Christmas Ornaments Explained

Decorating By cocorum21 Updated 4 Oct 2007 , 8:13pm by colocha

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 7:18pm
post #31 of 75

I'm SO excited I found this thread.....guess what I'm doing this weekend? I love the idea of putting little toys in them....that's what I was thinking as I was reading this thread. My neices and nephews are going to love them!

Thanks!

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 7:21pm
post #32 of 75

KHalstead:

I am dying here..(rotflmao)....you got to calm down girl. I don't think I can take how excited you are about this. These people at work think I am crazy because I am cracking up.

Now about the Almond Joy Balls. Got to Love Paula Deen this is her recipe, people who don't even like coconut love these.

Almond Joy Chocolate Balls

Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
See this recipe on air Monday Nov. 01 at 11:30 AM ET/PT.

Recipe Summary Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 30 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 3 hours Cook Time: 7 minutes Yield: 75 to 100 balls

2 (16-ounce) boxes confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon pure almond extract
1 (14-ounce) package shredded coconut
1 1/2 cups chopped almonds
1/2 bar paraffin

Cream together sugar and butter in a bowl; add milk. Stir in almond, coconut, and nuts; mix well. Form candy into 1-inch balls. Place on waxed paper and refrigerate at least 3 hours. Melt paraffin and chocolate in top of double boiler, stirring well. Remove from heat but allow chocolate to remain over hot water. (If chocolate becomes too thick, return to heat for a minute or so to thin). With a toothpick, dip each ball in chocolate and place on waxed paper until set.

cupcake55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake55 Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 10:31pm
post #33 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladivacrj

Also about the decorating, can I paint on them. If so, with what? Needs to be something that dries.

I went to a demonstration where Chef Laure'l Silverberg showed how you could paint on chocolate by adding blending powder to your color. The website to purchase this powder is:

www.thesweetpalette.com/index.html

WickedBlu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedBlu Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 10:34pm
post #34 of 75

AWESOME!

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 10:38pm
post #35 of 75

Thanks for posting this!! It should definitely be a tutorial as well.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 10:54pm
post #36 of 75

Just wondering if they could be airbrushed.

pinkorchid50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkorchid50 Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 11:19pm
post #37 of 75

Blend what powder ? icon_confused.gif

Lia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lia Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 11:47pm
post #38 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

That is so cool! Thanks.

By the way, a little hint I picked up from watching an episode of Death by Chocolate with Marcel Desaulniers. For a quick chocolate mold: pour flour into a pan large enough to accomadate what you want to mold. Press the item to be molded into the flour then carefully pull it out. Next, CAREFULLY add melted chocolate (preferrably from an icing bag or plastic bottle) into the flour "mold". Let cool and remove. Gently brush off flour residue.

I saw this done on the show, but have never had the need to do it myself yet. Just been filing it away in the back of my brain in case I ever need it. Thought I'd share it with you all.

I think I might have seen that one...I've also seen it done in cocoa powder so that you don't have to worry as much about getting off the flour or any taste effect on the chocolate. icon_biggrin.gif

tracy702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracy702 Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 11:59pm
post #39 of 75

That looks awesome - I am going to get some plastic ornaments. I want to try this weekend to make some. Looks like fun.

cakesbykellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykellie Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 12:06am
post #40 of 75

ok... time for me to pipe in a stupid question (i know... NO question is stupid... blah blahblah...) ok, so when you are all decorating these ornaments, how are you holding them without marking them up? Chocolate gloves? what are you resting them on to dry without marking them up?

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 12:22am
post #41 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbykellie

ok... time for me to pipe in a stupid question (i know... NO question is stupid... blah blahblah...) ok, so when you are all decorating these ornaments, how are you holding them without marking them up? Chocolate gloves? what are you resting them on to dry without marking them up?

You can just place then on parchment paper. or you can put it on top of a cup. I have some small glass condiment dishes that i put mine on top of and when you decorate one side you can let it dry and then turn. I would put them in the fridge a few minutes before just incase you do have to handle them they won't melt in your hands. I have gloves and still if you hold them too long the warmth comes through.

cupcake55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake55 Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 12:22am
post #42 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkorchid50

Blend what powder ? icon_confused.gif

It is powder you mix with food coloring so it will adhere to the chocolate. Without it, the food color will bead up on the chocolate.

Ladivacrj Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 12:45am
post #43 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladivacrj

I found that I am getting 5-6 out of a 1lb. bag in an 80mm ball. They are not to thick, not to thin.

Also about the decorating, can I paint on them. If so, with what? Needs to be something that dries.

I gave you all a bad number I am working on them now and I am getting about 4-5 out of a 1/2 lb.

Sorry about that.

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 6:35am
post #44 of 75

After reading the instructions I ducked away and made one. The mould is exactly the same. It worked! I just used melted chocolate, followed the instructions and it popped out right away. Going to have another go tomorrow with white chocolate that I will colour. Thanks for the instructions.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 6:55am
post #45 of 75

Drat, drat, drat!!! (Excuse my rodent enclosed language) icon_wink.gif

I dug out my old craft stuff and found the plastic "casing" pieces I had bought at Michael's and never used years ago and instead of spheres they're heart-shaped! I'm so annoyed. One more thing I have to add to my shopping list now.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 7:09am
post #46 of 75

Ok here is my question. How do you make a mold for chocolate? I see where you did that for the gold top part. What do you use for the mold?

These sound like a great fun way to give a gift card too. Are they big enough for that????

