Doll Cake Using Pampered Chef Batter Bowl...

Decorating By abc123 Updated 1 Oct 2007 , 2:31pm by SeptBabyMom

abc123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abc123 Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 10

I attempted baking in the Pampered Chef batter bowl today in hopes of using it for a doll cake for my daughter's birthday next week. Luckily, today was a trial run. The outside baked well, the center did not. I now realize I need some sort of heating core, any suggestions? Would a flower nail be enough to help or do I need something longer due to the depth of the bowl? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

9 replies
cakeislove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeislove Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 10

My DD purple princess cake was baked in a Pampered Chef batter bowl. That was in my early days and I was having trouble with the wonder mold pan baking evenly all the way through.

I followed the baking directions for the wonder mold pan but dropped the baking temperature by 25 degrees since it is glass. If you forget to lower the temperature, the outside will cook faster than the inside.

Also, it helps to know if your oven is preheated to the correct temperature before you put your cake in. After buying an oven thermometer I found out it takes my oven an extra 15 minutes after the alarm to preheat to the temperature I a set it to. And it's about 5 degrees off. Knowing that was way worth the $6 the thermometer cost me.

abc123 Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 10

I did lower the temperature to 325 degrees, is that low enough? I'm using a brand new oven...so I would hope the temperature would be accurate, but it may be worth checking out. Thanks.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 10

Try using the baking strips around it as well as lowering the temp.

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 10

I've baked all of my doll cakes with the Pampered Chef Batter Bowl. I have never had any trouble. They come out awesome in that batter bowl. I love that thing. I would try using the flower nail in the middle.

cakeislove Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 8:56pm
post #6 of 10

Mine is 1.5 years old and I have a feeling it has been like that from the beginning. It's not really a defect or broken. I think Alton Brown explained it as the way the temperature is taken by the oven sensor. I believe he said that it is reading the air temperature not the physical temperature of the oven. Meaning the air gets to 350 faster than the racks and walls of the oven. Before I figured out that I was putting cakes in before the oven was properly preheated, I was having a lot of trouble with cakes not baking completely, sinking, and over browning on the outsides and top.

Also, I've found that if I keep my large baking stone on a lower rack while I bake (I preheat it along with the oven) the temperature doesn't drop when I open the door or put something in.

You can have top of the line equipment but if you don't know what the actual temperature is inside the oven, nothing will come out right.

cakeislove Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 10

[quote="abc123"]I did lower the temperature to 325 degrees, is that low enough? quote]

Yes, that should be enough. Sorry I missed that!

abc123 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 1:45am
post #8 of 10

sunflowerfreak,

How long did you bake your cakes in the batter bowl and at what temperature?

Thanks

SeptBabyMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeptBabyMom Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 2:04pm
post #9 of 10

I made my first doll cake a couple of weeks ago using the Pampered Chef mixing bowl. I used a little more than a full cake mix, baked at 325 for 1hr 15 minutes. At that point, I quickly opened the oven and inserted a wooden skewer, which came out a little wet still. So I let it bake for another 10 minutes. Afterwhich it was fine.

I'm not sure if I over mixed the batter or not, but I had quite the mound on top of the cake when it was done. Once I leveled it, it seemed to be a little short for my liking, so I baked a 9 inch round that I stacked with the cake from the bowl. I liked that height better.

My doll cake is in my pics, the last one I uploaded.

SeptBabyMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeptBabyMom Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 2:31pm
post #10 of 10

I made my first doll cake a couple of weeks ago using the Pampered Chef mixing bowl. I used a little more than a full cake mix, baked at 325 for 1hr 15 minutes. At that point, I quickly opened the oven and inserted a wooden skewer, which came out a little wet still. So I let it bake for another 10 minutes. Afterwhich it was fine.

I'm not sure if I over mixed the batter or not, but I had quite the mound on top of the cake when it was done. Once I leveled it, it seemed to be a little short for my liking, so I baked a 9 inch round that I stacked with the cake from the bowl. I liked that height better.

My doll cake is in my pics, the last one I uploaded.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%