Reduced Sugar

Baking By chrystal_86 Updated 28 Sep 2007 , 5:17am by sweetness_221

chrystal_86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrystal_86 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 3

I have a neighbor whos diabetic..he is allowed to have some sugar now because he was diagnosed with canser and they just feel fortunate when he eats.Hes been asking for a cake.I am new to cake decoating and I know how to make mmf and butter cream...both seem high in sugar to me.So if anyone has a fondant recipie lower in sugar or a buttercream recipie lower in sugar it would really help.I could also use a recipie for the cake but did notice last night that they make cake mixes with reduced sugar so if I cant find a good homeade recipie I can use that.Thanks!

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 3

I would make him something really good with some adjustments.

Make your best recipe for cake in the flavor he likes. replace 1/2 of the sugar with Splenda or other sugar replacement. Use slightly less than 1/2 of the replacement-it usually TASTES too sweet if you use all of it. I replace 1/2 cup sugar with about 1/3 cup sweetner.

Then, instead of icing, just use a light drizzle of something. It will taste better, be closer to the REAL thing.

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 5:17am
post #3 of 3

If you wanted to use a cake mix Pilsbury has a reduced sugar cake mix and frosting. They have yellow and chocolate mixes and white and chocolate frosting. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%