Do You Feel Sleep Deprived? (Or Is It Just Me!)

Decorating By elvis Updated 1 Dec 2006 , 2:00pm by cashley

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 33

I can't remember the last time that I went to bed before 11:30 or 12:00. and sometimes its even later. I'm usually a night time decorator out of necessity--and I hate to go to bed before my cake for the next day is decorated.

Are you all able to say "I'm going to bed by ___ no matter what", or are you burning the midnight oil too?

32 replies
pinknlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinknlee Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 33

I am always burning the midnight oil. I am always tired in the morning. I wish I could figure it out. It always seems like time skips between 9:00 and 12:00 pm.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 33

I understand how you feel completely. I feel like I have been run over by a truck!

I have been baking for Thanksgiving, then several others and have another cake for Friday that I haven't even started. I also took on a seasonal job at the mall managing a little store and have been working like a dog trying to get this thing open. Now I find out I have no empolyees so until I hire and train people I have to work from 8am to 10pm there every day!

I don't get to bed until around 2am as it is and get up to take my kids to school.

I think I just need a long vacation for my Christmas present. Somewhere I can lie on the beach and sleep for about a week.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 33

PLLEEEEESSSE! I work a few hours a week, am a SAHM to a 4 year old who has pre-school 3 days a week and speech therapy 1 day a week, work on cakes, and have this house to run.....I am lucky to be in bed before 12:00! And then there is this CC addiction icon_mad.gif

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 33

yes! an uninterrupted week of sleep at the beach sounds awesome! the worst was when i tried to wipe off what i thought was make-up from under my eyes and it was actually just dark circles!! thumbsdown.gif

i know what you mean pinknlee- i think i must start working really slowly after about 10:30 b/c i'm always shocked to look up what seems like a few minutes later and see that 2 hours have passed!

cakegurl06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegurl06 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 33

Oh you poor thing Payyicakesnc!

I am tired all the time too and relying on soda to keep me going - bad.

I agree, the hours between 9pm and midnight just seem to fly by in the space of what seems like 30 minutes! I work a regular job full time and go to school, so when I do cakes it is on the weekends or at night and I always poop out half way through and end up rushing just to get it done so I can get some sleep! There's so many cakes I want to try, too, but don't have the time!

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 33

I'm a night owl. I can't get to sleep even if I try until 1am or 2am. Then I find I wake up at least once durning the night and get up to go to the bathroom and of course since I'm up I might as well log on to CC and see what I missed.

Morning comes and I'm so tired. I always think I will make it to be early and then come around 9:00pm I find I start to wake up again and it starts all over.

Cake decorating is like a drug. I find I'm thinking about it, reading about it, learning about it, trying new things out, shopping for it and talking about it. I can't stop!

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 33

I've been baking for 2 solid days. I have a cake for 300 people, 2 birthday cakes, and a baby shower cake, all due by the weekend. It is weeks like this I wish I had a big ole commercial oven. I have cake every where! Good thing I have 2 refrigerators down stairs in the basement. I like to work at night also.My 4 kids keep me pretty during the day!

kbenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbenz Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:36pm
post #9 of 33

I feel for you too.... I have switched most of my work around to the early a.m. hours..... I generally get up around 5:00 in the morning, and mix frosting, bake cakes, BEFORE I get my son out of bed and get him ready to go to school and then go to my full time job for the day. I really enjoy baking, but I think by the end of December I will need some serious sleep... I have 5 cakes and many cookies to do in the next 7 days!!! icon_confused.gif

Diesel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Diesel Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:37pm
post #10 of 33

I have felt sleep deprived for a while now. I work full-time so I have to do all my cakes an cookies at night time after my two toddlers go to bed and I work out. It really is amazing how fast the time goes between 9 - 12, like pnknlee said.

I'm actually going to take a day off of work next week, luckily I have 4 weeks of vacation, to do 5 dozen Holiday cookies for my MIL and a baby shower cake both due on Sunday.

The only thing that keeps me going when I feel really tired is that I'm having fun doing it and what I do really seems to make people smile!

