Another Whimsical Cake...

Decorating By adven68 Updated 7 Dec 2006 , 5:27pm by ladyvader01

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 4:13am
post #1 of 37

this is the 3rd or 4th cake of this style that I have had in recent orders. It is extremely popular.....

thanks for looking!!!
LL

36 replies
Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 4:19am
post #2 of 37

Wow, amazing, as usual, Adven68!!!! What occasions are people ordering these for??

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 4:22am
post #3 of 37

You probably won't check the other post, but is it hard to do? (The making of whimsical cakes).

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 4:24am
post #4 of 37

amazing work once again! It's beautiful!

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 4:25am
post #5 of 37

Its beautiful I love it icon_smile.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 4:31am
post #6 of 37

You never cease to amaze, my dear... endless miracles come from your fingertips! icon_wink.gif

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 4:41am
post #7 of 37

what a fabulous cake!!! You are a super talent here on CC!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 4:42am
post #8 of 37

So this is done with flat cakes and styrofoam wedges between the tiers? I haven't tried that but it sounds much easier than all the carving and crumbs in nested whimsy cakes. Very soft and pretty colors.

debdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debdiva Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 4:53am
post #9 of 37

I am new to this site, and WOW, I feel fortunate to have stumbled onto CakeCentral.
That cake is absolutely amazing! I have two questions; how many people would have feed, how the heck do you cut a cake like that, and how much does one charge for such a beautiful eatable art piece? Opps, guess that's three questions.

Debbie

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 5:18am
post #10 of 37

Amazing!!!!!! Can I possibly get instructions on how to construct one of these? Thanks!

adven68 Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 1:33pm
post #11 of 37

Wow...thanks for your comments, guys! Let me see if I can answer your questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nglez09

You probably won't check the other post, but is it hard to do? (The making of whimsical cakes).

It's not "hard" to do...but there are some steps involved. Getting the styrofoam into the right shape was the trick for me. I took a cake dummy and basically cut it in half on an angle. That left me with 2 wedges. Then, after the cake is assembled, you must drive a couple of dowels through the entire cake to keep it from sliding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debdiva

how many people would have feed, how the heck do you cut a cake like that, and how much does one charge for such a beautiful eatable art piece?

This one was for 100 people. Going by "Earlene's" cake chart it actually fed 99. Cutting is very easy. They are regular cakes on a slant. After making a few cakes, I have learned to charge for everything separately. I charge a basic per-serving price, then I charge for the sugar work, then I add on a per-slanted-tier price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

So this is done with flat cakes and styrofoam wedges between the tiers? I haven't tried that but it sounds much easier than all the carving and crumbs in nested whimsy cakes.

I prefer this method becasue the servings are equal. The true whimsical cakes that are taller on one side are very awkward to cut and serve, I would imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate714

What occasions are people ordering these for?? .

I have made these for Communions and Christenings. I also made a mini-version, changed the colors to cream and white and entered it as a wedding cake in a competition.

Thanks everyone...I hope I got it all....

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 2:06pm
post #12 of 37

It's gorgeous!!! I love your whimsical cakes! How did you do the writing on the banner so perfectly? Also, how did you mix the cream color? It's a really pretty color!

Quote:
Quote:

So this is done with flat cakes and styrofoam wedges between the tiers? I haven't tried that but it sounds much easier than all the carving and crumbs in nested whimsy cakes. Very soft and pretty colors.

I agree! Carving a "regular" whimsy cake is a pain and hard to cover with fondant. I think I'm going to try this method next time.

Courtney

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 2:11pm
post #13 of 37

For the "carving challenged" like myself this is THE ANSWER! GORGEOUS CAKE!!! When I come off my self imposed "sweet sabbatical" I'm going to make one!!

Okay.....I'm not even supposed to be LOOKING at cakes for ONE WHOLE MONTH!! What is up with that? LOL

Beth in KY

misterc Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 2:52pm
post #14 of 37

Could you possibly tell me what sizes your cakes and dummies are on this cake? Thanks! It is beautiful!!!!!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 2:57pm
post #15 of 37

That is a such a fun looking cake! I agree, I get at least one whimsical cake order a week. they are very popular!

can I ask where you got your wire for the cake topper? I am having a terrible time finding wire that is stiff enough. i have tried all the craft stores and even the hardware store (their wire is too ugly looking)

adven68 Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 2:59pm
post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterc

Could you possibly tell me what sizes your cakes and dummies are on this cake? Thanks! It is beautiful!!!!!