Joanne

cocorum21 Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 11:20am
post #47 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneK

Ok here is my question. How do you make a mold for chocolate? I see where you did that for the gold top part. What do you use for the mold?

These sound like a great fun way to give a gift card too. Are they big enough for that????

Joanne

I ordered from http://www.sugarcraft.com/ on the left side if you go to the CANDY section there is a 'make your own mold' page it's a two part silicone mixture that you mix and then press/imprint what you want to mold.

The 80mm are the size of an acutual ornament so I don't think you can get a gift card inside but there are two sizes that are larger that you MIGHT be able to get one in.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 11:51am
post #48 of 75

okay I know I am probably going to sound stupid here and I know it was asked earlier but..... if I want to fill the ball with a treat, I would not seal the two sides together until AFTER it comes out of the freezer... right?

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 12:08pm
post #49 of 75

Yes, seal after they are molded. The business card 'sounded' like a cute idea for inside, but you would have to make sure the person receiving it wants to break open chocolate for your card (and possibly having the card have chocolate on it). I know my husband doesn't like to 'fight with his food' and wouldn't go for something like that even if it is a cute idea. But this whole idea is so cute but sure got away from the cupcakes! LOL

cakesbykellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykellie Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 12:16pm
post #50 of 75

use the heart shapes you found! those would be cute! cAN YOU TURN THEM UPSIDE DOWN AND MAKE THEM LOOK LIKE sANTA???? at the very least....think ahead for Valentines day.....(i know, let's get through TODAY first!!) icon_eek.gif

Ladivacrj Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 1:50pm
post #51 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald

okay I know I am probably going to sound stupid here and I know it was asked earlier but..... if I want to fill the ball with a treat, I would not seal the two sides together until AFTER it comes out of the freezer... right?

mcdonald:

I am attaching the link to my post, it has the shells just laying there. I am going to finish making my truffle and almond joy balls.

Take both sides of the shell, put them back into the mold, take my candy and fill one side of the mold, use some more melted chocolate around the edges and fuse them together.

hth, and there is no stupid ?, if so I get the prize. These things have had my mind in a world wind every since the subject came up.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=53734&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

cocorum21 Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 3:26pm
post #52 of 75

The question that no one has asked yet........(drum roll)....How much?

I just had someone over and they saw all my choco balls and thought they were plastic, I explained what I was making and she asked how much for a dozen. I was like a deer in headlights icon_eek.gif I have no clue. I was just making them for gifts for family and friends and for some shameless advertising for my future business. I made two sizes the 80mm and 60mm.

Any Ideas?

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 3:48pm
post #53 of 75

Ladivacrj,
Please let me know how the Almond Joy balls turn out. I don't have time to make them right now but I did print it out. I love Almond Joy's!!

Ladivacrj Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 4:38pm
post #54 of 75

Well cocorum:

I guess amongst all the excitement of giving them as gifts we forgot what we do this for on occassion, $$$.

I have no idea about a price, they are pricing the cupcakes at $3-6, in the other post we spun off of.

vickymacd:

I have also attached a pic of the truffles (covered in white chocolate) and almond joy balls (covered in dark chocolate). They are fabulous, I made them a couple of years ago and gave them as gifts everyone loved them.
LL

heather2780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather2780 Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 5:46pm
post #55 of 75

so you really just have to fill the molds up with candy melts and then tape togther let dry and then decorate wow thats way easier than i thought it would be! would you have to hollow them out once there dried in order to fill them? and also what do you use for the top and the hook?

cocorum21 Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 6:35pm
post #56 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneK

Joanne

I just went to Walmart and I saw these same plastic mold but larger. They were selling them as gift card packaging. They were located right near the registers with the gift cards. They are larger than the ones that I have been using. You might want to check it out.

Ladivacrj

First off, those truffles look great! So if the cupcakes are going between $3-6 then maybe $2-3 for unfilled chocolate molds and more for ones that are filled with goodies?

Ladivacrj Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 9:01pm
post #57 of 75

cocorum21:

Remember they still have to be decorated and this is chocolate which is more expensive.

These are requiring the same amount of work as working with fondant, imho.

I think they should be in the same range.

Maybe after some more people get a chance tp try them they can weigh in.

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 2:02am
post #58 of 75

I have 2 more questions before I start mine icon_biggrin.gif How are you all making the top silver part that the hook would go in. I saw someone is using a silicone mold but I don't have that. Is anyone doing anything different?

Also, are you decorating with royal icing after the molds are done? Can't wait to get started!

Thanks!

Ladivacrj Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 2:32pm
post #59 of 75

I am using the hershey kiss mold for my tops. I'm not really worrying about the string part.

I have decorated them with royal.
LL

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 4:56am
post #60 of 75

I thought you guys might find this interesting since I know some of you were asking about pricing for the chocolate ornaments. I was looking through the Red Envelope mail order catalog and they had "Christmas Chocolate Ornaments" for sale. I had never seen anything like this until CC and now here they are in a catalog for sale! the description reads as follows "Revive the 19th century edible ornament tradition with this set of solid milk-chocolate tree trimmers. Wrapped in silver and gold foil, each comes with a metal topper, ribbon and hangtag denoting one of the 12 days of christmas. Each measures 1 1/2 inch in diameter. Set of 12." Here is the best part, they are selling for 60$ icon_surprised.gif Now I know they are solid chocolate but some of you were talking about filling them with truffles so it is sort of the same icon_confused.gif Plus these have NO decoration on them at all, just unwrap the foil and it is a plain old chocolate ball.

I just thought this might help someone icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%