*sniffle* My Own Cake, Too!

Decorating By DoniB Updated 30 Sep 2007 , 2:35am by DoniB

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 9

Last night, I baked my cakes. two tiers, two layers each, of spice cake. They were to be torted to 4 layers per tier, and would have the top and bottom two layers filled with french apple filling, while the middle filling would have cream cheese icing with apple pie spice. Yum, right???

So bright and early this morning, I get up to decorate the cake and put it together for the trip to Mom's for lunch. I cut the tops off, and torte the first layer, then have to run to the little cake decorator's room. icon_razz.gif

While I'm in there, my two male cats decide to wreak havoc, and do something they NEVER do... fight on the counter.

You guessed it... all but one layer of cake ended up on the floor. Not content to leave the layers safely on the plastic wrap (I'd laid it on top of them while I ran to the restroom), they then fought THROUGH the cakes, scattering them to various parts of the kitchen.

At which point, 'Mama' walks in and yells bloody murder at them both. While my back is turned, squirting my darlings with the dreaded Squirt Bottle of Doom, the dogs, alerted by the sound of a cat fight, come trotting in.

Needless to say, there wasn't much for me to clean up, with two such efficient Floor Mates ready to suck every last crumb into their greedy mouths.

But I didn't have a cake to take to my own party! Mom ended up saving the day by baking me one, and my cake had simply my name, written in the frosting with the edge of a knife, and *mumble mumble* candles on it.

Sigh.

I guess it could have been worse... it could have been a cake I'd promised to someone else, but man... my own birthday???

Ah well... guess I'll just save the icing and filling for next time!

Anyhow, just had to share.

Now, to go eat Chinese... (just kidding... I'm not really serving up my kitties in the chicken lo mein... really, I'm not!)

8 replies
christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 9

Just gotta love those fur babies!!! icon_lol.gif At least your mom cared enough to make you a cake!! I'm 47 and my mom has never made me a cake!!

party.gifparty.gifparty.gif Happy BirthdayTo YOU!!!

jhomik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhomik Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 9

I am so sorry! It sounded DELICIOUS, too. I love spice cake, apple and cream cheese. I might need to "steal" your birthday cake...

birthday.gif Hope you had a happy one anyway! birthday.gif

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 9

I am so sorry your cats took exception to their no-kitchen/counter fighting guidelines...bother!!! That's terrible.
Since this year, my birthday fell in the midst of my packing up to move - I didn't get to make my own birthday cake, either...

But my dear friends had a suggestion that I now share w/you:

Make a cake another time, and just call that arbitrary day 'Belated Birthday Cake Day'!!!

Their reasoning was "none of your friends/family will turn away from cake!"

I liked that idea a LOT and am about to finally celebrate 'BBCD', when I can find the time to make 'my' cake! (it will be about 4 months 'belated', but all the same...!

Best wishes to you and a VERY Happy Birthday however long you choose to celebrate it! icon_smile.gif
Wendl

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 9

im sorry that happened to you
it did sound yummy

pidge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pidge Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 9

My mother has this endearing little saying:
I LOVE cats ,,,they taste just like chicken! icon_eek.gificon_confused.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif

But how depressing!!! I made the cutest little cake for my birthday and somehow the pictures got deleted ... still got to eat the thing, but nothing to post on CC!! icon_cry.gif

mbasic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbasic Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 11:59pm
post #7 of 9

(((((HUGS)))))) and Happy Birthday.

I am so sorry you missed your own special birthday cake. It sounded yummy.

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 12:07am
post #8 of 9

I am sorry your cake was ruined but I do hope you had a very

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 2:35am
post #9 of 9

thanks all!

My b-day is actually Sunday (tomorrow), so there's still hope, but this was the cake for the 'family' to enjoy. I had another cake planned for the friends tomorrow, when we go over there. icon_razz.gif

So I have the chance to make another one, but at this point in time, I dont' have the energy. I was really counting on having leftovers of this one, to take to the friends' place tomorrow. icon_razz.gif

Ah well!

I'm sure it will be a great birthday, either way. icon_razz.gif If I manage to make another one, I'll share pics, but don't hold your breath. After the week I've had, I was lucky to have got as far as I did with the 'brutalized' one this morning! LOL (Had an emergency laparascopic appendectomy and hernia repair last Sunday morning. It's been a rough week! Maybe I'll just take it easy tomorrow and pick up a grocery-store cake. LOL)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%