Donation Cake

Decorating By impressivecontr Updated 6 Aug 2005 , 6:01am by zehii

impressivecontr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
impressivecontr Posted 7 Feb 2005 , 3:44am
post #1 of 21

i've been asked to make a cake as a donation for a bull and oyster roast that is being held as a fund raiser for a local elementary school. there is not theme for the bull and oyster roast and the money isn't going to a particular fund at the school. any suggestions on a good cake? i'm going to check and see what their mascott is but other wise maybe a food item or something school related? i have two weeks so i should be able to come up with something by then ~ with a little help! icon_wink.gif

thanx
Debbie

20 replies
GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 7 Feb 2005 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 21

Do the mascot. How big is this cake supposed to be? Have you decided which decorating technique you want to use?

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 7 Feb 2005 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 21

It might be fun to do a huge cupcake cake, with a buttercream transfer of the mascott or their logo! Just a thought! Missey

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 7 Feb 2005 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 21

The mascot is a falcon. The cake can be any size or shape (falcon maybe?) I hadn't thought about what technique to use because I wasn't sure what I wanted to make yet. Has anyone seen a 3-D bird shaped cake? (i saw the buzzard on this site - looks complicated unless someone has directions that i can modify to make a falcon). I can do their mascot/logo with a buttercream transfer or run-sugar if I can't come up with something more creative before then. I have a problem with making things harder than they have to be...

Thanks for your suggestions!
Debbie

MrsMissey Posted 7 Feb 2005 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 21

...can you get their mascot in printed form? If so, you could have an edible image done..(my personal favorite) icon_rolleyes.gif Missey

thecakemaker Posted 7 Feb 2005 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 21

i can probably download it from their website. if not ~ my cousin works with the PTA and prompted the request for the cake ~ i'm sure i can get it from her.

Thanx!

Just curious about the edible images - do you have a printer or do you have them printed elsewhere?

MrsMissey Posted 7 Feb 2005 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 21

Hi Debbie....I have a dedicated printer that uses the FDA edible inks. I usually scan a picture or something I found on the internet, or received by e-mail and then edit the picture to my liking, add words or additional graphics and print in out on the edible paper! That may be more info then you were looking for but I just get the biggest kick out of edible imaging! thumbs_up.gif Missey

thecakemaker Posted 7 Feb 2005 , 7:57pm
post #8 of 21

Hi! I looked into getting a dedicated printer last year but when I found out that Cannon was the only one available I was skeptical. I pretty much only do cakes as a "hobby" and won't be using a dedicated printer very often. I also used to own a Cannon printer and unless I used it daily the print head would dry up on me. A couple of the individuals I spoke with about purchasing a set up told me that they have also had this problem with the edible ink print heads on the Cannon printers. Have you had this problem? So far i've just printed up what I want on the image (i have several graphics packages and a scanner at home) and taken it to one of two cake supply stores that are nearby. This works ok but I really haven't been happy with the color on the pictures i've had printed ~ red wasn't red etc... I definitely want one eventually but I will probably wait until I can justify one. One would open up a whole new area of decorating for me ~ as if i'm not trying to do it all already!

Thank you
Debbie

MrsMissey Posted 7 Feb 2005 , 8:17pm
post #9 of 21

The system I bought was a Canon...and yes...I had problems with the printhead, but found out that it was the settings I was using that caused the problems! Since it was still under warranty, Canon sent me a new printhead and no problems since. My colors print out true colors.....you can see some of my pics under my profile on this website:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-MrsMissey.html

You can see that the red in the Xmas cake and superman are really a true RED. If you don't use it on a weekly basis then it might not be worth getting. I use mine constantly...I guess because no one else in our area does this sort of thing! It allows me to put heads on different bodies, backgrounds that aren't really there and lots more!!