Thank you.
Hi there...(my nickname for my son is Mr. C)

The cakes from bottom up are 12", 10", 8", 6"

The dummies I used for the wedges were 8" and 6".

Then, for the smallest wedges, I had to trim the 6" to about a 4".

To answer mamacc...

I use edible images to make the banners....and I used a gel food color to mix the cream color.

misterc Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 3:16pm
post #17 of 37

My nickname for my son is Mr. C. I don't know why I always use his nickname for screen names but I do.

Anyway,I want to attempt a cake like yours. It won't look near as nice but you have to start some where, right. When you construct the cake I am assuming you use cardboard rounds under each cake. Do the cakes try to move before you dowel the whole thing, how many long dowels do you use? One more question, do you dowel each cake as you normally would with stacked construction?

I hope you don't mind all these questions!!!!! But thankyou so much for your help! I am really excited to try this, I wasn't too sure about the carving method so I am really excited about this. Thanks again!!!!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 5:10pm
post #18 of 37

as usual your cakes are amazing!

adven68 Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 9:06pm
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterc

When you construct the cake I am assuming you use cardboard rounds under each cake. Do the cakes try to move before you dowel the whole thing, how many long dowels do you use? One more question, do you dowel each cake as you normally would with stacked construction?

the cakes are constructed normally...cake circles underneath and dowels in them to hold up the tier above. The cakes never even budge, for some reason....I make sure not to slant them too much....I would say the wedges are 2" high at the highest point and they go down to 1" on the lowest point. I use 2 sharpened dowels through the entire cake to hold it in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

can I ask where you got your wire for the cake topper? I am having a terrible time finding wire that is stiff enough

I got it from a cake supply place...I believe it's 20 gauge white floral wire.

hope this helped!

Titansgold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Titansgold Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 9:10pm
post #20 of 37

Gorgeous cake! I love all of the colors you used, they all meld together so nicely!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 9:15pm
post #21 of 37

Fabulous, Fabulous, Fabulous, once again! Such beautiful work.

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 9:18pm
post #22 of 37

Irene, Your work is SOooooo beautiful.

Look out Collette Peters Here comes Irene icon_lol.gif

Congrats on a job perfectly done thumbs_up.gificon_wink.gif

heather2780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather2780 Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 10:11pm
post #23 of 37

wow no wonder its popular look at that cake its stunning good job it must have taken you forever to do all the detail work nothing is out of place i hope you charge what this is worth. thumbs_up.gif

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 1:46am
post #24 of 37

Outstanding cake! I have a question?

Do you cover the wire with anything to keep it from touching the cake?

adven68 Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 2:39pm
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbaker

Outstanding cake! I have a question?

Do you cover the wire with anything to keep it from touching the cake?

It's not actually bare wire, it's covered with some kind of fabric. I've heard of people sticking cocktail straws in the cake and then inserting the wire, but no, I don't. The top of this cake had a mound of fondant on top that I placed the flowers on and I stuck the wires in that. In the other parts of the cake, I just stuck them into the cake. I just took a look at Colettes Birthday Cakes book. She uses the same type of wire and she says to just stick them in....so I guess it's ok icon_biggrin.gif .

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 2:46pm
post #26 of 37

Beautiful work as always! I bow to you!!! I hope to try something like this soon properly done. I have tried the techinique on a dummy with not much luck. Stayed long enough for the pic. LOL

mysonshines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysonshines Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 4:23pm
post #27 of 37

It's absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 4:41pm
post #28 of 37

Could you post this picture to the galleries? I really want to save it in my favorites. It is so pretty.

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 1:28pm
post #29 of 37

Thanks for info about the wire insertion.

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 4:56pm
post #30 of 37

Your cake is beautiful! I can't wait to try a whimsical cake!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%