Princess Party This Weekend - Stand Up Doll Cake

Decorating By midwestmom Updated 14 Aug 2013 , 11:51pm by rebeccas

midwestmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midwestmom Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 26

I'd love to try one of the doll cakes that stand up. Anyone who's made them before, I'd love ANY & ALL suggestions please!!! What are the various pans/bowls you can use for the dress? any favorites? ones to avoid? how about tips/suggestions for dolls?

25 replies
llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 26

I have done a couple of these. I have one in my photos if you would like to look. I used the Wonder mold for the skirt, bc for the "ruffles" and fondant for the overlay on Cinderella's dress.

My suggestions are to use a real Barbie rather than a doll pick. I can just imagine the hurt feelings my dd would have had if I pulled half a doll out of her cake! lol! I just wrapped her really well in plastic wrap and stuck her in the middle of the cake.

Also--don't push her too far in. I have another doll cake that I pushed her in all the way to what would have been the waist of the dress not thinking that I would put icing on top of that. With my Cinderella doll--I pushed her in to her hips and then built up a bit of icing to make the waist of the dress.

I also used about 1.5 cake mixes, placing a cookie sheet underneath. Otherwise, it doesn't fill the pan and you end up with a skimpy dress.

Jsut my random thoughts! Good luck and post pics!!

Lisa

midwestmom Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 26

In the gallery, there used to be several pictures of princess cakes. This person made all of the princesses for a party. They were beautiful & now I can't find the pictures!!

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 26

I just did one of these cakes about 2 weeks ago...picture posted in my photo page. I used the pick...didn't think you could actually get a full size barbie doll down without ripping the cake.

I think fondant would be a great way to do one, but I personally don't like the taste of fondant...so I use BC all over...did the paper towel smoothing method...worked great! Hope to try the MMF soon, and then maybe I'll give the doll cake another shot. The pictures that come with the pan are mostly done with fondant...so out of luck if you don't like regualar fondant.

Good luck.

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 26

I just recently did a doll cake as well. I used the cake mix extender recipe from this site and added it to my cake mix and it was plenty for a good full skirt. I used the doll pick and MMF for the skirt. I used the wonder mold pan. Allow plenty of baking time my cake took over an hour.

Hope it turns out great!

butrcup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butrcup Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 6:37pm
post #6 of 26

Midwestmom-I asked about doll cakes this week-end and have gotten alot of infor from everyone, its under "doll cake question" in the forum. It has some great tips about the size of the doll vs. picks, etc. It also has a link by Squirrellycakes on how to make them-great stuff, good luck

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 4:15am
post #7 of 26

Yes, I put a link to some instructions on that other post referred to. Everyone means something different when they refer to a Princess Barbie, however here is one I have done.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes
LL

midwestmom Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 2:33pm
post #8 of 26

Thanks for the great replies. Charman, your doll cake is beautiful. You smoothed the icing with a wet paper towel? It really looks great. What cake pans did you use? I will have to buy something since I don't have any pans in the right shape. I don't do fondant either. The only decorating I have done are stars. Squirrelycakes, your Barbie looks beautiful too. Is that a full-sized Barbie?

midwestmom Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 2:34pm
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

Yes, I put a link to some instructions on that other post referred to. Everyone means something different when they refer to a Princess Barbie, however here is one I have done.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

I couldn't get the link to work icon_sad.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 2:42pm
post #10 of 26

