Sam's Club Buttercream Icing

Decorating By Jmtreu98 Updated 18 Apr 2014 , 3:27pm by nancy1409

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 3:00pm
post #31 of 70

I opened mine with pliers. Worked great for me.

Woole2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Woole2 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 7:25pm
post #32 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaHuls

I happen to work at my local Wal Mart in the bakery as a cake decorator. Sam's Club icing is exactly the same as the icing used at Wal Mart. Someone else asked about Wal Mart selling their icing and the answer is no, the only reason I've been given is that we don't have a PLU# for it. Not sure what PLU stands for, but it's the label and barcode printed off to be scanned at the registers. We're not able to do anything like that that's not approved through home office.

I emailed Wal-marts home office and heres the generic letter they sent. I even called my local Wal-Mart and they said I had to go thru the home office. such the run around..

Dear Angela,

My name is Sherri. I am with the Walmart.com Customer Service Team.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

Thank you for your recent inquiry about our retail stores. Due to the
nature of your inquiry, you will have to contact a local Wal-Mart
store.
Unfortunately, we do not have any store information and I would be
unable to give you a definite answer to your question. I appreciate
your time and I'm sorry I couldn't be of further help to you.

You may contact Wal-Mart Stores? Customer Service directly, by clicking

on the link below, or copy and paste it into your browser.

http://walmartstores.com/GlobalWMStoresWeb/navigate.do?catg=221

You may also reach them by phone at 1-800-WALMART (1-800-925-627icon_cool.gif.

sjbeatty8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjbeatty8 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 7:37pm
post #33 of 70

With the Sam's frosting for those that use it... do you know approx how many cups of frosting you can get from it???

also does it have to be refridgerated???

Thanks!

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 7:59pm
post #34 of 70

I've heard that Costoc's sells really good icing as well. I thought that's what Thanh Thanh used? Either way, I'll be buying my first buckets this week as well! Can't wait!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 8:11pm
post #35 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by feverfixer

OK, I must be the only one who doesn't like the taste. I bought a big tub of it and I totally agree it is great to work with. It smooths really easily and pipes beautifully but...it still tastes like a Walmart cake. Sorry to put this in but I ended up throwing over 1/2 tub out as I just didn't like the taste. I guess I should have flavored it more, but I just used it as vanilla under fondant.
I usually use Tami's buttercream which is full of butter and whipping cream and is sooo yummy I could eat it by the spoonful.
Having said all that I agree it is very convenient and nice to work with. If it tasted better I would buy it all the time.
Diane

Hi feverfixer.. Could you Please share Tami's buttercream? icon_smile.gif I searchin in the recipe section here without success.. icon_sad.gif Thanks

girltrapped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girltrapped Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 8:11pm
post #36 of 70
Quote:

I guess I should have flavored it more, but I just used it as vanilla under fondant.
Diane

I agree with needing to add more flavor. I am on my third bucket now and my favorite is adding either lemon or creme boquet. Once I whip it up and flavor it a bit in the KA it's just like homemade.

arahsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arahsa Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 8:12pm
post #37 of 70

i HATE making frosting! I am so happy to learn that Sams sells it. I also have a Costco in my area so I will have to check and see which one sells it. SO

HOW DO YOU FLAVOR IT???? I have seen people say they flavored theres with almond, or Peppermint. What kind of flavoring do you use and how would you go about adding it?

girltrapped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girltrapped Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 8:19pm
post #38 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by arahsa

i HATE making frosting! I am so happy to learn that Sams sells it. I also have a Costco in my area so I will have to check and see which one sells it. SO

HOW DO YOU FLAVOR IT???? I have seen people say they flavored theres with almond, or Peppermint. What kind of flavoring do you use and how would you go about adding it?

I spoon as much as I need in my KA bowl and start by adding a couple teaspoons of whatever flavoring I am working with and go from there. I just add my flavoring to taste and mix it up.

