Square Or Sheet Corners

Decorating By VonVon Updated 30 Sep 2007 , 1:09am by VonVon

VonVon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VonVon Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone!!!
I'm seeking help...again! I have been baking cakes for a while and I still can't get good corners. I seem to always have one side that's lopsided! It always dips downward. I usually make this side the back of the cake. I look at a lot of pictures on this site and they have perfect corners. I have Magicline 3" pans...thinking this would help...I have tried smoothing my batter, pushing extra in the corners....please tell me what I am doing wrong???!!!!!!

6 replies
vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 7

I use Magic Line 2in pans, bake even strips, and flower nails.

I also drop my pan a few inches onto the countertop, to get rid of any bubbles, and it distributes the batter evenly,

If you are already doing this, check your oven and oven racks with a level to make sure your oven is levelled.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 7

Are you baking at 325? This seems to help the batter from rising so fast and it seems to keep stuff evened out better, also some use those baking strips on the sides of the pan. I myself hate putting those on and messing with it. Try the lower temp. HTH I also add some extra batter than what they call for it mounds up some but when i press it down with a towel when it comes out of the oven it's flat. I don't even have to level it and the corners are thicker.

Yep what the previous person said too, check out those racks. My husband had to put a piece of wood under my oven once cause mine did that so bad unlevel.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 7

ditto on what debster said, I bake mine at 325 as well

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 7

Maybe you're oven is uneven? I can't picture what you mean exactly but I usually have a lip on my cakes so I wrap and store them in the freezer a few hours and then turn them upside down and use a knife to carve the edges straight. I also do that when I bake in those horrible wilton square pans. (slowly buying up magic line!)

q2wheels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
q2wheels Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith

Maybe you're oven is uneven? I can't picture what you mean exactly but I usually have a lip on my cakes so I wrap and store them in the freezer a few hours and then turn them upside down and use a knife to carve the edges straight. I also do that when I bake in those horrible wilton . (slowly buying up !)

I have those "horrible wilton" pans icon_eek.gif and I have NEVER had a problem with my sides or my corners being anything less than perfect. For every square/retangular cake I've made, those who see my cakes are amazed at how "professional" they look.

My 2 cents,

Toni Ann

VonVon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VonVon Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 1:09am
post #7 of 7

Hi all,
Thanks! I tried tapping the pan on the counter and that seemed to work. I used to use the baking strips and then for some reason (don't recall now) I stopped. So I will try those again too!
Thanks again everyone!!
Von

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%