How To Transport Cakes

Decorating By nocentstar Updated 12 Feb 2016 , 8:03am by dariusjgeorge

nocentstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nocentstar Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 27

Hi there! I'm trying to figure out how to transport cakes (anything that won't fit in a regular cake box basically). I just made my last cake for the Advanced Wilton class, but it's a total of 8" tall and I'm not sure the best method for getting this around. I've read that you should put the cake together once you're at the location, but what if you can't do that, and it needs to be ready to go as is? Right now, for this cake, I have inserted dowels to stabilize it, then I found a big cardboard box, cut it down a little and cut one of the sides so I can flatten it. I will slide the cake onto the box then close it. I have no idea how this will work, but I really hate putting it together, then taking it apart, then having to put it back together. I'm going to make a border and don't want to ruin it. We'll see how this works...

I saw on tv recently a huge 'mad hatter style' cake on Food Network. It was 4 cakes tall and took 2 people to carry it. It had stuff all over it, and I don't think would be very easy to recreate once at the location, unless you had a van with everything you need I guess. So how does one transport something like that? You have to think about what to carry it in, who's going to carry it, if it will stay steady in your car, how not to make it slide around (I'm using rubber stuff right now), and more!

I just haven't gotten a solid answer to this question yet, except that you assemble it at the location. Surely someone out there has had to have it ready though - what did you do? How did you do it?

Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks!!!!!

26 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 27

I pray!!!

I deliver nearly all my stacked cakes already stacked. I deliver the cake cold if possible, this means that the cake can take a little extra jarring because my icing is pretty solid when cold and the cake is pretty dense when cold. I have delivered up to 4 tiers stacked. I do suggest that you have someone to help you carry it if you need to. I'm a pretty strong person so anything up to a 14, 10,6 stacked i can handle by myself.

You need to find a level spot to set the cake. I place the cake on the floor of the back seat of my truck with the ac vents blowing on it then proceed carefully to my destination. Makesure you think about the roads, before hand. If possible know where you are going so you don't get lost, and also so you can figure out a smoother route to a venue if you need to. (i deliver on a lot of back winding roads)

momoftwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momoftwogirls Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 27

Such a good question!
I would put my cake together at the location, but this is my first cake to deliever too. I would rather do it at home incase of mistakes.

we have a four door truck. should I put in on the floor in the front of the truck? It doesn't seem like there would be enough room in the back.

nocentstar: did you just make a cake box out of a regular shipping box?

peg818 Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 27

I don't box my cakes when i'm delivering a stacked wedding cake.

I place the cake on the floor of the back seat in the truck. I fold the seat up then lay towels to level the floor (there's a little tiny bump that runs across the back floor. I point the ac vent at the cake and run the ac on high, i freeze all the way to the venue, That truck has the best ac in it. Make sure you measure the floor so that you don't make the cake too big to fit. what i do is measure the floor then cut the board for the cake, then take the board out to the truck to make sure it fits. IF for some reason i have a cake that is too big for the floor of the truck (thank goodness it doesn't happen often) I call my step mom and use her SUV, which is great but always needs cleaning before i can transport. where my husband is a stickler about our cars and cleaning them doesn't take long at all.

momoftwogirls Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 27

i didn't even think about folding the seat up! great!

nocentstar Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 27

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice so far on transporting cakes. Some good points in there! I guess I really need to get a truck or something larger than my 2-door. I tried moving the seats forward and backwards and it wouldn't fit (I had to transport my cake to class last night).

I ended up getting a regular shipping box, cutting it down and making it smaller, then I cut one of the sides so I could slide the cake into it. I then bent the flaps down a little and stapled them. Before putting the cake into the box, I put a piece of that rubbery stuff so it wouldn't slide within the box either. I was able to fit it in my trunk and just put stuff around it so I wouldn't slide around. It seemed to work pretty well. Once it was decorated and I had to bring it home and then to work, I only came out with a few flowers that had fallen off. Those were easy to 'glue' back on too. (I have a pic of the cake in the photo gallery under 'Color Scheme' - 'Blue' - it's listed as 'Blue Fondant with Day Lilies' if you'd like to check it out).

So this worked this time, but if the cake gets any bigger it won't fit in my trunk. I didn't think of the idea of aiming the vents towards it either when I'm able to put it inside the car -good idea!

Peg18 ----- when you transport and don't use boxes for the cakes, do you ever get them tilting? I sued dowels to keep the cake together, but was just wondering if you still had any issues with that or does it stay pretty secure?

So thanks for the suggestions so far, and please keep them coming. I'm open to everything right now!!!

Thanks again!

cakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes4fun Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 27

Great question...I was going to submit the same one nocentstar. I have the same dilema.

This past weekend was my sisters bridal shower...I sat in the passengers seat with the cake in my lap and my mom drove. I was sooo paranoid the entire time.

Great ideas...thanks everyone. So basically its: drive slow, and Pray for the best!! icon_surprised.gif)

I have a 3 tier cake to deliver in Oct (my first!! eeeek) so we'll see what happens....I'll keep you posted!!

peg818 Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 5:27pm
post #8 of 27

well, so far i haven't had anything that isn't fixable. BUT i stress deliver that cake COLD the cake won't shift as much if its cold. And you can have shifting and leaning whether or not the cake is in a box.