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 8:20pm
post #39 of 70

I bought my first tub of it last week as well. I added vanilla extract and french vanilla coffee creamer to it and people loved it. This is going to be my standard PS BC from now on because I can't deal with the Crisco issues especially on weekends when I have quite a few cakes. And I'd rather save my butter for my SMBC. As long as people like it, I'm good with it! And it doesn't have to be refrigerated, I saw someone ask that. Only the whipped kind has to be kept cool.

tana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tana Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 8:26pm
post #40 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

Quote:

OK, I must be the only one who doesn't like the taste. I bought a big tub of it and I totally agree it is great to work with. It smooths really easily and pipes beautifully but...it still tastes like a Walmart cake. Sorry to put this in but I ended up throwing over 1/2 tub out as I just didn't like the taste. I guess I should have flavored it more, but I just used it as vanilla under fondant.
I usually use Tami's buttercream which is full of butter and whipping cream and is sooo yummy I could eat it by the spoonful.
Having said all that I agree it is very convenient and nice to work with. If it tasted better I would buy it all the time.
Diane

Hi feverfixer.. Could you Please share Tami's buttercream? icon_smile.gif I searchin in the recipe section here without success.. icon_sad.gif Thanks

Can u share please please....

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 8:29pm
post #41 of 70

I want Tami's recipe also. I can't find it in the recipes.

MsTonyasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsTonyasCakes Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 8:47pm
post #42 of 70

I've seen Tami's Buttercream recipe at baking911.com

arahsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arahsa Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 11:28pm
post #43 of 70

So you can use whatever liquid to flavor icon_confused.gif . I am just want to make sure that I will buy the right stuff. I know like Vanilla Extract But What else do people use? Im am just tring to get some new flavor ideas know! icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 11:34pm
post #44 of 70

I may just have to try Sam's BC. Would be a lot easier then making my own.

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 11:37pm
post #45 of 70

This recipe for Tami's buttercream sounds really good. Is it good to use for decorating? Does it crust well?

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 11:39pm
post #46 of 70

i used to be a bakery manager at sam's for 4 years. i just recently left the company about 6 months ago. walmart and sams did not use the same kind of icing when i was there. ours came from the dc and walmarts came from a company called brill. as of now, they might come from the same place...but i am not sure. sams BC is very good. when i buy it, i whipped up with simple syrup to get the holes out of...makes it light and fluffly. their colors are very bitter though. as far as getting the bucket opened, you can buy an actual bucket opener from the bakerskitchen.com

tkdnvymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tkdnvymom Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 12:39am
post #47 of 70

I just purchased the 28lb bucket of the white spread-n-fill but-r-creme frosting from sam's club. I paid $26.56 for it. On the label it says it is manufactured for the super walmart and sam's club. It doesn't need refrigeration, it said the temp. should be between 68 & 80 degrees.

CakesByLJ Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 1:44am
post #48 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by slpbjones

I've been reading this post and am very intrigued by the BC at Sam's as well. I've been using Tami's BC (it's posted on baking911.com, but I'll post it below)

slpbjones... thanks so much for posting this recipe.. I have been using Sam's and happy with it, but I always like to try new stuff.. icon_biggrin.gif
thanks again...

simplysweet72740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweet72740 Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 2:15am
post #49 of 70

Woole2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So since Sams Club is affiliated with Wal- Mart do you think its the same icing and also be able to purchase it?

Just to answer your question, probably not. I used to work at the wal-mart bakery and they wouldn't let us sell it!!! But the rules may be different in other areas!! Good Luck

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 2:18am
post #50 of 70

I am loving this post.

When I have wedding cakes, I spend one whole evening whipping up 5-10 batches of icing. The next day I decorate.

I will try this sams club or costco icing.

DO YOU THINK I COULD ADD CREAM CHEESE TO IT. Several people like the cream cheese/buttercream.

I thank you, my mixer thanks you!!

CakesByLJ Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 2:25am
post #51 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztomcat

DO YOU THINK I COULD ADD CREAM CHEESE TO IT. Several people like the cream cheese/buttercream.

aztomcat ~ I adore your avatar.. icon_lol.gif and, Sam's sells a cream cheese icing.. so now you have no mixing to do... icon_razz.gif

-jackie- Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-jackie- Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 6:53am
post #52 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmtreu98

Hi DoniB -

I just got back from Sam's. I am getting ready to try it.

