Urgent- Calling Rice Krispy Treat Users....

Decorating By anku Updated 27 Sep 2007 , 9:14pm by anku

anku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anku Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 10

Well... I'm planning to mold Base,Tennis and Golf balls with Rice Krispy treats. This will be mine first time doing this.
Ok so, my questions and clarifications are:
1. Are Rice cakes and Rice Krispy treats the same?
2/ Is it better to make the recipe(shown on the ceral box) that to buy Krispy cakes to mold?
3. How do you go about doing it?????
I tried with the rice cakes...but they are so brittle....I can't get them in any kind of shape Am I suppose to mix it with anything???
Also, if I make my own Rice Krispy treats...do I have to wait till its cold or there's a special time(in terms of consistency) when I should start molding???/

Please help! I'm loosing it...as I have a cake to be delivered tommorow!!!

Thanks in advance.

9 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 10

Here's a pretty comprehensive thread on RKT's, molding, covering with fondant, recipe (with, without butter) and more:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-2376311-.html

HTH

Please see also:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-535973-.html

meancat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meancat Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 10

I just make normal ricecrispy treats w/ out butter, that way they dont get mushy. Just let them cool a bit in the pan and mold away. Make sure they are not hot or they will melt the fondant or buttercream.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 10

You may be able to use the rice krispie treats. Rice cakes and rice crispy treats are not the same. Rice cakes are not as krisp and would probably turn to mush if you tried to mix them with the melted marshmallow.

I may be totally wrong - you may be able to invent something totally new and unique. I'd say at least try the rice cakes and report back.

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 10

I just did my first one this week, it was the head of a ladybug...so round like you will be doing. I used the recipe on the box. I let them cool enough for me to handle it without burning myself then molded it into a ball, at first it fell apart (I did it while it was still a little to hot) I then redid it a few minute later and kept making sure it stayed round...(I wrapped the ball in aluminum foil so the ball would keep its shape and not fall apart, I did have a flat side where it was sitting on the counter but I needed that anyways to put on the cake. the following morning I wrapped it in fondant. It worked great!

mariannedavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariannedavis Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 10

I melt one 10 oz. bag of marshmallows in the microwave and stir in 6 cups of rice krispies cereal for molding my cake dummies.

Mold them into shape while the mixture still warm and then chill to set the shape. Don't use rice cakes thumbsdown.gif

Grease you hands and the mold with crisco to prevent sticking!

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 10

That is a great thread that JanH posted - definitely check it out before you start, it might answer questions you didn't know you had!!

In response to your specific questions, maybe I can help...

1. Are Rice cakes and Rice Krispy treats the same?
NO! Rice cakes are dry and made out of puffed rice I believe. Rice Krispie Treats are made out of marshmallows and Rice Krispies (or quivilant generic cereal)

2/ Is it better to make the recipe(shown on the ceral box) that to buy Krispy cakes to mold?
If you are buying the premade Kellogs Rice Krispie treats - I know some people use them to mould. I've only ever made my own, usually leaving the butter out of the recipe on the cereal box.

3. How do you go about doing it?????
Well, since the rice cakes aren't the same... makes sense why you can't mould them - the marshmallows allow the flexibility in moulding.

Also, if I make my own Rice Krispy treats...do I have to wait till its cold or there's a special time(in terms of consistency) when I should start molding???/

I usually let mine sit just long enough until I can handle them without burning myself. I then grease my hands and dig in. It is easy... I promise!

HTH!

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 8:41pm
post #8 of 10

Rice cakes are NOT the same.
I just melt some (1 cup ) marshmellows in a buttered bowl, then pour and stir in rice crispies( about 3 cups ) then with greased hands begin to shape the rice crispy treats. If you have a ball pan, use it for a mold.
You can also use a plastic christmas ornament. You know, the kind that snap together? Just be sure to grease your mold first, but do not add butter to the recipe.
Cover it with royal, then fondant.

anku Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 8:50pm
post #9 of 10

Wow! Thank you everybody! All the information and links given are great. I'm sooo confident now. Just going ahead and melting some marshmellows to maek my treats and sports ball icon_smile.gif

Thanks again.

anku Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 9:14pm
post #10 of 10

Ok..I have to tell you guys, I just molded the sports balls out of Rice Krispy's and they came out GREAT!!!
It was so simple...I just melted some marshmellows and mixed it with krispies! Cool! Thank you everybody coming to my rescue icon_smile.gif

Love ya guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%