Decorating By KathysCC Updated 28 Sep 2007 , 9:19pm by confectionaryperfection

dustys1sis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dustys1sis Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 10:25pm
post #61 of 125

Thanks again tcturtleshell

kathrynscakesncookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathrynscakesncookies Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 10:42pm
post #62 of 125

I have a few silly questions. if i sent some pictures of someone else's to a cleint to get ideas for her cake(i let her know they weren't mine!). Was that ok? And if I do that to give other cleints ideas(if i let them know it's someone ele's and not mine is that ok?)

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 10:50pm
post #63 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynscakesncookies

I have a few silly questions. if i sent some pictures of someone else's to a cleint to get ideas for her cake(i let her know they weren't mine!). Was that ok? And if I do that to give other cleints ideas(if i let them know it's someone ele's and not mine is that ok?)

I don't know about anyone else but I wouldn't care if you did. icon_lol.gif My cakes aren't good enough for anyone to want to pass on to a client, though. icon_lol.gif

Someone stated that she hadn't claimed she did the cakes but if you click on "view photo list" it says "created by Madison Cakes." That, to me, means she is claiming them as her own. This is WRONG.......SO VERY WRONG!! icon_evil.gif

Should anyone contact her, please let us know what she says. Sorry, I'm nosey........... icon_rolleyes.gif

Diane

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 10:50pm
post #64 of 125

IMHO I would think as long as you are not putting someone's elses cakes on your website without their permission it's ok. Showing pictures & using them as your own are two totally different things. This lady & other folks are using our cake pictures as their own. No cool. I think that is illegal.

BTW... I just called the # on the website. No one answered but there was an answering machine. I left a message saying, "My name is blaablaablaa, I'm TCTurtleshell from Cake Central. You have a cake on your website that is mine & you did not ask my permission to use it. I also said please call me back & I left my #." I think I said I want the picture taken off the website. I can't remember LOL! This really makes me mad. Now I know why others got mad in the past. That is plan out stealing in my book. Hopefully she'll contract me. I'll call again tomorrow. If she doesn't return my call I'll contact AT&T, that's who the website it through. icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 10:52pm
post #65 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynscakesncookies

You'll probably receive varying opinions on this, with some preferring that you always ask permission first, and others thinking it's ok since you clearly stated that they were for "ideas" only and you let your client know they were other peoples' designs...but either way I do think that is very different than publicly posting those pics on a web page for anyone to see. Even if those people HAD stated "these are not my cakes, these are just ideas," they do not own the rights to publish those photographs.

You "showed" pictures through private communication, you did not "publish" pictures. What you did is, IMHO, more akin to showing people tear sheets from a magazine. Theoretically you could have linked people to the URLs here but that's pretty complicated since they'd have to register and log in to view them...if I were a customer I wouldn't want to have to jump through those kind of hoops just to get some ideas for a cake.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 10:53pm
post #66 of 125

Hey, two shells were typing at the same time icon_wink.gif

confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 11:06pm
post #67 of 125

Hello, as one decorator to another i am writing to inform you that you have caused an uproar concerning posting other decorators cakes as your own on your site. Please promptly remove my cake (by confectionary perfection) from your site. I have contacted the attorney general with respect to copyright infringement and he has advised me to inform you that if it is not removed we will be pressing charges.

On a side note, i understand when decorators are just starting out or have not had the chance to build their portfolios they are tempted to use others pictures to show potential customers samples, however, as a decorator of over 10 years it is known to be a huge insult to the original artist. Some decorators will allow their work to be posted on sites if a note is posted stating who made the cake, however that is am issue that needs to be addressed with each cake designer. If you want to build your portfolio then i suggest that you purchase a few dummy cake forms and using royal icing make some cakes and take pictures, it is cheap and easy to do. Please feel free to email me if you need any pointers on cake design ect.. as i am always eager to assist up and coming decorators.

