Covering Square In Fondant

Decorating By Bourgonsgirl Updated 30 Sep 2007 , 4:04pm by Price

Bourgonsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bourgonsgirl Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 3

Need some help! I need to make a square cake for someone and I tried before and I cant get the fondant right on the corners of the cake! How do I get nice even smooth corners, mine turned out all bunchy, overlapping and it looked really bad! Help!

2 replies
LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 3

I've just recently done my first couple of square cakes covered in fondant. I think they both turned out very well. Here's what helped me.

(1) (And Most Important!) Use the alternative marshmallow fondant recipe from here. It adds a bit of Crisco, and it so, so, so much easier to work with! I'll never use another!

(2) Lay the fondant over cake -- cut off most of the excess with a pizza wheel -- then smooth the fondant down, working around a little at a time -- and go for the "top had" effect - where the excess at the bottom sticks out onto the counter or cake board like the brim of a hat.

(3) If it looks like it might crease, just VERY gently pull the excess out a bit, sort of stretching it from the top and try to get the top hat effect. It will work!

Be patient and try not to get frustrated -- that's when you get creases. Good luck!!

Here's my last one -- not perfect by any stretch - but I thought it came out pretty good. Actually think my only problem was that I didn't have the buttercream corners underneath straight enough.
LL

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 3

Here is a link. Take a look at this video and it should answer most of your questions. Aine2 has some great tutorials!

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5127913-.html#5127913

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%