Bradymom6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bradymom6 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:38pm
post #11 of 33

I can so relate. I have done 4 cakes since Friday and have not gotten to bed before 1:00 am on any of those days. The last one I did I finished at 2:30 this morning. Then I had to come to work this morning. Needless to say I was late as there was no way I was going to be able to get up and be at work by 8:00 am. Plus I just finished my Wilton Course 2 last night at 9:00pm. I start Course 3 next Tuesday.
Bradymom

minchan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minchan Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:40pm
post #12 of 33

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one! I've been going to bed at 3am most nights. Night time, after my kids are in bed, is the best time to decorate cakes uninterrupted. Then, there's the cleaning up afterwards...

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:46pm
post #13 of 33

I thought I was alone.

And it's all CC's fault! icon_lol.gif

I can't go to sleep before 10:30 because I'm on here reading the posts!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:49pm
post #14 of 33

sleep? oh yeah, that's what i do when i'm sitting in front of the computer....a crick in the neck and keyboard impressions on my forehead!!!

what i don't get....is that at work, i can decorate as many as 90+ or - a few cakes in one shift(if i'm uninterrupted!) but let me get more than one requested cake at home per week and I freak...not like really freak but more like panic for time....i just don't get it.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:50pm
post #15 of 33

I KNOW I'm sleep deprived - I have sleep apnea - that means I wake up several times a night and don't know it - so I never get that deep REM sleep. Problem - I'm also a night owl.... and I have to be to work by 8:00am.... PROBLEMS! I barely made it to work today - I start to fall asleep driving - PROBLEM! I'm trying to get it under control but it's crazy. And now I have to fight with my insurance company about not paying something - UGH! I feel for ya! I think all of America could use a SIESTA! (a 2 hour break during the day where you go home and sleep!)

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 6:02pm
post #16 of 33

I'm glad I'm not the only one. lol

By the way, JoanneK, I can so relate to what you wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

I'm a night owl. I can't get to sleep even if I try until 1am or 2am. Then I find I wake up at least once durning the night and get up to go to the bathroom and of course since I'm up I might as well log on to CC and see what I missed.

Morning comes and I'm so tired. I always think I will make it to be early and then come around 9:00pm I find I start to wake up again and it starts all over.

Cake decorating is like a drug. I find I'm thinking about it, reading about it, learning about it, trying new things out, shopping for it and talking about it. I can't stop!

I too am a nightowl and lately it seems I can't get enough about cake decorating. Last night I went online and promised myself (and hubby) that I wouldn't be on too late...well, when his alarm clock went off at 5 am, I sort of knew I did it again. So when you're up that late, you might as well stay up, right? lol

P.S. I got in bed at 6 am.

riveritaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riveritaly Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 6:57pm
post #17 of 33

I am sleep deprived as well! I am a mommy that works full time too. I agree that between 8 and midnight is the best time to get any cake decorating done, after my 18 month old is fast asleep. It's not just the cake decorating though, but like Minichan said, all the stinking CLEANUP afterwards! icon_cry.gif I wonder if anyone has gotten the cleanup part down to a science?

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 7:27pm
post #18 of 33

Here's my solution to Cleanup: Let my mom do it! icon_smile.gif or wait and do it the next day icon_smile.gif ha ha - I know that doesn't usually work. Sometimes though if I'm just getting out the same stuff the next day I'll just leave it out and come back to it tomorrow!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 11:26pm
post #19 of 33

There's the other option: hire a maid. ha ha icon_lol.gif

riveritaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riveritaly Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 5:48am
post #20 of 33

If DH either let my mom live with us, or spend the money on a maid, my life would be set! icon_biggrin.gif Until then, there's many nights like these - getting ready the night before for Wilton II class, clean-up, then check CC at 11:45 pm just before bed! It's an endless, tiring, but all together enjoyable cycle! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 3:12pm
post #21 of 33

