Help My Gumpaste Decorations Are Still Soft!

Decorating By ljhow623 Updated 12 Apr 2008 , 2:05am by Boofycakes

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 7

Oh my, I'm in a delema I think. I doing a wedding cake for tomorrow and the gumpaste decorations that I made several weeks ago are still soft. They need to go onto the cake (BC frosting). Last time I put gumpaste decorations on the cake they flattened right out and melted into the frosting. How should I attach them and what's the earliest I can put them on the cake without them melting?

6 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 7

What are you using for gumpaste? They should be hard by now unless you live in a very humid place. Is it mixed with fondant at all? You can try placing them in the oven with just the light on to help them dry out faster or if you have a dehydrator that will work better.

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:06pm
post #3 of 7

I used berkels gum paste. They are painted with luster dust and steamed. Will they be okay in the oven like that?

4kidsrspecial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4kidsrspecial Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 7

I have had problems with that same brand of gumpaste. It doesn't dry very fast at all. Next time try adding some tylose powder to it to speed up the drying. About the oven, I tried that once with some babies that I made and it was a disaster. They just got softer and softer and I had to make them over. I didn't even have the temp up, I just turned the oven to warm and turned it off again. Good luck! If you have time and maybe you might make a couple of the important pieces over using fondant and tylose mixed together. It dries very quickly if you add enough tylose to the fondant,

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 7

If you put them in the oven DO NOT turn it on.. just put the light on and it will warm it up in there a tiny bit. I have never used bakels GP, but it sounds like that's the culprit. I make the Nic Lodge recipe.. SUPER easy and it works great. I can make flower petals and have them be dry enough to put together in an hour.. if that.

But the oven should help. Don't turn it on. I baked a GP bow once on accident.. icon_redface.gif It puffed up like mad. It didn't look too bad actually, but it was brittle.

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:42am
post #6 of 7

does anyone know if this oven trick will work to dry fondant pieces or they have to be gumpaste????

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 2:05am
post #7 of 7

What did you use to paint on your luster dust? If you used water, that would not help your situation at all. The water would soak in, making your GP take even longer to dry. If you did use water, next time try using vodka or lemon extract, something with high alcohol. Then your luster dust paint will dry quickly before it has time to soak into your GP. But like the others said, it could just be the brand of GP you're using. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%