Marshmallow Fondant

Decorating By Irishnurse Updated 10 Oct 2007 , 4:16am by dandelion56602

Irishnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irishnurse Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 2:02am
post #1 of 12

Help? I made MMF about four times for the same cake and it seemed way toooo dry. icon_cry.gif It cracked and then when I added some shortening thinking that would help soften it , what a mess icon_mad.gif . I had to then repair the cake multiple times and cover it with foundant I had left from Course three.Any suggestions?[/center]

11 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 6:15am
post #2 of 12

Welcome to cake central. It sounds like you are adding too much powdered sugar. Once you start kneading the dough, only add enough sugar so the dough isn't sticky. If you add all the sugar listed in the recipe, it will be too dry.

You could try spreading it out and sprinkling a few drops of water over the mass and knead it some more.

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 12

There's a thread around here somewhere that was very helpful to me the first time I made MMF. She gave very detailed instructions on how she did it, and I followed those instructions and my MMF came out perfect. I will try to post this link for the thread:

Perfect MMF.. the easy and no mess way!

If it doesn't work, that's the name of the thread.

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 12

did you try microwaving it slightly before use?

Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 12

I agree with the too much powedered sugar, my recipe calls for 8 cups but I found if I only use 7 it comes out perfect each time.

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 1:42am
post #6 of 12

Try the recipe here on CC (sorry, can't remember who posted it) - for the alternative marshmallow fondant recipe -- it has some crisco in it. It works perfect (though you do have to let it rest overnite like recipe says).

dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 1:49am
post #7 of 12

Try this post, I just made some for the first time yesterday and it worked very well for me. It only dried out when I left it out for too long. I did have to microwave for 10-15 seconds before it was pliable for use. HTH
http://forum.cakecentral.com/need-help-with-easy-mmf-ftopicp-4876303.html#4876303

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 1:53am
post #8 of 12

I add a tablespoon of glycerine to the melted marshmallows and it comes out beautifully every time!

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 2:06am
post #9 of 12

I agree with the shortening addition and the microwave for a few seconds. It helps with softening it up. icon_smile.gif

Irishnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irishnurse Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 1:13am
post #10 of 12

Thank Thank thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I'm still experimenting but finding less sugar to be better. Thank for repling to my problems .

Zahrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahrah Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 1:42am
post #11 of 12

It really does take time just working with it to get to know it. It is a medium all it's own, even in the fondant world. Here's what I do and it takes about 10 minutes start to finish:

* Sift entire bag of powdered sugar into a LARGE bowl, make a well.
* Melt 1 bag of mini marshmallows with 2-4 Tbsp water in separate greased bowl for 2 minutes.
* Remove and stir in 1/2tsp salt, 2tsp flavor, 2Tbsp light corn syrup and any color you want. Stir, stir, stir. I believe that most of the air bubbles in mmf is caused by the original air from the marshmallow.
* Sprinkle in 2 cups of the ps from the bowl, 1/2 cup at a time and stirring after each. This thickens up the melted marshmallows enough that I then pour it into the bowl with sifted PS in it. I stir - actually knead the mass with my spoon. I scoop under it and fold it on top of itself, quarter turn of the bowl and do the same.
* Once it appears to no longer absorbs any more ps, I take it out of the bowl and onto a greased surface. I knead the remaining sugar left on it with greased hand, adding shortening to my hands as I go. Once it becomes smooth and pliable, I give it one more good coating of shortening and wrap, wrap, wrap!

The first time I made it, I think I made the mistake of using it as soon as I made it. It really needs to rest over night, or at least several hours.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 4:16am
post #12 of 12

Here's a site I used. It was easy & there are a lot of tips. I love that there's a smaller recipe on it too!

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=77236

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%