Terry Angelucci icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 11:13pm
post #68 of 125

Wow.. again.. non of mine were stolen.. **sniff sniff** icon_wink.gif

But I find it even more hilarious that she has one from Scott Wolley's site in her front page.. (the one on the bottom right with the beautious flowers and dome top).

That takes some cahones. I'd be mad if mine was up on someone's site. I keep meaning to watermark my pics.. it stinks though that we lose our descriptions and key words if we edit our pictures or I'd do it in a heartbeat.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 11:14pm
post #69 of 125

I'm glad to know that a couple of you who have had your pictures taken have made contact. I think this is sufficient to let her know. I think you also may want to let her know that we realize that most of her pictures are not her own and she should remove all of them.

To answer an earlier post. This person HAS NOT been identified here on CC and even if I did know who she was I would not post that information. We were doing some joking speculation earlier. All the membernames you see listed on this post are people whose cake pictures have been used by this person. I made an assumption that Madison cakes is a CC member since we have found that most of her cake pictures are from this site.

Just a question. Is it posted anywhere in the rules of this site or when you sign up that the pictures you see here are not to be copied or reproduced without the owner's permission. If not that rule should be a requirement of signing up. I don't remember seeing that. Maybe I did and forgot it but it should be posted prominently somewhere here.

YanaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YanaK Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 11:19pm
post #70 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Wow, you would think the ones on her front page at least would be her own.

Actually the bottom right on the front page is one of Scott Clark Woolley. She went quite high! He is my favorite, cannot miss his cakes icon_biggrin.gif

Oops, I didn't get to the end of the thread before posting and jkalman said the same thing icon_smile.gif

KathysCC Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 11:24pm
post #71 of 125

To answer the question of how many cakes have been identified. Of the 4 on her front page. All but the bib belong to someone else.

In her "portfolio" of 57 pictures, all but 19 have been identified as being CC pictures.

In album 1 these numbers have not been identified:

In album 2:

on numbers 13 and 21 in the 2nd album, I know I've seen these on cake central...just can't remember who they belong to.

KathysCC Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 11:26pm
post #72 of 125

And thanks confectionary perfection for a very professional sounding email. I think you did the right thing and said the right thing. You are representing all of us here whether our pictures were taken or not.

tcturtleshell Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 11:32pm
post #73 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Hey, two shells were typing at the same time icon_wink.gif

LOL!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 11:36pm
post #74 of 125

Well, she has to be a member to look at the galleries. If you aren't logged in, a message comes up saying you don't have permission to view the pic.

The owner of the website is named if you explore the page.

A note to those of you watermarking your pictures. You can use any photo editing software to do so, but I would suggest that you make it large enough to go across the majority of your picture. If you are only putting a small watermark on it, it can be removed or covered up using Photoshop.

I only have one picture in my photos and I doubt that anyone would want to "steal" it, but from now on, I'm watermarking my stuff.

I make photo announcements and holiday cards and I watermark all of my samples that I've made.

I'm sure this person knows what they are doing is wrong.

tcturtleshell Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 11:46pm
post #75 of 125

Here's what I wrote to her. I wasn't as nice.
LOL! icon_smile.gif

Dear Madison Cakes,

My name is Tina C. I am TCTurtleshell on Cake Central. Today I was contacted by several members of Cake Central that my cake was being used by you as "your cake" on your website. I took a look & sure enough it IS MY CAKE! I am very surprised & upset that you would steal someone's cakes & use them as your own. You DO NOT have my permission to use any of my cakes. That's why I watermark them to detour people from using my cakes. If you are indeed a member of the cake community then you know that that is illegal to use someone else's cakes on any website or any other use without permission. Please delete my cake from your photo album.

Also I see several other cakes that where done by Cake Central members. I am contacting them. I'm sure they will be contacting you too. I am sure you will handle this matter immediately.

Sincerely,
Tina C.
AKA ~TC Cakes~/ ~Turtleshell~

If I misspelled anything OOPS!! I can't spell LOL icon_smile.gif

tcturtleshell Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 11:48pm
post #76 of 125

I will be making my watermark larger from now on! Thanks!!

