Using Gel For Colored Icing

Decorating By Fawnwittwins Updated 1 Aug 2005 , 9:47pm by Fawnwittwins

Fawnwittwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fawnwittwins Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 6:20am
post #1 of 3

I mada a Barney cake for my niece when she turned 2 and it called for alot of purple.. I do not know why or is it just me that all the vibrant colors, like purple, black, red, green they have a bitter taste to them.
Is their other ways to get the colors without the bitter taste? I used butter cream icing, I also want to know what is diffrence between butter cream and royal does it taste diffrent? I prefer whipped becuase I dont like the Sugary taste.
I am a new beginner at this I basically have taught myself all that I know.
I am going to see in taking classes so that I can learn other things and learn how to make flowers.

2 replies
ivanabacowboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivanabacowboy Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 9:21am
post #2 of 3

I am fairly new at this but I do know that Royal icing is generally not used for icing a cake. It gets hard when it dries (like those little decoration thingies you can buy in the store I think). That is why it is used for a lot of flowers and they will dry.

As far as colorings, what type of colorings are you using? Black and red are hard to get vibrant. I havent had any problems getting purple and green tho. The few tricks I know for black is to start with chocolate frosting, and for red to start from darker pink. Also which brand are you using? I also know they make dry colors (ie powder) but I have not worked with those and do not know if they will solve your dilemma.) Maybe someone with more experience has some more advice.

Fawnwittwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fawnwittwins Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 3

I am fairly new at this to.
I live in Cincinnati Oh and i got my coloring gels from Sugar Craft they are Wiltons brand.
The purple that I used was also made buy Wiltons and it turned to be very bitter tasting. I have never used any other colors but Black (I mixed a ton of colors togeher to get it) and purple and green.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%