Second Thoughts

Decorating By gingsd Updated 1 Oct 2007 , 1:54pm by diane

gingsd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingsd Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 5:41am
post #1 of 8

I made this cake for a friend's 4yr old and am pretty happy with the way it turned out. However, I wish I wouldn't have done the "s" swirls on the bottom tier and instead do pink flowers like on the top tier. I've tried scraping it off, but it just looks worse. I know she'll be happy with it, but I guess I'm just a perfectionist. Live and learn and plan better next time I suppose. Has anyone ever had a "second thought" moment and how do you re-do "mistakes"?
LL

7 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 5:54am
post #2 of 8

OK I see what you are saying about the swirls but really that's only because they compete with her name a bit. Perhaps if you have any darker color pink dust, you can darken the name a bit? Just a thought if you really are desperate to mess with the cake (which I don't think you should really do!)

For SURE you are noticing this in a way your customer will not, and even though you can look at your cake and decide it's not 100% what you want, you really should NOT worry about it! They don't "need" to be removed. Actually, I love swirls and any four-year-old worth her salt will too, they will prob. be fighting over who gets a slice with a swirl on it.

It's beautiful icon_smile.gif. Wonderful tiara too!

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 5:58am
post #3 of 8

Your cake is beautiful and I know they will love it! I think it looks great w/ the s swirls. I know what you mean about trying to perfect things though. Sometimes I am so grateful when I cake gets picked up because then I cannot analyze it anymore or add to or change anything. My daughter gets mad at me and tells me to stop or I'm going to ruin said cake. icon_lol.gif When I do try to correct things sometimes the offending frosting will just fleck off but when it won't , I've been known to refrost. Or sometimes, I'll take off a fondant figure and redo the entire figure! We must be OCD. icon_rolleyes.gif

Your cake is perfect and princess-ly thumbs_up.gif

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 11:57am
post #4 of 8

First let me tell you that I really think your cake is lovely. You are looking at it as the decorator I agree. I do not think that you should kick yourself in the pants!!! I also agree with ceshell, maybe if you did use a little darker shade of pink for the swirls it wouldn't be bugging you so bad. I do have a question. How did you do her name to look so BEAUTIFUL????? I love how it came out. The whole cake is wonderful. thumbs_up.gif

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 12:04pm
post #5 of 8

I think your cake is lovely and im sure she will love it. Stop giving yourself a hard time its lovely.

sweetlycreative Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlycreative Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 12:12pm
post #6 of 8

I think your cake is beautiful. I think as a fellow decorater we tend to judge ourselves way to hard at times. We can stand back, look at a cake, and point out the misperfections, and think could of, "could of, should of" type thoughts. The customer stands back and looks at the cake and says WOW how did you do that. I get alot "how long did it take you?" 90%of the time our worring is over nothing at all, and the customer is very pleased. I'm sure your costomer will LOVE it, and be SOOO thrilled, it looks wonderful!!!! Keep up the wonderfull work.

gingsd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingsd Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments and reassurance. I tossed and turned all night fretting about it. So dumb I know. I know she'll love it and I need to just let it go.
Mommicakes, I created the name by printing an image on the computer, covering it with waxed paper and tracing it with Royal icing.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 1:54pm
post #8 of 8

the swirls look fine...like ceshell suggested...the name does compete with the swirls. i too would make her name darker so it'll stand out. you cake is beautiful btw. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%