Ganache Question??????

Decorating By debster Updated 29 Sep 2007 , 6:33am by KoryAK

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 11

I made the recipe from CC about the Ganache I it called for 12oz of choc to 1 cup of heavy cream with 1oz of sugar and 1 table spoon butter. I brought it to a boil like they said and after 4 hours it's the consistancy of a carmel sauce. The question is if I use this for a filling in a cake will it seep out of the sides or is this normal? Thanks to anyone and everyone who answers this.

Can you reheat it and add more choc to thicken it back up?
Just how thick is it supposed to be?

10 replies
debster Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 11

Anybody please? I have to do this cake tonight. Thanks

lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lou Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 11

it will get to be the consistancy of fudge when its completely set. To speed the process up you can put it in the fridge but you have to watch it because if it gets too hard you wont be able to spread it without reheating it. If you are patient and just leave it out...it will thicken up.

arwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arwa Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 11

I have never tried this recipe for ganache. I've always used equal portions of chocolate to cream and it works out amazing. u could add just a nob of butter for extra sheen. Never tried ganache with sugar. I suggest u make it again. Ganache is quite firm when set, surely wouldnt seep outside the sides....

HTH

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 11

Did you put it in the fridge to firm up? I'm no ganache expert, but with the ingredients and measurements you used, it doesn't sound like it should stay thin. Maybe someone else knows. If it doesn't firm up maybe you could whip it. ?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 11

Yes you can add more melted chocolate to it if you need to. Will the cake be chilled? It will set up a lot in the fridge... I always find it best to make the ganache a day ahead of time to let it set up all the way. What type of chocolate did you use? That can make a difference in consistency...

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 11

The recipe calls for refrigerating for one hour.

Have you refrigerated for four hours and it's still runny?

This isn't normal, your ganache should be firm.

Here's a comprehensive ganache thread:
(Master recipe, etc.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-497433-.html

HTH

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 11

ive always used just choc + cream and a splash of rum... it sets up nicely in the fridge, however, once its set you can whip it and it makes a yummy, lighter filling and easier to spread..

debster Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 10:07pm
post #9 of 11

Yes it's been in the refridge for 6 hours and is like carmel sauce. I used those chocolate wafer discs Milk Chocolate. I'll reheat it and add some more chocolate and put back in the refridge for another hour. HTH

debster Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 1:57am
post #10 of 11

I put in another cup of chocolate discs and it was fine, I noticed on the recipe it says to use double if you use white chocolate, I had to use 2-1 with the milk chocolate. Go figure more money, hahahahahaha

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 6:33am
post #11 of 11

Yes, dark chocolate tends to be 1:1, milk 2:1 and white 3:1, very general ratios there of course. Also the wafer disks are not the same thing as real chocolate (or couverture) so that may have been part of the problem. Usually those are only used when dipping (melted alone and desired to harden up) to avoid the hassle of tempering. Use "real" chocolate when flavor counts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%