Here is the last tier cake i delivered in my truck as i discribed, it was also about 90 out with very high humidity and it was for an outside wedding and oh yeah when i got to the venue the building (the cake was going to be inside until cutting) was locked. They had to run around to find a key for the building, all the while the cake was sitting in the truck with the AC cranked.
LL

cakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes4fun Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 5:31pm
post #9 of 27

Love your cake Peg818...look delish!
Is that 2 or 3 layer cakes??

Thank goodness for AC in cars, right?! icon_lol.gif

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 6:08pm
post #10 of 27

I pray too! So far all has been well or should I say fixable. I have assemble some at the site, which makes me nervous, and will avoid doing that from now on if I can. I delivered a three tier to assemble at the venue and it shifted in the car!!!! yikes!!! and it was not even assembled so I wish I would have taken my chances delivering with it already assembled!

I also do not box cakes that I am delivering that do not fit in a "normal" cake box.

Oh, beautiful cake Peg!

bj icon_wink.gif

momoftwogirls Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 6:36pm
post #11 of 27

beautiful cake peg!

I assume that is fondant. how do you get it a cream color? (that is cream right?)

nocentstar Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 7:02pm
post #12 of 27

Hi Peg,

Love the cake you posted!!! So did you need someone to help you carry it? How did you do the designs on the sides? Was it 'painted' on free-hand or did you have a stencil? Looks beautiful!

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 7:45pm
post #13 of 27

I will only tgransport a stacked cake up to 3 tiers. I think I would possibly lose my mind if I did any more than that. Then--if I'm transporting it stacked--I will use a center dowel to ad in stabilization.

I do not refrigerate my cakes. I do, however, store them on my pool table, covered with a rubbermaid container in my finished basement. It's cool enough to keep them nice--but not so cold as to be considered refrigerated.

Honestly--the wedding cake I did last weekend, I had it dowled and ready to go. Since I used plastic seperator plates (long story) I couldn't center dowel it. I transported the cakes unstacked on foam grip sheeting in the back of my Jeep. I only took me minutes to set it up at the hall. The long part was doing the fresh floral and there is no way I would transport a cake with the flowers already on it.

I am not an advocate of poiinting the a/c vents directly at a cake. I feel like there could be too much dust or whatever that could embed itself in the cake. I just turn it on full blast and make the entire Jeep a refrigerator! lol!

I also vacuum my Jeep before every major delivery.

Just my random thoughts.

Lisa

nocentstar Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 8:04pm
post #14 of 27

Lisa - So when you transport the 3 stacked cakes, do you have them in any sort of box or just on the floor on the cake board?

Also, when using flowers (royal, fresh, fondant, etc.) - do you always put everything on when you get to the place? I transported a cake last night and a few flowers fell off. Nothing major, but I can see that transporting with them on probably wouldn't work. How long do you guys allow for set up at the place?

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 9:53pm
post #15 of 27

They are boarded and set on the grip stuff in the back of my jeep--not on the floor per se.

I will put all my bc decorations on at home but not any fresh. I don't really work in royal but when I do any gum paste--I put those on at the location also.

Lisa

peg818 Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 9:28am
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Quote:

Love your cake Peg818...look delish!
Is that 2 or 3 layer cakes??

Thats 2-2inch layers in each tier.

Quote:
Quote:

I assume that is fondant. how do you get it a cream color? (that is cream right?

So did you need someone to help you carry it? How did you do the designs on the sides? Was it 'painted' on free-hand or did you have a stencil?

Thats buttercream not fondant, made with butter and real brown vanilla, smoothed with viva

No for a cake that size i can handle it alone, but if i need help i enlist my 14 year old son. Give him $5 and he's good to go. The designs on the side are just freehanded with chocolate icing and a tip 2.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 10:56am
post #17 of 27

I always assemble all my cakes at the site of the wedding.. I have never, ever stacked any of mine up first .. I just don't want to run a risk of the cake shifting. I bring a bowl of icing along with me and any colors of icing I might need.. I bring my tool caddy with me (Wilton box) along with any other neccesities I may need.. I use shelf liner (that is kind of rubbery feeling0 and place all my cakes on that so they won't slide around in the trunk of my car... I cool my car down first, then I place all the cakes side by side in my car trunk ... I have nothing else in the trunk of my car except cakes! I bring boxes with me and fold those up (I carry them flat) and place them under the cake tables or in the kitchen for the bride to use to bring any cake leftover home with them.

I'm one of those paranoid people that just cannot assemble a cake before a wedding I guess.. I'm sure others can do it with no problems, but I've heard some horror stories on some that have fallen and shifted on people in transport ..

nocentstar Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 3:15pm
post #18 of 27

How long do you guys allow for assembly once you get to your location? I know it probably varies depending on the style of the cake, but do you allow an extra 30 minutes over what you think it will take you, or an hour, or...

Also, how do you work with the location in order to get there to set up? Does the bride handle that (talking to the location to allow you in) or do you call the location yourself?

