Dawn's Buttercream Glaze Technique- Here It Is!!

Decorating By GHOST_USER_NAME Updated 16 Dec 2014 , 10:06pm by PattyCakes4All

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 6 Feb 2005 , 2:37am
post #1 of 19

I don't remember who (I think Diane) asked for my BC Glaze technique instructions. Well, I finally made a tutorial.

http://community.webshots.com/album/111071540UEhrpE

It starts toward the bottom of the page and is 7 pictures long.

Let me know how it works for you or if I need to tweak it some more.

Have fun!
Dawn

18 replies
Caligrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caligrl Posted 8 Feb 2005 , 6:27am
post #2 of 19

cali4dawn,
Your tutorials are great. They're very easy to understand and see. Keep up with your awesome work.
Amy

ceci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceci Posted 9 Feb 2005 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 19

I'm about to the glaze for the first time but don't understand if I have to turn over after filling, doesn't it stick to the board?? please help icon_redface.gif

PurplePetunia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurplePetunia Posted 9 Feb 2005 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 19

Wow! That's great! Thanks for taking the time to share your technique.
Just one question, what kind of corn syrup do you use? All I ever find in the grocery store is the golden corn syrup. Is this the one or do I look for something else? icon_confused.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 9 Feb 2005 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 19

No-No-No: Look at the pictures. You do this technique directly on the cake, so there is no flipping.

I use clear corn syrup. Karo brand is what I have at the moment, but I'm not faithful to any one brand.

I don't know how golden corn syrup would effect the coloring. It probably won't matter on dark colors. Mix up a teaspoon and see what happens.

PurplePetunia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurplePetunia Posted 10 Feb 2005 , 12:18am
post #6 of 19

Does anyone know where I can find clear corn syrup in Canada??

I've checked so many different grocery stores, but they all carry the golden corn syrup only. icon_sad.gif

sweeterbug1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeterbug1977 Posted 10 Feb 2005 , 12:28am
post #7 of 19

Thanks, cali4dawn, for this tutorial. I used your frozen buttercream tranfer tutorial and absolutely love using this technique. I am looking forward to using this tutorial to add another technique to my abilities. Thanks again,
Joanie

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 10 Feb 2005 , 12:36am
post #8 of 19

Make sure I get to see your cake!!

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 10 Feb 2005 , 1:07am
post #9 of 19

wow that is wonderful . I will practice this tomorrow for the cakes I am making on friday. Because when I did the buttercream transfer guitar LOL I was very lucky that if (literally) fell in the right spot when I flipped it. Wish me luck!! Keep up the good work and your website is interesting and fun to view!! I can NO wait I WILL learn alot from there!

ceci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceci Posted 10 Feb 2005 , 3:04am
post #10 of 19

please help me I still don't understand what you mean by patting the back of the transfer, don't you mess up the details? this is all new to me I usually just do the glaze but I really want to do the frozen one please help me icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 10 Feb 2005 , 5:49am
post #11 of 19

Calidawn,

Your tutorial was really good!! thumbs_up.gif It looks easier then doing color flow & royal icing. Is that what your intentions were, to make it easier then those two? Less work for sure! Does the transfer color get hard like color flow/royal? My mom's bday is this weekend & I was going to do a rooster transfer cake because she collects roosters & chickens. Now I think I will try it your way! Thanks a lot.
~Tina~

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 10 Feb 2005 , 6:09am
post #12 of 19

Tina- nope, no hard as a rock effect here! When it dried it is very much like the buttercream you will use to ice the cake (just a little sweeter from the syrup). Plus the colors will be the colors you want. They will not dull like color flow or royal. If you want to match your border with a color in your transfer, no problem! Just make enough for both and add your syrup to the transfer portion of the icing.

Honestly, no I wasn't even thinking about royal or color flow when I designed this. I don't like wither of those and so I never ever have made either. I just wanted a quick transfer method. I didn't even know it would crust until after I tried it. That was an added bonus!!

I came up with this kind of through a recipe ladycakes gave me. Hers sounded like a good recipe, but required mixing yet another batch of another type of icing. I thought that sounded too much like work. Corn Syrup was in her recipe. So I figured, "What the heck?" What if I simply added it to my already made buttercream? I tried it and it worked! I didn't have to make a different recipe after all.

I just had to share.

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 10 Feb 2005 , 2:20pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4dawn

I just had to share.

I just love when you share Dawn. You come up with some wonderful, creative helpful ideas and tricks.

thanks

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 11 Feb 2005 , 12:47am
post #14 of 19

Thanks for the reply Dawn! I will try it! Keep up the good advice! ~Tina~

audree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audree Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 7:18pm
post #15 of 19

Help! Why can't I find the glaze transfer instructions?

PattyCakes4All Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyCakes4All Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 6:25pm
post #16 of 19

AYes, I am looking for this tutorial as well and can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have it?

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 7:55pm
post #17 of 19

I only see webshot downloads but do not see any glaze directions either. Are we supposed to download the part in blue that says download for mac os now at bottom of page? 

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 1:44am
post #18 of 19

AThis thread is from 2005. I think OP removed tutorial.

PattyCakes4All Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyCakes4All Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 10:06pm
post #19 of 19

Darn.  Does anyone know the technique or where to find more information on it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%