Horrible Woman Dilemma

Decorating By murf Updated 5 Oct 2007 , 4:00pm by goodcakefairy

murf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
murf Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 7:48am
post #1 of 27

Morning all,
I exhibited at a wedding fayre 10 days ago and had a great day. Loads of lovely customers except for this one woman. She marched up, almost pushing aside a couple I was talking to, then started looking down her nose at my cakes. That put my back up after having spent most of the last 2 weeks getting the cakes perfect for the display! So then she says "got a portfolio?" Hmmmm 'please would be nice' I think but hand my book over. She flicks through as fast as humanly possible then interrupts my conversation by asking me to quote for a cake idea that quite frankly sounds gross. So I quote her double what I would do for anyone else he he. One week later and she's called me and only asked me to do the cake! So now I'm in a dilemma - on the one hand I feel like saying "not if I was the last cake decorator on the planet" but then maybe I should just take the money and laugh all the way to the bank..........................
devil or angel - what do you think????
Jenny

26 replies
cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 8:05am
post #2 of 27

Maybe she just comes across gruff - I know some poeple that look & talk like they are horrors and are really nice. Ask for a 50% deposit and then it's up to you if you charge the other 50%.

fiasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiasmama Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 8:06am
post #3 of 27

hehehe go to the bank! I think???hmmmm

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 8:06am
post #4 of 27

For me personally, I wouldn't want to waste my creativity and my energy making a cake for a rude person. I have 2 past customers that I will never deal with again. I am fully booked no matter the date for them.
For me the money is one satisfaction, but a customer's enjoyment of my edible art is another and that's priceless! icon_smile.gif

keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 8:10am
post #5 of 27

I agree with getting the deposit and the rest at least 2 wks before the event...she may just be one of those people that comes off the wrong way. Sometimes I wonder if people try to come off hard because they think they will get taken advantage of less? I don't know...but I say do it and laugh to the bank! icon_smile.gif It will be a nice profit for you! icon_wink.gif

LiliS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LiliS Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 8:10am
post #6 of 27

I generally go by first impressions and she doesnt come across as a nice person to deal with. You could be creating more headaches for yourself that no amount of money will soothe!!!

Good luck with your decision.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 8:22am
post #7 of 27

I'd make it - sh elooked at your work, liked it and is willing to pay the price. Other than be a bit pushy is there anything else she has done to be difficult?

It doesn't sound like she is that bad, just missing some manners or maybe always a bit in a hurry? I'd take make the cake for the price quoted, maybe it turns out you will get a new load of clients from her that you will be able to charge a higher price to?

KittyPTerror Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittyPTerror Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 8:29am
post #8 of 27

Hmmm...what does she want you to do? Is it the flavors she wants that sound gross or the general look of the cake? If she wants something that you think will taste or look bad to spite your talent, I don't think I would do it. I wouldn't want to put my name on something like that. On the other hand, maybe she just has no idea what would be good or look good and needs some guidance (though she doesn't really sound like she's the kind who would take it). Do you think she called a bunch of other decorators who have already told her they won't do her cake? Keep us posted- i love mean customer stories.

gingerkitten79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerkitten79 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 9:00am
post #9 of 27

I would do it, but get everything in writing first! EVERYTHING. Search previous threads for what to put on the contract to make sure you are fully covered.
Goodluck!

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:06pm
post #10 of 27

I say that life it too short to have to deal with unpleasant people if you don't have to. Even at double the price, some things are just not worth the trouble.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:10pm
post #11 of 27

Some people just don't have good people skills. Who knows what will transpire but whatever your quote was, she's willing to pay it. Could be you gave a lower quote than anyone else gave her because of her ways. I would do the cake and definitely get 50% non-refundable deposit and final payment 3 - 4 weeks before cake is due.
Good luck!!! Make sure to post that cake!!! icon_smile.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:56pm
post #12 of 27

She might just be one of those really direct people who comes across as abrupt and rude. I'd say do the cake at the rate you quoted, but be sure to document everything.

OT: Where in Surrey are you? I was born and grew up in Guildford!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:59pm
post #13 of 27

I would do it...BUT....I would also lay down the rules very clearly. Deposit, contract, sketches...make her approve everything in writing. If she doesn't do as you ask, then dump her.

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 4:13pm
post #14 of 27

Go for it, do it for the money i would.

clsilvus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clsilvus Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 4:13pm
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

She might just be one of those really direct people who comes across as abrupt and rude. I'd say do the cake at the rate you quoted, but be sure to document everything.