Yes it is a full size Barbie.
Perhaps you needed to type it in.
Anyway, here is the post.
Barbie Cakes
The Wondermold isn't deep enough on its own for a Barbie cake, so you need an extra layer or two of cake underneath so that Barbie can go inside the cake and the cake starts at her waist. I use petal pans. A 9 inch and sometimes a larger one - up to the 15 inch size. Of course you can do it with the round or even place the Wondermold - on a dowelled sheet cake.
First of all, the top of the extra layer or layers of cake has to be iced. Also fill if you are using more than one layer as your bottom cake that the Wondermold will sit on.
I found a great way of keeping Barbie clean and also coring the cake and keeping her enclosed and stable. An empty paper towel roll - well two actually. You are best off boarding the Wondermold and also using a strong cake base for the whole cake. So you mark the centre of the underneath of the double covered boards that the Wondermold will sit on, I places them covered sides out and glue gun the two together. Then I cut a hole large enough for a paper towel inner tube to fit through. So you work the paper towel cardboard roll straight up through the bottom or underneath side of the boarded Wondermold cake and then remove. This will core your cake. Alternately, you can just fill with icing between the Wondermold cake and the additional layer, no boards and core from the top down. I have found that this works well, undowelled too. It just makes the cakes slices a little more awkward because of the height of them. Ok, so if you boarded the Wondermold, and now you have cored it, you also need to core the layer cake this is sitting on. So you centre a board the same size as the boarded cake on the lower cake and mark off the centre of the lower cake, then core the centreagain using the paper towel roll. You will want to put 5 dowels in the centre of the marked area on the lower cake around the cored hole. Place some icing sugar in the area where the Wondermold will sit on the lower cake. So now you place the cored Wondermold cake over the dowelled lower cake and line up the holes. So now you are going to take a fresh paper towel inner cardboard tube. Insert Barbie so that the tube starts at her waist - it is a tight fit - Barbie's hip's will make it a really tight fit. So You check to see if the paper towel roll when inserted with the Barbie, will be too long for the height of your lower cake and the Wondermold combined, and you slice off the correct amount from the bottom of the paper towel roll. Now cover the roll with foil or plastic wrap and reinsert the Barbie up to her waist. If the height of your combined lower levels and the Wondermold, will be much more than the enclosed Barbie in the paper towel roll, then you will want to also place a dowel inside of the enclosed Barbie/roll so that you have a centre dowel that goes though all of the layers to the bottom . Otherwise the Barbie in the roll acts as your centre dowel. So now you are ready to decorate.
I transport these doll cakes using a moving box. I cut the front flap all the way down. Then I completely line the box with foil and tape it well. I line the botom with that rubbery shelf liner that stops any movement - I get it from the Dollar Store. You can cut off the top flaps if the box is high enough to enclose Barbie or tape them all up in a vertical position. So you tape the front flap back in place. Then I take another piece of foil and tape it in place over the top of the opened box. When deliverd, a utility knife is used to cut the front flap that was taped, open.

midwestmom Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 2:56pm
post #11 of 26

I love how full this dress is.
http://www.ecreative.com.sg/cakes_details.asp?PSID=231
What do you think they used?

midwestmom Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 2:59pm
post #12 of 26

Wow, I think I need illustrations!! That sounds really complicated. I'm thinking maybe I should just buy the doll picks now.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 1:37am
post #13 of 26

Well, they may have used the wondermold or perhaps a bowl. They used fondant it appears, to cover it.
Ooh, sorry, didn't realize the instructions sound complicated, they really are not, unfortunately, I didn't do a tutorial when making these cakes up. I will the next time I do one, though. Things always sound harder to do then they actually are to do.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

midwestmom Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 2:38am
post #14 of 26

walmart had a wonder mold so i got that.
i can't wait to give it a try. icon_smile.gif

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 5:37pm
post #15 of 26

Thanks...I used the VIVA paper towel technique to smooth the icing on her dress. The pan I used was the Wilton Wonder Bowl, and a pick. The bodice part of the doll was just piped on with a #4 or #5 tip, and I smoothed with my finger and cornstarch! Good luck.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 2:32am
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom

walmart had a wonder mold so i got that.
i can't wait to give it a try. icon_smile.gif

You will need at least one more 2-3 inch layer of cake underneath this wondermold to be able to insert the doll up to her waist. Sometimes I use two two inch deep rounds or petal shaped cakes underneath the wondermold. I like the effect with the 9 inch round petal pan.
Hugs Squirrelly

midwestmom Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 3:36pm
post #17 of 26

I think I'm just going to use the doll pick that came with the wonder mold. My daughter has a Belle doll that I might try to take the head off of & put on the pick. I can't decide when to get started. The party is on Sun. and I still have most of my house to clean AND a bachelorette party on Sat. night. I would totally skip the bach party, but it's my sister. Urgh.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 3:41pm
post #18 of 26

I just posted a pic of a barbie doll cake I did for my granddaughter. I used an old swirled tube pan that I have. It wasnt big enough so I put it on top of an 8" layer. I used the doll pick but with that kind of a pan (if you have one) you could wrap the doll's legs and stick them in the hole, and decorate from there.

midwestmom Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 4:24pm
post #19 of 26

Gingoodies (I'm Gin too icon_smile.gif
you did a great job on the barbie.
I love her swirled dress.

SmilieFace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SmilieFace Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 4:34pm
post #20 of 26

I'm new to this site...where do I go to learn about the towel smoothing technique?

midwestmom Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 3:51pm
post #21 of 26

okay, here's my first attempt at a stand up doll cake.
LL

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 8:38pm
post #22 of 26

Your doll cake is very pretty!
traci icon_razz.gif

midwestmom Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 2:24am
post #23 of 26

Thank youicon_smile.gif
My Cinderella is in my photos too.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 2:28am
post #24 of 26

Lovely job, good for you!
HUgs Squirrelly Cakes

midwestmom Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 6:56am
post #25 of 26

Thanks, my little princess loved them icon_smile.gif

rebeccas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebeccas Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 11:51pm
post #26 of 26

hello iam making my first doll cake for my granddaughter friday  what is a good recipe for the cake itsself so it wont fall apart on me or crumb up when decorating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%