One question I forgot to ask them, but I am sure you know. icon_biggrin.gif How do you store the unused portion. Do you refrigerate or do you leave in the original bucket and just leave at room temperature?

I see that the bucket I purchased has a long shelf life...It is good through February of 2008.

Thanks again,

Jeanene

you can leave it at room tempurature. i used to work at sams club, and that icing is really nice to work with. some times we would get bad batches of it though, so beware, ive had buckets that just TEAR up cake. and on humid days, its really nice to use and easy on ur hands. So have fun!

tana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tana Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 7:29pm
post #53 of 70

YAYYYYYY I just got my first tub of icing form sams club for only 17.88, for the whipped cream. Thats a bargain you can't beat.

Silviascakeart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Silviascakeart Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 7:41pm
post #54 of 70

Hi Folks,

I bought their frosting in July 07 and i have frosted 3 BD cakes and 1 wedding cake. I love it easy to use store it in pantry so easley smoothed w/ viva paper towel saves me so much time and tastes great. icon_smile.gif

allydav Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allydav Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 4:19am
post #55 of 70

I have never tried Sams frosting so when I was there today I asked for a sample. They were happy to let me try some. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Deana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deana Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 5:15am
post #56 of 70

I bought a tub... used a squirt on my sample cakes for a tasting... I personally didn't like the taste (I think it's nasty!) but everyone here gives it such rave reviews, I thought it was just me...

anyway -the bride to be ewww'd and said it tasted just like the nasty stuff she used at the Food Lion she used to work at and if she wanted a cake with grocery store icing, she'd go there... I had to do alot of back peddling.. took her another sample of MY bc.. (she signed the contract so all wasn't lost)

I promptly took back the big ol tub to Sams Club and they gave me a full refund....

add me to the not a fan list!

Sonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sonya Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 7:40pm
post #57 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Oh forgot to add....if you buy it try and get them to open it for you..just loosen because you need a special tool to do that and I have NO clue where to get them icon_sad.gif

The lady in the bakery dept. said that was a big no no but she did it and was very kind to me.

Walmart, where I live has been quite nasty when asked about their icing. I asked the lady once if she was having a bad day LOL. She looked at me and said "NOOOO WHY /?????????" I said because you ARENT being very kind to your customers. I just asked a question and you don't have to be rude. She walked away mumbling something....but I can recall thinking I heard her call me a rather disgusting name icon_sad.gif . I hope this isn't everywhere icon_sad.gif

For those of you wondering about where to get the "tool" to open the bucket. You can order a plastic pail opener from www.decopac.com If you have a tax id number you can set up an account online with them but if you dont have a tax id number you can call them and set up a non licenced account where you can order supplies like cake drums, boards, coloring, etc. I just got off the phone setting up my non licenced account and I asked how much the bucket opener was and it is only $6.00. It is a plastic one and the product number is 9792. Also the tips I checked the price on was only .50 cent each. If you order over $75.00 you also get free shipping. I hope this info helps!

~Sonya icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:09am
post #58 of 70

I think walmart frosting is nasty tasting. We purchased some cupcakes, just to get the plastic rings on top (hahaha) the cakes was not bad but the frosting made me gag.....no one would eat them!....also someone got me a cake recently..I took the frosting off and replaced it with my own home made.
Also I think the walmarts are filled with rude pepple.....I think they must not treat them very well.thats what I am thinking anyway...they need to get a new job. I hate going there anymore. They have made it so no one is left in business and ya have to go there now! A shame really.

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:28am
post #59 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniB

*grin* Did you try it with the Melvira Method of smoothing??? Doesn't that just ROCK!?!?!?!? It looks so smooth and elegant... I'm with you! Never going back to homemade unless I absolutely have to. icon_smile.gif

After all, I'm really a decorator, not an icing maker. Isn't that sad??? The baking and icing-making are necessities for the final product, but the decorating is what I love. icon_smile.gif

Have fun with your icing!!!!

What's the "melvira method"?

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:28am
post #60 of 70

I cannot bear the thought of using bought BC on my cakes, I guess it is all a matter of preference & what tastes good to you & your customers. I would probably change my mind if I ever tasted one that appealed to me. I am sure there must be some good ones, I just haven't found them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%