If you get one and it sits for awhile, you have to remove the print cartridges and put these other little things in and that could be a pain in the buttuty (sp?). There is also another BIG drawback...........Canon will not honor their warranty if you use edible inks in some of their printers...so things can be a little complicated, to say the least! Someone stop me, please!!!! icon_biggrin.gif Missey

thecakemaker Posted 7 Feb 2005 , 8:24pm
post #10 of 21

they look great! which Cannon set up did you go with? i'll probably break down before too long and get one.

thanx
Debbie

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 7 Feb 2005 , 8:35pm
post #11 of 21

Hi MrsMissey, I have a few question. I do all the cakes for family and friends. I do about 2-4 cakes a month. Not including January I do 9-10. Whew TGI's February!!! Anyhow, I too want to buy a printer. Everyone has themed birthdays. So I always get asked to make some sort of character cake. (meaning alot of color) I guess my question to you would be " how long does your ink last? ". I know that it depends on how many cakes you make, but a rough estimate if you could.. My husband is asking me these questions before he will consider making an investment . He wants to consider it as an investment because he thinks I need to start charging.
1. Will you start charging now? tapedshut.gif
2. How many times will I have to buy ink? icon_eek.gif
3. How much is the paper for it? icon_confused.gif
He isn't being a hard nose, but he is penny pinching right now. We are in the process of buying our home, but I really want to get this.

Thanks in advance!!!

thecakemaker Posted 7 Feb 2005 , 8:38pm
post #12 of 21

great! i spoke with her when i was looking! i actually ordered an image from her for my son's birthday cake last year! (i scanned and e-mailed it to her and she printed it up and mailed it to me) i ordered a pack of icing sheets from her too. i'll definitely go through her if i order one. she was nice to deal with and now i have a recommendation.

thanx again!
Debbie

MrsMissey Posted 7 Feb 2005 , 8:45pm
post #13 of 21

Briansbaker............you have really jumped in with both feet and want to try it all!! Good for you!! Tell your hubby to get you one! You won't be sorry. I think I am going to step up to the next size so that I can print the 11 x 14 (Wider than a regular printer)

Regarding the ink...I've had my system for just about a year and only had to buy refills one time..and I still have a lot! The refills can be pretty messy though...you have to refill each cartridge with a needle and squirt it into the printheads. Not difficult but just wanted you to know that it is not like dropping in a new cartridge or anything that simple! Of course, different colors run out more often that some..........like black, for instance!

I hope that answered your question..if not, just give a yell!

Happy baking, Missey

MrsMissey Posted 7 Feb 2005 , 9:06pm
post #14 of 21

..oh yeah, the other drawback...........people will hand you a "not so great" photo and still want a "cool" cake! I have just uploaded a picture of a cake that fits this description. A bad quality group picture and they wanted me to tie it in with flamingos.....go figure!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&pos=-1391

In the end, it turned out ok but sometimes it takes a lot of time to come up with ideas!

Happy baking, Missey

thecakemaker Posted 7 Feb 2005 , 9:22pm
post #15 of 21

it turned out nice! what would you charge for something like that if you don't mind my asking?

Debbie

MrsMissey Posted 7 Feb 2005 , 9:29pm
post #16 of 21

I forget if that was a 2 layer or not and whether there was a filling included so I can't be sure. But to be on the SAFE SIDE...I like to say that I charge for the box and the cake is free!! I'm guessing that you could charge around $30 or $40 for something like that!

Missey

thecakemaker Posted 7 Feb 2005 , 9:33pm
post #17 of 21

gotcha! thumbs_up.gif

MrsMissey Posted 7 Feb 2005 , 9:36pm
post #18 of 21

icon_lol.gif Thanks!

LeanLioness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanLioness Posted 10 Feb 2005 , 3:40pm
post #19 of 21

MrsMissey -

How did you do the writing and the flamingos? That is so awesome!!!

I hope to get this good some day.

MrsMissey Posted 11 Feb 2005 , 12:53am
post #20 of 21

Thanks Leanlioness.....I did the artwork on my computer and printed it out on edible paper. Missey

zehii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zehii Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 6:01am
post #21 of 21

Hi to all!
Does anybody have an idea on how to make those edible icing sheets and inks (for photo cakes).
I know they are being sold online, but I want to try making them myself. I'm planning to open a small "photo cake project" in a Africa, where it's almost impossible to find such supplies, plus, it costs alot to import them from the US.

Any ideas would be highly appreciated
icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%