She's in the UK. I was born and raised in Surrey (BC). Where in Guildford were you (not like it's that big). icon_razz.gif

On-Topic, I say do the cake and give her the benefit of doubt. She may have just been in a rush to get somewhere, it could have been very important. Even if she is a pita you know you're getting paid for your trouble. thumbs_up.gif

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 4:14pm
post #16 of 27

I would do it, but with caution... if she is that rude when she is just looking, she might be one of those people you can never make happy and she might end up not liking the cake SHE designed no matter how great it is and be expecting a refund. Then you will have to deal with a bridezilla and end up giving her some of the money that made it all worth it back... Is it really worth that kind of aggravation? I guess it depends on how bad the design is, is it easy to make or will you be killing yourself to make a ugly cake that is going to have your name attached to it for as long as the pictures live.. Just a few things to think about..

cykrivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cykrivera Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 4:16pm
post #17 of 27

I would iron out all the details with her and do the cake. If she is willing to pay what you quoted and you say it was double, then she liked your cakes. She's probably not going to be the easiest cutomer ever, but she will at least be paying you plenty!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:18pm
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsilvus

Quote:

She's in the UK. I was born and raised in Surrey (BC). Where in Guildford were you (not like it's that big). icon_razz.gif

I think the Guildford, Surrey, BC was named after the Guildford, Surrey, UK, which is where I'm from originally. Reminds me of the British couple who bought a cheap flight on the internet to Sydney, and ended up in Nova Scotia for 2 weeks, not Bondi Beach!

clsilvus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clsilvus Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:56pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsilvus

Quote:

I think the Guildford, Surrey, BC was named after the Guildford, Surrey, UK, which is where I'm from originally. Reminds me of the British couple who bought a cheap flight on the internet to Sydney, and ended up in Nova Scotia for 2 weeks, not Bondi Beach!

Gotcha. I didn't realize there were so many cities with the same names. That would totally suck (British Couple/Sydney). I guess you gotta be careful with that kind of stuff!

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 6:01pm
post #20 of 27

Ok..here's my opinion..

If the lady was rude, you could have simply told her.."I'm talking to another couple right now, I'd be happy to speak with you when I'm finished"...or something along those lines. Charging her twice the amount you would normally charge someone else , well to me its a bit wrong. If you are in a business you will have all different types of customers...and yes, even some of them will be rude. Maybe she was stressed out and was a bit abrupt, but I don't think that should stop you from doing her cake.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 6:13pm
post #21 of 27

to me charging her double would be more honest than saying that I'm booked for a date if I wasn't really booked. She has the option of going to another decorator. She knew the price quote and accepted that amount.

I'd make sure she signs off on everything, every step of the way. Take the money, and look to see if you are really undercharging for your cakes.

CherryBomb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherryBomb Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 6:22pm
post #22 of 27

It depends...

How bad was the design? Discribe it for us because I'm dieing for a mental pictures.

Candes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candes Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 6:29pm
post #23 of 27

First impression - She won't be happy w/ anything you do.

If you go ahead I also would make her sign off on EVERYTHING. Heck video tape your meetings or record them! lol

BTW I think it's up to you what to charge. Customers can take or leave it.

My father was in a similar situation, really didn't want to do business w/ a certain individual and quoted a ridiculous price in hopes the customer wouldn't bite. Well he did and now my Dad is making a tipi for him.

Here's hoping you don't have to refund a dime and you gain an excellent client.

Erika513x2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika513x2 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 6:46pm
post #24 of 27

just tell her you are sorry there was a little mess up with the schedule and you're booked b/c eventhough the extra$ might be good I don't think it will be worth the hassle b/c she truely sounds likes B..... you know what. And she might even be one of those that might end up taking you to court b/c you already said she's very picky. But on the other hand she might have been that picky at the expo b/c wedding cakes are expensive and you kind've have to be picky for all that money. Also how was she on the phone did she continue to have an attitude????? I think you should let your gut feel guide you on this one. GL

murf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
murf Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 7:38pm
post #25 of 27

Thank you all for the replies. I have sent her a copy of all my terms and conditions and will wait and see what comes of it. She wanted this bizarre 5 tier job with LARGE figures of her and groom on the top cake then loads of odd bridge/steps between that and the other 4 cakes with figures of all 5 bridesmaids and ushers and best man etc etc etc and her auntie's goldfish, well ok so I made that up but you get the picture! It probably sounds much nicer how I describe it than how she did. I just thought bleurgh!Oh and it was all different colours with nothing that seemed to match!
Tubbscookies, I'm in Hooley which is a little village between Redhill and Purley. How funny is it that there is another Guilford in Surrey BC!
I know that I was a very bad person to quote double but she put my back up which is very unusual for me, but I just can't stand rudeness. I fully expected that there would be some of my cakes that weren't to everyone's tastes but you can just be polite - it costs nothing! I figure that I'm big enough and ugly enough to swallow my pride and do the cake if it comes down to it!

Candes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candes Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 3:15pm
post #26 of 27

Is she really serious about this cake? I guess if she puts up the money that will answer my question.

Something just doesn't feel right about this. I hope I'm wrong. I'm very curious how this turns out. You'll have to keep us posted.

I wouldn't go so far as saying you're a bad person. It's your perogative, is it not?

goodcakefairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodcakefairy Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 4:00pm
post #27 of 27

Run, run!!

This has disaster written all over it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%