Getting to bed early meant turning in at about 11:30 or midnight. Then I'd have to get up at 4:45 a.m. to get ready for my day job, where I'd spend my lunch hour going to Sam's to pick up supplies. What got me thru it was something I heard on the food channel: "If you're going to start your own business, don't expect to get any sleep!" So when I was feelin' pitiful and thinking I was a big baby and a failure, I'd recall this sage piece of advice and tell myself, "Hey! It's ok! You're normal!" thumbs_up.gif

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 3:32pm
post #22 of 33

I haven't gotten to sleep much before 1:30 am all this week, and looking at least at another 2 nights. I committed to do a display table at a church function on Saturday to market my cakes and cookies...so I am frantically making all the sugar cookies I can. My dear fiancee' said, "it's only Tuesday, you have plenty of time!" I looked at him and said, "Yes, but there is only one of me!" Plus I had a cookie bouquet due this morning!

I work full-time (40-60 hours), single mom, attempting to plan a wedding...just got engaged, and I have 5 months to plan that, Christmas stuff, and on top of that, my parent's 45th wedding anniversary is the weekend after my wedding, and we're throwing them a party! Am I insane or what?!?

Right now I am functioning on about 5 hours of sleep, and just a little on the testy side...poor Chris, I've gotten pretty cranky with him! Oh well...might get some rest on the honeymoon! icon_wink.gif

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 3:41pm
post #23 of 33

All I can say is "YES"

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 3:43pm
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by charman

....Am I insane or what?!?

Yes. Yes you are. But that makes you just like all of the rest of us!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

destini377 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destini377 Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 3:58pm
post #25 of 33

Yep, I sleep-walk through most of my days lately - SAHM, three kiddos (4yr, 2yr, 4mos.), homeschool, trying desperately to keep up with the house, dr. appts, DH schedule and have some me-time (i.e. cake time, quiet shhh.gif , etc.).

Oops, and try not to forget to feed the dogs! icon_twisted.gif I am a complete zombie by 7pm but then its dinner with DH, baths and bed for kids, pick up the house, trip over large pile of laundry, fall asleep on couch... hmmm, better quit while I'm ahead icon_wink.gif

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 2:47am
post #26 of 33

Have you ever been this tired?

I thought this was cute.http://www.csl.sri.com/users/mwfong/Humor/This_Tired/

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 2:58am
post #27 of 33

Big Time Tired!! Working fulltime and baking, baking, baking...I love it and that is why I stay up but work is so hectic and I feel tired as can be..tonight without fail I am going to be in bed in another 1/2 hour..
I haven't been to bed before midnight even once this last 2 weeks.

Ohara...cute pics!!

Yawn...

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 3:00am
post #28 of 33

I feel the same 9-12 is like 30 minutes. Paradise isn't always Paradise, you still have to work! And unfortunatly for me....I am at the beach and it only makes it harder cuz it's so damn hot!! I have the pacific ocean as my front yard but I hardly ever see it.

If someone wants to bake cakes with me..come on down www.fenixhotel.com

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 4:49am
post #29 of 33

Seagoat - you have email through your website!

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 6:07am
post #30 of 33

I have always been a night owl. I also am tired. My Dh works overnights and I have a hard time sleeping without him. I have 2 kids 8yrs apart. Oldest will be 16 soon. DD just turned 8 and has problems in reading and is in special classes to help her get ahead. So every evening we are reading and working on spelling words. So we study about 2 to 3 hours a night. And she is in dance one night a week(thur.) so those nights we don't get as much studying in. She is in brownies but that is only once a month. So after Dh goes to work at 10:45 and DD finally gets to bed. It is work on cake time for me (or CC time if I don't have any cakes i need done) I get to bed around 3 or 4am. I get up at 7 to get kids out the door. Dh gets home at 7 we talk for awhile then I go back to bed for a few hours. And start the day over again. I just did a show last night. So I had been up baking for the last few days. Getting about an 1 or 2 of sleep. So today I over slept after getting kids of to school. Instead of getting up at 10am I woke up at 2pm. I am still tired and should go to bed but gotta feed my addiction icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%