Anyone With Easy Cupcake Ideas?

Decorating By Iheartcake Updated 27 Sep 2007 , 7:11pm by Iheartcake

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 17

A friend of my sister's has a neice who found a Wilton book from a few years ago and fell in Love with it! thumbs_up.gif She just thought it was magical that people could actually create such things with cake! So she's been begging to learn how to decorate. So Jen (sister's friend) has been calling around and the problem is, the neice is only 8, so no one will allow a child that young attend. thumbsdown.gif (which I can understand, for the Wilton courses.. they move at a fairly fast pace and it might be hard for a child to keep up). Anyway.. so I offered to show her some basics. I'm thinking I'll start with a few cupcake ideas. Something a bit simple but still will Wow her. Anyone have any suggestions or pics? Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

16 replies
ShaunaCann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaunaCann Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 17

I think the rose cupcakes are so beautiful and super, super easy. The ones that people have been using in the rose cupcake bouquets. They will definitely wow her.

Melonie1005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melonie1005 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 17

This idea might not wow her, but my son who is six likes to make the monster head cupcakes. I let him use the grass tip on them and tip 5 I think for the eyes and teeth. He is getting really good and has a great time.

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 17

I would agree with the flower cupcakes, but also I saw a turtle cupcake in the pics today that would probably be lots of fun with the tootsie roll head & legs!. Also the cupcake with the ghost covered in fondant! Sounds like fun too me!
Linda

sirius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sirius Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 17

i think any flower is beautiful and simple as well. if you have any patchwork cutters these are also quick and easy. you can also cut out simple petals from fondant and vein them for quick flowers. i've attached a pic with all of these ideas shown.

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 17

I made some bear cupcakes that were pretty easy! (they're in my pic's..haven't figured out out to post a link yet). My son is 10 and he really liked them!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:20pm
post #7 of 17

OMG! How nice of you! That is such a cute idea...I definitely thing the rose cupcakes and the monster cupcakes are good to do! That's actually a lot to accomplish...you could also just teach her the correct way to pipe stars and borders right on the cupcake. That way she is learning those techniques on a smaller surface and not overwhelmed by a large cake.

Good luck and have fun!

sirius Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 17

sorry, my pic didn't attach - will try again.... icon_smile.gif

sirius Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 17

here's the attachment. hope this works!!

sirius Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:25pm
post #10 of 17

i give up....icon_sad.gif just look in my pics at the one with the cupcake cats, bats & flowers. sorry about that - i can't understand why it won't attach.

Iheartcake Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 10:15am
post #11 of 17

Thanks for all the ideas everyone! Definately gives me a starting point for her. And sirius.. those pumpkin cupcakes are adorable!!

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 10:29am
post #12 of 17

Go to the Wilton Web site. they have some really cute basic ideas for kids. I used them when I taught my girl scout troop the basics.

vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 11:19am
post #13 of 17

sirus - you have some great stuff in your photos!

I think the roses would be great for a little girl to learn - easy and pretty. I made a cake recently for my mom that had the faces of each of her grandkids and grandpuppies on it. I got the idea from the wilton Family tree cake. An 8 year old could probably get the hang of making the buttercream circle with tip 12 and then adding the little details with tip 3...and my nephews and nieces loved the idea that they were on the slices of cake they were eating...

Eliza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eliza Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 12:34pm
post #14 of 17

Take a look at this. Some nice ideas on it:

http://www.bakedecoratecelebrate.com/projects.cfm?cat=4

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 12:43pm
post #15 of 17

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/icingfunkidsproject/

this is the section on Wiltons that I found for my Scouts to learn.

sirius Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 1:01pm
post #16 of 17

thanks to all of you for your lovely comments! the pumpkin cupcakes are rolled buttercream - easy to do. just cut out a disk the size of the top, smooth it on and score the sections with a small knife. take a little green rbc & shape it into the pumpkin top with your fingers. roll little ropes, twist and attach for the tendrills. tfl.

Iheartcake Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 7:11pm
post #17 of 17

Those websites were perfect! Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%