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 1:00am
post #19 of 27

It usually doesn't take me any longer than a hour to get the cake set up, the borders on the cakes, flowers, etc.

I tell all my brides to have the table completely set up like she wants it before I arrive w/the cakes .. If she wants me to set it up, I bring my cakes in, sit them on another table while I decorate her table for her .. I usually ask her to provide all decorations she'd like on her table or if she wants me to do purchase the decorations, I price shop, give her the list of the prices and then request a check to go make the purchases... I let her know all the ideas I have and what decorations I will be using to make sure that it's everything she likes and would want on her table ... then after setting up the table, I assemble the cake and then leave.. If I have to completely decorate her table, then it could take 2-3 hours to do all the decorating and cake... it all really depends on how much decorating there is to do icon_smile.gif

crouton800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crouton800 Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 6:15am
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

well, so far i haven't had anything that isn't fixable. BUT i stress deliver that cake COLD the cake won't shift as much if its cold. And you can have shifting and leaning whether or not the cake is in a box.

Here is the last tier cake i delivered in my truck as i discribed, it was also about 90 out with very high humidity and it was for an outside wedding and oh yeah when i got to the venue the building (the cake was going to be inside until cutting) was locked. They had to run around to find a key for the building, all the while the cake was sitting in the truck with the AC cranked.

Peg818,

wow! i would have never known that that was buttercream...looks so smooth, i thought it was rolled fondant! fantastic job!
may i ask you what type of buttercream is that? that is, half shortening/half butter and icing sugar type or other types like meringue based??
thanks.

nocentstar Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 2:35pm
post #21 of 27

THanks Cheryl! Good tips! I didn't even think about decorating the table too - very good points!

peg818 Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 6:31pm
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Quote:

may i ask you what type of buttercream is that?

its very close to the recipe that dawn uses for a buttercream transfer

loree001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loree001 Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 2:04pm
post #23 of 27

I only travel with two tiers stacked. So if I have a four-tiered cake, I stack the bottom and next together, then the third and top together, traveling like that, then assemble the four together at the reception hall. I do not box them as I have found this creates more problems for me, (the boxes end up touching the sides of the cake).

I'm fortunate that I have an SUV so there is the back that is perfectly flat, and the cakes don't slide on the carpet, or at least, I haven't had that problem, but I live in Louisiana so the roads are all flat, the biggest hill we have is the dump! icon_rolleyes.gif

A/C is also very important. I also bring a 'set-up kit' with me, which contains bags of icing, tips, viva towels, extra decorations, etc.

I also tell the bride on the day she orders that I need the tables set-up and ready 3 hours before the wedding and that I need to be able to get into the hall to set the cake up, I also remind her that it needs to be very cool in the hall, so please turn on the A/C first thing in the morning. (Down here, if there are a lot of people in one area, the rooms will heat up fast with our humidity, so better to freeze them out than melt the cake!).

I'm so glad you posted this, I've gotten a lot of great ideas, especially decorating the bride's table, I've never thought of offering that service!

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 2:45pm
post #24 of 27

I have a 3 tiered cake to deliver at the end of the month. It is going up to a house that is built up on the side of a hill ....there are many ups/downs twists/turns on the drive there, including one very steep up and one very steep down. I have not decided exactly how to transport this cake yet, I was thinking of having DH hold it while we drive to kind of level it as we go up/down the hills. Maybe I had better stack it when we arrive there?

This is a great thread!

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 2:49pm
post #25 of 27

DO NOT HAVE SOMEONE HOLD IT!!!! Either stack it on the site or stack part of it and then finish it at the site. I am speaking from experience. If you have room ( an suv or some other room in vehicle) use a rubber mat to set it on . If not they are cheap @ the dollar store or walmart.

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 8:32pm
post #26 of 27

I had this problem with my larger cakes too. I asked this question on the wilton boards about 6 months ago, and was told I could use a rubbermaid container as a cake taker. Just place a cut pc of that non slip rubber stuff you use under a floor throw carpet to keep it from slipping down under your cake first. Then use the lid as the bottom and gently place the tub of the rubbermaid type container over the cake. Makes it a LOT easier for transporting in my car. I usually have to put the cakes in the way back and pray none of the kids throws their toys on top of it! LOL. With the cover over it now, I don't have to worry about that. I drive very slowly too. I've been tempted to get a magnetic sign to put on the back of my car that says "Cake on Board" or something along those lines. Being in a college town, ppl seem to get really impatient with me when I'm taking the corners grandpa slow.

dariusjgeorge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dariusjgeorge Posted 12 Feb 2016 , 8:03am
post #27 of 27

Hey all! I Just transported all my baking tools and utensils my kitchenaid and most importantly my gas oven. Thankfully, I am one of the very few people to have nothing happen to the kitchen aid!! I was most worried about that. I have to move to dubai in the coming months but I have no idea of how to transport my equipment. I'm an avid baker who specializes in fondant cakes. My cousin said she had trouble with a few moving companies in dubai. I was reading some forums and I came across a few names like hurmoves, sabamovers. Does anyone know? any help will be appreciated

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%