Shiney Gumpaste Roses

Decorating By CShields Updated 28 Sep 2007 , 9:46pm by CShields

CShields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CShields Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 5

I think I goofed! I'm making about 30 gumpaste roses. The bride requested deep red roses. After completing the rose petal layering, with each layer gradually getting a little lighter per layer, I went to darken the edges of two roses with a deep color chalk. The roses were not red enough. So I called my local cake/cookie decorating store and asked if airbrushing the gumpaste would work without making them shiney. After getting an affirmative answer and adding the color, I hoped the roses would dry and still look dull not shiney. Well, they are dry and still shiney! I like the deep red color but I don't want the shiney look. Attached is a photo of the airbrushed roses and one un-airbrushed rose on the right. Can you suggest anything that I can do to make the deep red roses dull?
LL

4 replies
torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 5

maybe you can over dust again ..it should dull them and give them more depth.

CShields Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks, Trudi, but I tried to do that already with petal dust and then with artist chalk. It did not dull them nor did it give them more depth. Afterward, I resorted to trying a little contrasting gold luster dust. That did not solve the problem, but it did give an interesting effect. icon_cry.gif

kkhigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkhigh Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 5

Maybe the type of airbrush coloring would make the difference...like if you used regular airbrush color as opposed to red luster dust or something? just a thought.

CShields Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 5

Initiall,y I used Americolor Red Red Airbrush liquid in my airbrush cup. AFTER letting the roses dry, the following day, I first tried the chalk (Didn't help!), then I tried a couple of different shades of luster dust (Didn't help!, and finally I resorted to trying luster dust (No help there!).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%