Christmas Yule Log Cake

Baking By dawnrunner Updated 11 Dec 2006 , 6:44pm by dawnrunner

dawnrunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnrunner Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 3:40am
post #1 of 10

Does anyone know of an easy, great tasting recipe for a Christmas Yule Log Cake? My family has been begging me to make one for our Christmas dinner.

9 replies
MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 3:43am
post #2 of 10

I am doing them for the first time this year and plan on doing just a chocolate sponge cake, with whipped ganache filling and ganache icing. Also plan on decorating with a few royal pointsettia flowers.

dawnrunner Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 4:29am
post #3 of 10

What are these cakes generally made out of and what do they look like?

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 8:51am
post #4 of 10

I usually get the kids to do these. They us a bought Cocolate swiss roll as a base. I mix them a batch of chocolate buttercream. they cover the roll in the cream, use a fork to mark the bark then dust with icing sugar or drizzle a little royal over the top to resemble snow and they normally add a plastic robin or a little holly

MomLittr Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 11:37am
post #5 of 10

Dawnrunner, so far the best chocolate sponge for cake roll I have found was on recipezaar: http://recipezaar.com/188494, called Kk's chocolate roll. However, I was in a rush and cheated, did not separate the eggs and beat the whites separately. Just whipped the whole eggs a while until very fluffy. Still came out ok. You might like this recipe.

dawnrunner Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 10

Miss B. Thank you for your suggestion, I think I will use it with our grandkids. They like to help make the deserts and your method will be a lot easier for them.
Miss L. The recipe you suggested is so much easier than the one my daughter sent me, so I will be trying that one for sure.
Thank you thumbs_up.gif

MomLittr Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 11:41am
post #7 of 10

Ok, thought I liked this chcolate sponge roll and the second time I made it, was cracking and dry again. I was wrong - it tastes good but does not perform well. So does anyone have a real good chocolate cake roll recipe for yule logs?

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 11:48am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnrunner

What are these cakes generally made out of and what do they look like?

They are sponge cakes. I will find the recipe I used. I was easy and good!!!

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 11:58am
post #9 of 10

They are sponges...if I can't fill it right away I take a clean kitchen towel and dust it liberally with conf sugar.

Place your sponge on it and roll it up...the sponge "remembers" that shape and will roll up easier without so many cracks. The towel keeps the cake from sticking to itself.

When you have your filling done, unroll,remove from the towel,fill and place on your serving platter.

Make meringue mushrooms for a garnish....pipe meringue onto a parchment covered pan, into a dome shape. Pipe an equal number of stems..pull your piping tip upwards to create a "point".

Place in the oven and let dry. I'm not sure of the temp..I think something like 250...just watch them so they don't brown too much. I like a bit of brown, makes them look like real mushrooms...

Take a knife and gently make a hole in the bottom of the dome,dip the stem in some RI and insert into the hole. Let the mushrooms dry.

Dust lightly with some cocoa powder, if desired.

dawnrunner Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 6:44pm
post #10 of 10

IHateF: Thanks for the instructions for making the meringue mushrooms, I was wondering how they were made. Sounds easy enough icon_lol.gif
Cams

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%