Crumb Coat On A Chocolate Cake

Decorating By bittytw25 Updated 26 Sep 2007 , 4:20am by kimberlina25

bittytw25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bittytw25 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:18am
post #1 of 7

I have been doing a lot of Chocolate cakes and when I put the cumb coat and then goto ice the cake the cumb coat comes off and then chocolate cumbs get on my icing. It looks bad and I have my first wedding cake this weekend and the grooms cake is chocolate. Any ideas to help me with this problem?

6 replies
gerry3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerry3 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:27am
post #2 of 7

anyone please help me to come out with an idea to make a 50th b'day cake for a guy. I am a new babe to this site,

33rpm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
33rpm Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:34am
post #3 of 7

I just did my first wedding cake, and parts of it's layers were chocolate, too. I put on my crumb coat and chilled the cake, then went back and iced it while it was still cold. Also, I used a small amount of Wilton's icing whitener to make the ivory icing more opaque. Worked like a charm!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:39am
post #4 of 7

If your crumb coat is peeling off of your cake it's too thick. You need to thin your icing and then put it on. It should not be a thick coating at all. You shoujld see your cake through it.. all of it. icon_biggrin.gif

idecorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idecorate Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:42am
post #5 of 7

After I do the crumb coat, I put the cake in the refrigerator for a while, then I go back and ice it. Are you using a thin layer for the crumb coat? If it's to thick, then the icing layer will pick the crumbs back up. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck. icon_smile.gif

gerry3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerry3 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:55am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bittytw25

I have been doing a lot of Chocolate cakes and when I put the cumb coat and then goto ice the cake the cumb coat comes off and then chocolate cumbs get on my icing. It looks bad and I have my first wedding cake this weekend and the grooms cake is chocolate. Any ideas to help me with this problem?

anyone please help me to come out with an idea to make a 50th b'day cake for a guy. I am a new babe to this site,

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 4:20am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry3

you might want to post this in the "Cake Idea" forum. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%