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 11:58pm
post #77 of 125
confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 12:08am
post #78 of 125

Ok, this is all really bizarre because I'm moving to Richmond, KY this weekend.

I would think that you could file a complaint with the BBB and see what they suggest as far as "legal" action. Or threaten to expose her publically (ie news media...IDK icon_confused.gif ).

Anyway, it's a "small" town and word can travel fast that when things aren't on the up and up so she may change her evil ways once she realizes you all mean business!

And since I'll be at ground zero, if there's some way I can be of assistance let me know.

Elfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfin Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 12:08am
post #79 of 125

It's unbelieveable that she would have the sheer guts to use so many photos without authorization...

I just wanted to point out that on the bottom of her website is a link to click "Report Inappropriate Content". You could report her to the website host (AT&T) if she isn't responsive to the other contacts.

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 12:09am
post #80 of 125

Another suggestion too, is on her website down the bottom of the page is "Report inappropriate content" which may report her to the website hosting company.
For the CC'ers who have had their photos used it may be worth reporting her to the website company as in the past several people refused to remove their illegal pics.

tcturtleshell Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 12:10am
post #81 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfin

It's unbelieveable that she would have the sheer guts to use so many photos without authorization...

I just wanted to point out that on the bottom of her website is a link to click "Report Inappropriate Content". You could report her to the website host (AT&T) if she isn't responsive to the other contacts.

I was going to do that if I don't hear from her. thumbs_up.gif

cakescraps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakescraps Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 12:10am
post #82 of 125

Someone noted that all of the cakes on the front page except the bib cake had been identified as someone else's. I find that interesting, since the bib cake is definitely a different quality than all of the others. A coincidence??...........

kathrynscakesncookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathrynscakesncookies Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 12:42am
post #83 of 125

I posted some questions earlier regarding this subject...Just to let you know, the pictures I sent to a client (thru email) I saved on my computer but once I sent them to her I deleted them! She's a close friend and I had told her about finding CC and how GREAT it was! She knew from the start that the cakes weren't ones I had made, and they were just to let her get ideas! I have no intention of ever having a website(unless I get ALOT of business) and they will all be MINE(and watermarked)! If I ever show anyone pictures for IDEAS ONLY it will only be in privite and they will know from the start they are not cakes I have made! Just letting everyone know! I'm excited to get a picture of the cake (that I got my ideas from here) posted. Plus I will make sure to ask permisson first before I do the above! I have the greatest respect for all of you CC experts! and I hope I get good enough one day that someone would want to steal my pics. icon_wink.gif

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 12:54am
post #84 of 125
briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:02am
post #86 of 125

I found this one too:

by angiescakes: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_303003.html

KathysCC Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:12am
post #87 of 125

Thanks briannastreats. That one has been driving me crazy because I knew I had seen it here.

Only 16 more to identify. Here's an update.
On her first album these are unidentified.

On the second album:

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:13am
post #88 of 125

I collect lots of photos of cakes via magz's and the internet. I have my favorites in a 3-ring binder that is CLEARLY marked "Cakes NOT made by CIS". When I hand a bride this book, I always tell her they are cakes not made by me.....they are for ideas. Each cake is printed on a sheet with the website address printed on the page, plus a "Cake Created By....." and the name of the decorator.

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:14am
post #89 of 125

check out www.cakesfun.com, might find more cakes from cc .

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:30am
post #90 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpanda

Hopefully, this is just a case of somebody being ignorant of the law (or ethics), and that she will replace the misleading pictures with some of her own.

I admit I haven't read all the pages in this thread yet, but in case nobody has pointed it out yet, the offender isn't breaking any laws if the photos aren't copyrighted. EVEN IF SHE SAYS THEY ARE HER PHOTOS.

And Heath/Jackie can probably answer this better than I can, but as far as I know, there are no implied copyrights by posting here at CC.

I AM NOT DEFENDING THE OFFENDER IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. Just making an observation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%