New To Cookies And Read This Paragraph And Need Opinions!

Baking By sharibearie Updated 29 Sep 2007 , 9:50pm by cookiemookie

sharibearie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharibearie Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 5

I read this article and it said it's a good idea to seal the cookies to make them last longer. Does anyone do this and if so...does it make the cookie weird? I wondered if it would make the cookie hard or anything...or too soggy to decorate? Please help!! thank you!! icon_biggrin.gif

Here's what it said:

Glaze the cookie with a mixture of powdered sugar, water and corn syrup. Apply with a brush. Let the first side dry for an hour, then flip and brush the back side. Dry for another hour. This seals the cookie, keeping them fresh for up to two weeks.

4 replies
rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 5

I've personally never heard of the double side glazing thing before. I bake the cookies, let them cool, decorate with Royal icing, let that set for at least 12 hours then bag them in cello, shrink bags or poly bags. They've stayed fresh for weeks this way.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 5

forgot to add that I use a modified version of Penny's sugar cookie recipe and Antonia's royal icing.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 5

I've heard of doing this.
If they're going to be around for that long, I usually freeze most of them and take out what I think we'll want every day or so.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 5

Believe it or not, I have done that. It was also before I found this site.

It's not as weird as it sounds. When it is dry you can't even tell it's there except for the fact that your cookies don't leave crumbs. As to whether or not it keeps them fresher, I'm not sure. The cookies I did this with went pretty fast. It was one of the few times I used fondant, and it was yucky Wilton at that. I now know there are better tasting fondants out there.

I think it does work, but then it is an extra step.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%