Vegan Fondant

Decorating By octopus Updated 1 Jul 2008 , 3:13pm by costumeczar

octopus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
octopus Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 11:13am
post #1 of 7

has anyone tried making fondant with vegan marshmallows. i was just trying to do the same and my powdered sugar keeps lumping and the texture of the vegan marshmallows are very different. any help would be appreciated to rectify the situation

thank you

6 replies
vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 12:10pm
post #2 of 7

I can't help you, but I'm curious...what are vegan marshmallows made out of and why would you need vegan marshmallows? What is in them that makes them vegan? I work with someone who is a vegan so I'm always finding stuff for her and I didn't think anything in marshmallows would matter. Thank you.

cheflish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheflish Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 7

Marshmallows are made out of gelatin and that is made from the hoof and "parts" of pigs/cows/etc....

I, too, am looking for a vegan/vegetarian marshmallow that I can make at home. I have tried THREE recipes today! None work!!!

HELP!
Lish

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 2:03am
post #4 of 7

Satin Ice is vegan.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 7

SATIN ICE IS VEGAN!?!?!?!? Wow, that helps for future vegan clients! Thanks for the tip!

They also sell vegan gelatin if you want to go that route. Check online or in health food stores.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:46pm
post #6 of 7

Well, my daughter who is a vigiliant vegan read the ingredient list and says it is.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 7

I looked at a label and it doesn't have gelatin listed, I think it's tylose or another gum if I remember correctly. That's awesome, because I've done vegan cakes and was always at a loss when the clients wanted gumpaste flowers. Now I can just use Satinice to make the gumpaste. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%