Crusting Cream Cheese Frosting?

Decorating By khs1030 Updated 6 Jul 2006 , 11:45pm by BekkiM

khs1030 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khs1030 Posted 30 Jul 2005 , 10:16pm
post #1 of 10

I'm doing a small tiered carrot cake with cream cheese frosting this week, and I'm wondering whether there's such a thing as a crusting cream cheese frosting? If not, if I add meringue powder would that make it crust? I want it to crust a bit so the top tier doesn't stick and pull the frosting off the lower tier when it's served. Thanks!

9 replies
gdixoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdixoncakes Posted 30 Jul 2005 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 10

Here is the recipe I got off this website just a few days ago. HTH.

CRUSTING CREAM CHEESE ICING

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 pound cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
3 1/2 pounds sifted confectioner's sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream butter, shortening, cream cheese and extracts. Gradually add confectioner's sugar and salt. Beat on low speed until nice and creamy. If you want whiter icing, try to use butter without dyes available at most health food stores.

This recipe is for a stiff consistency. For a thinner consistency, use 3 pounds of powdered sugar instead.

If you want a very smooth cake, let the cake sit for 15 minutes after icing. Then smooth with the non-printed side of a Viva paper towel.

khs1030 Posted 30 Jul 2005 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 10

I love this site!!! Five minutes after posting my question, I'm good to go! Thanks.

khs1030 Posted 30 Jul 2005 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 10

I just went to the recipe archives to see its rating and couldn't find it. Does anyone have a crusting cream cheese recipe you've used and know is good?

Beebug123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beebug123 Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 1:42am
post #5 of 10

I don't think that this recipe has been submitted yet. But seems like PLENTY of people have tried it and loved it! We had a long thread going about it just last week I think...

cgys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgys Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 1:47pm
post #6 of 10

This is the cream cheese frosting recipe I use and it is fabulous. Very easy to work with. My one and only cake post is a carrot cake with this frosting.

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 2:10pm
post #7 of 10

cgys -

That cake is amazing. I can't believe it is cream cheese frosting. Now I just HAVE to try it!

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 27 Aug 2005 , 11:54pm
post #8 of 10

save

AJsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsMom Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 2:55am
post #9 of 10

I realize this initial post is almost a year old, but I tried this recipe for the first time tonight and was so disappointed. Was I wrong to think I could decorate with cream cheese frosting? It was so soft and melty. The temp in my house is pretty cool so I don't think that was it. Any other advice?

BekkiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BekkiM Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 11:45pm
post #10 of 10

I've used the Crusting Cream Cheese Icing recipe several times and had very good luck with it. If yours was runny, maybe your butter and cream cheese were too soft to start with? The butter should be pliable, but not mushy. I usually get my cream cheese as soft as possible and it seems to incorporate well--if it's too firm, it doesn't blend and you get flecks of cream cheese in your frosting.

Also, I have NEVER added 3 1/2 lbs of powdered sugar to mine--that's almost two full bags! icon_eek.gif I usually add just a cup or so over a 2 lb bag and it seems to work just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%