Help!!! Asap!! Pez Dispenser Cake????

Decorating By bulldog Updated 6 Dec 2006 , 6:43pm by bulldog

bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 9

Client wants a Pez dispenser cake for her son. She says it does not have to be standing up. It can lie flat on the board. I really am at a loss at how to do it either way. Any advice would be great. Help......

8 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 9

Hi-

I think a quarter sheet cake cut in half lengthwise and decorated like the part that holds the candy, then use the other part to carve a head. Or you could use rice krispy treats for the head. Then you could use either buttercream or fondant to decorate.

Good luck and be sure to post pictures!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 9

I would just put a bunch of squares together to form the bottom part.....if you're going to have it standing up you'll probably want to "make" yourself a stand.......something with a piece of board on the bottom.......then screw in a long metal rod pushing each square down onto the rod and down on the bottom board....once they're all stacked screw another piece of board to the top of the metal rod and place the "head" of the pez dispenser.......then when the cake is served you'd just unscrew the "head" on it's own board and then unscrew the metal rod and pull it out.....you may also opt to put every two squares of cake on a cardboard for ease in serving that way too.....just be sure and frost over the edges of the cardboards to hide them and the same with the board holding the "head" of the pez dispenser.....if you're laying it down you don't have to worry about building your own stand....although I think it would look totally awesome!!

jayhawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayhawk Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 9

I found a link to someone who's made a pez cake. It looks pretty easy. http://www.jeffpass.com/cakes/pez_cake_1.htm
Although I think it would be more fun to have some kind of character head on top instead of the dome. I hope this helps!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 9

just like the last poster said about the hardware....i think thats a great idea. depending on your budget....i went to home depot recently to get supplies for a stem illusion wedding cake. i bought a large piece of half inch mdf which they will cut for free to your size for about 5$. then i purchased a few floor flanges and screws (this is a fixture that allows you to screw or twist in a metal pole that has threads) the flanges were a couple dollars each. these and the metal pipes were in the plumbing department...the poles come in sizes between 2" tall to 36 " tall, are hollow, and stainless steal so super strong. the prices are cheap, about 1.50 to 7.00 each. so my construction is this: base board, floor flange screwed onto the middle, pipe twisted in, another board with the floor flange underneath it screwed in, so the pole can twist into it. i got the wood, 3 flanges, 3 poles and screws for like $15. i agree also that you should use cardboard inbetween every cake layer with dowels so it wont sink or tilt and look crooked. on the top cake board, you can do a carved 3-d cake for the top of the dispenser. how fun.

bulldog Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 9:51pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for all the ideas! I agree it could be really, really cute standing up. Still not sure what I am going to do, but I have a lot more ideas to go on. THANKS!! thumbs_up.gif

cakesbykellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykellie Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 9

i dont think it has to be very tall..... what if you baked a 12" square or two and cut them into 4 equal squares? stacked them and then dowelled them to the board(maybe on two corners)...... make a head on a 6" board and attach that to the top?
do you have a visual of what io'm talking about? lol sometimes, i can see my vision, and no one else has any idea WTH i am talking about!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 10:34pm
post #8 of 9

cakesbykellie, you are right. here i am thinking huge cake....a twelve inch square alone will feed quite a few people. and with it devided into four squares, stacked and doweled with one dowel in the center, it should work too. no need to go all out on hardware unless its gigantic.

bulldog Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks, once again. I think I am going to use a loaf pan w/ball pan on top, and make the bottom"foot" thingie out of fondant and let it dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%