the one in the brown binder) was already opened so I thumbed through it and it looked like pages from their magazine. I'm assuming the baking cookbook is the same. If you happen to find one already opened, you might want to take a look. But the new baking cookbook is shrinkwrapped (probably because it's in a binder format) so I don't recommend opening it yourself. icon_rolleyes.gif

baker4life Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 9:37pm
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I was in a Barnes and Noble not long ago and the other cookbook they have out (the one in the brown binder) was already opened so I thumbed through it and it looked like pages from their magazine. I'm assuming the baking cookbook is the same. If you happen to find one already opened, you might want to take a look. But the new baking cookbook is shrinkwrapped (probably because it's in a binder format) so I don't recommend opening it yourself. icon_rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I hate the books that are wrapped, you can't look at them!
Well, you guys talked me into not getting it. I probably can find all the recipes online and not have to waste the money! More money set aside for something better!! icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 9:39pm
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamrks

More money set aside for something better!! icon_lol.gif

Like cake toys!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

baker4life Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 9:42pm
post #12 of 27
Quote:

Just don't tell my hubby!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 9:45pm
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamrks

Quote:

Just don't tell my hubby!!

Mums the word... icon_wink.gif

nrctermite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrctermite Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 10:15pm
post #14 of 27

It is probably all of the same recipes that are published in their magazines. I have all of their cookbooks they put out for each year, which is a compilation of the recipes published in the magazine. I love Taste of Home though.

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 1:17am
post #15 of 27

I have the book. I haven't made anything from it yet but it does look good. I have bookmarked a bunch of recipes to make at some point.

I have the one without the CD (i just bought it two weeks ago) so I feel ripped off!

JUne

laureli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laureli Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 5:58am
post #16 of 27

They have this cookbook at ltdcommodities.com, if you want to price compare.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 3:53am
post #17 of 27

just when i think i am not going to buy one more book.....another pops up...i will look at the website and then decide...i have way too many...maybe i should just STOP the addiction. icon_smile.gif

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 12:03am
post #18 of 27

I have the big one and you should really try the cherry white chocolate scones AND the potatoe skins!!! thumbs_up.gif They are to die for! I believe It has more than what has been published in the magazines so far. Have you been to a Taste of Home Entertaining party yet? If you purchase the cookbook at one of them, you get a free subscription to either Racheal Ray Everyday or Taste of Home Magazine. Their products are great!

baker4life Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 1:36am
post #19 of 27

Oohh, I've never heard of the parties!
Do they have products to sell or just test out their recipes??
I would like to go to one of those!

baker4life Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:56am
post #20 of 27

If anyone is interested, I went to the library and had the book transferred to me.

I had some extra time this weekend and went through each recipe. I would say about a dozen of them were not on the website, the rest of them were.

I'm glad I didn't spend the money on the book or I would've been really dissapointed.

sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 1:16am
post #21 of 27

My boyfriend gave me the book just yesterday .. I love it. It has so many good recipes I would like to try. It also has a free subscription to taste of home magazine for a year. It was a GREAT gift. On almost every page it has baking tips .. most are for beginners, like how to grease a pan, etc. but I found a lot of them very helpful. I haven't read through the whole thing, but I hope to soon.

floophs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floophs Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 1:34am
post #22 of 27

Mine is on order and I'm excited to get it. I never subscribe to the magazines because I think it's a pain to remember which recipe came from what month magazine...so I always order the hard cover at the end of the year.

I sometimes hesitate to order these hard cover books because heaven knows I don't "need" anymore! But the beauty is that if you don't like it you can ship it back for free. I just got another book in the mail that I'm not real fond of so back it goes...no money out of my pocket. thumbs_up.gif

baker4life Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 1:56am
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by floophs

I never subscribe to the magazines because I think it's a pain to remember which recipe came from what month magazine...so I always order the hard cover at the end of the year.

Good idea, and every single recipe is in one place, instead of storing magazines.

I subscribe to taste of home, simple and delicious, and light and tasty. I was hooked instantly! They have very good down home recipes, not those fancy schmancy recipes that I have to go to specialty stores to get ingredients!
Enjoy your book!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

MimiFord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFord Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:57pm
post #24 of 27

I have one - not the binder one though, or the one with the CD - just my luck. Actually, it was sent to me by mistake from an eBay seller, along with some other books I ordered. I like it - so I bought it from her, rather than send it back, since no one else had bought it yet. But, I collect cake decorating and cookbooks/baking books in general - I should open my own library icon_wink.gif

baker4life Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 10:46pm
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFord

But, I collect cake decorating and cookbooks/baking books in general - I should open my own library icon_wink.gif

You and me both!!!! I feel so guilty when I buy another one!

lvablkmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvablkmn Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 12:55am
post #26 of 27

If you don't want to spend more $ or you just don't have enough space...do what I do. I borrow the book from the library & then copy the recipes that I do like. Then I print them out & out them in a binder. Or if you get a book & they have a website (Southern Living) - I go through the book,find the ines I liike, look them up in the website & then copy & paste(to save me the typing time). Then I won't have books that are full of recipes that I might not like. I only have the ones that I do like! icon_smile.gif

baker4life Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:13am
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvablkmn

If you don't want to spend more $ or you just don't have enough space...do what I do. I borrow the book from the library & then copy the recipes that I do like.

Great minds think alike! I was grateful that a friend of ours gave us a printer/scanner, so now I take out all kinds of cookbooks from the library and just scan the pages! I then store the "books" on my computer..It's time consuming, but I save a ton of $$$$!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%