Carrots In Carrot Cake

Baking By lish1904 Updated 7 Oct 2007 , 6:04am by belindajax

lish1904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lish1904 Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 3:33am
post #1 of 18

The recipes I have for carrot cake call for grated carrots but I bought shredded carrots before I looked at the recipes. Can the shredded be used or do I really need to use grated carrots?

17 replies
nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 3:35am
post #2 of 18

Pretty sure you can use shredded too!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 5:54am
post #3 of 18

I shred

manders Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manders Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 6:11am
post #4 of 18

As long as the shreds are pretty small i dont see why you cant just use them. Ive never tried it before but have been tempted since i hate shreading 4 cups of carrots so if you do it let us know how it turns out.

illini89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
illini89 Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 6:15am
post #5 of 18

i only use shredded carrots.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 6:16am
post #6 of 18

The first time I did shredded carrots I used the larger side of the grater. Though it didn't dawn on me to use the small side before I baked the cake, it still got rave reviews so I guess it didn't throw anyone off.
But now I use the small grating holes...

I wonder if the larger shreds helped keep the cake super-moist?

LiliS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LiliS Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 6:26am
post #7 of 18

I grate my carrots. Turns out yummy every time.

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 6:56am
post #8 of 18

I have done them both ways and IMO it's worth it to grate/shred them fresh. The already shredded carrots in the bag don't add as much moisture therefore the cake is usually pretty dry and the carrots are tough. icon_razz.gificon_redface.gifthumbsdown.gif Even my family knew the difference icon_rolleyes.gificon_redface.gif so the vote here is to do it yourself - shredding/grating those carrots!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif The easiest way to do this is with either a food processor or a blender. You won't be sorry. icon_cool.gif

Good luck! icon_smile.gif
LadyMike

lish1904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lish1904 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 12:58am
post #9 of 18

Thanks all for your help I just decided to send my husband to the store to get me some carrots and a grater icon_biggrin.gif and the cake turned out great.

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 1:02am
post #10 of 18

I think that you could have just put the shredded carrots in a food processor if you have one and they would've been fine to use.

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 1:10am
post #11 of 18

I'm a shredder! No complaints in several decades. icon_lol.gif

MadPhoeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadPhoeMom Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 1:12am
post #12 of 18

for what it is worth
Alton Brown says to use freshly grated, and do NOT put them through the food processor or it will bring out TOO much juice.....

i do whatever HE says,
Sally

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 2:14am
post #13 of 18

OK I'm weird--I replace some of the liquid in the recipe for carrot baby food. I have texture issues icon_lol.gif that way I get all the flavor and none of the texture icon_wink.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 2:17am
post #14 of 18

I actually throw the carrots into my food processor (its a larger one) and it grinds them up pretty good so you just have tiny pieces instead of long grated strands. Once they are baked into the cake you don't have that "carrot texture".

Not sure about Alton but it works great for me.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 4:54am
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I actually throw the carrots into my food processor (its a larger one) and it grinds them up pretty good so you just have tiny pieces instead of long grated strands. Once they are baked into the cake you don't have that "carrot texture".

Not sure about Alton but it works great for me.

I also use the processor and haven't had any issues. I just pulse the baby carrots until I get the texture I want in seconds.

belindajax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
belindajax Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 5:25am
post #16 of 18

The recipe that I use calls for baby food carrots so there is no grating or shredding. It turns out moist and yummy every time.

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 5:42am
post #17 of 18

belindajax I am always looking for a great recipe. Share with us.

belindajax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
belindajax Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 6:04am
post #18 of 18

I've been meaning to add this to the recipe section but have never gotten around to it. I guess now is a good time. In the meantime, here's the recipe.

4 Eggs
2 1/2 Cups Flour
2 Cups Sugar
2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Cup Vegetable Oil
3 Jars (4 1/2 ounce) Strained Baby Food Carrots
1/2 Chopped Walnuts

Beat Eggs. Add flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, oil, and carrots. Stir in walnuts. Bake 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%